PDA

View Full Version : Stress cracks in hull near strut on 93 ProStar

glgisler
03-04-2012, 10:51 AM
I was waxing the bottom of this boat I recently purchased, and I found these cracks in the hull near the strut (which also appears to have a crack running through it) and more, less severe, near the rudder. Has anyone seen these in this area and/or are they of concern? Interestingly enough, this boat also has a crack in the fiberglass extrusion in the bildge which I have seen previously mentioned on the forum.

This boat has relatively low hours (~500), and otherwise is in excellent condition.

Thanks,
Gary

Jerseydave
03-04-2012, 11:52 AM
I'm not sure about the crack bilge area, but anything can be repaired. The gelcoat cracks underneath could be repaired by someone who does gelcoat repairs. If you grab the strut and try to move it does it feel rock solid? If so then you just have some cosmetic issues I think. (I'm no expert)

I would guess someone has done a few high-speed spin-outs (bat-turns) with this boat. That would put alot of stress on that strut/rudder area.

mikeg205
03-04-2012, 12:33 PM
Looks also like the strut may have been re-installed and over-torqued - also could have been a prop/rudder strike....looks like any easy repair or something to not think about it it doesn't leak. Did PO tell you of any collision of strut?

Crack in the glass would keep me up at night... MY OCD would make me remove the prop, rudder, check shaft alignment and repair...

glgisler
03-05-2012, 09:29 AM
Previous owner didn't say anything about this. I am sending him an email with pictures, because at the very least, I'd like to know how long it has been this way. I hear ya about the OCD - I may wind up pulling it apart.

glgisler
03-05-2012, 09:32 AM
Yes, the strut feels solid, but I've not set the boat in the water with the floor plate out to see if there are any leaks in that area. That's probably my next step.

willyt
03-05-2012, 10:09 AM
Ehhh those are some serious cracks. I've seen much less need extensive repairs to gel/glass. At very least that's going to make the gel bubble by letting water behind it.

tph
03-05-2012, 12:10 PM
Ehhh those are some serious cracks. I've seen much less need extensive repairs to gel/glass. At very least that's going to make the gel bubble by letting water behind it.

I've wondered about that. My boat has similar stress cracks in the same location by the strut. It's in the water 2 - 3 days a week during the summer. The cracks don't seem to be getting worse and no bubbling has started. It's interesting that owners worry about water intrusion through these types of cracks yet no one seems concerned about this opening in the hull below the water line:

rjracin240
03-05-2012, 12:20 PM
I was waxing the bottom of this boat I recently purchased, and I found these cracks in the hull near the strut (which also appears to have a crack running through it) and more, less severe, near the rudder. Has anyone seen these in this area and/or are they of concern? Interestingly enough, this boat also has a crack in the fiberglass extrusion in the bildge which I have seen previously mentioned on the forum.

This boat has relatively low hours (~500), and otherwise is in excellent condition.

Thanks,
Gary

I would also take a closer look at what appears to be a crack that runs from the aft screw hole to the next foward screw hole then off to the side of the plate as pictured in the second from top pictue on left side. (sorry dont know how to copy and paste the picture that is posted)

glgisler
03-05-2012, 07:08 PM
Thanks to all for your responses. I did contact the prior owner and he said that the boat never hit anything while he owned it (he's the second owner). He had a picture taken about a year ago from the rear of the boat towards the prop strut that I pulled off Ski it again, and if I blow it way up, the cracks in the gel coat are visible.
It's good to know that there's another example of these cracks and that they don't seem to be progressing, however, as rjracin240 indicated, the apparent crack in the base of the strut is worrisome, and it seems plausible that it might have been caused by overtorquing

ahhudgins
03-05-2012, 08:25 PM
Looks also like the strut may have been re-installed and over-torqued - also could have been a prop/rudder strike....looks like any easy repair or something to not think about it it doesn't leak. Did PO tell you of any collision of strut?

Crack in the glass would keep me up at night... MY OCD would make me remove the prop, rudder, check shaft alignment and repair...

Me too, and I would order a new strut and bushings before I even removed the old one.

mattb
03-05-2012, 09:51 PM
I recently purchased a boat with similar (but much worse) damage. The strut had a ton of silicon around it which helped hide, or "fix" (however you want to look at it...) I luckily caught this prior to the purchase, and although it was a decent bargaining chip, the repair was still pretty costly.

If the cracks are purely cosmetic, I'd say you can leave it, but regardless it's going to be a repair eventually either way - sooner or later is up to you. It's a high-stress area and a critical component of your boat. I'd get it in now before the season starts and have a worry-free enjoyable summer. You might luck out and just have a gel coat repair.

Here are some pics of my strut-area damage -

mikeg205
03-06-2012, 05:44 PM
Nice work...which resin did you use on the inside of the hull?

glgisler
03-06-2012, 06:14 PM
Wow - great picts! Thanks for sending and for the advice. While I feel completely confident I could do the mechanical stuff, the exterior Gelcoat is something I've not done, so I will probably leave that to someone with the appropriate experience/skills.

Table Rocker
03-06-2012, 07:16 PM
I wonder if a poorly aligned engine could cause enough vibration to crack a hull around a strut.

mattb
03-06-2012, 09:59 PM
Nice work...which resin did you use on the inside of the hull?

No clue? Unfortunately, this repair far exceeded my fiberglass skills. I did not want to take on any structural or load bearing repair myself.

Wow - great picts! Thanks for sending and for the advice. While I feel completely confident I could do the mechanical stuff, the exterior Gelcoat is something I've not done, so I will probably leave that to someone with the appropriate experience/skills.

No problem! I would leave it to the pro's unless it turns out to be purely cosmetic. Let us all know how it turns out and feel free to PM if you have any questions when it comes down to actually getting the repair done.