PDA

View Full Version : What Would You Recommend For Skiing

mybobtail
03-04-2012, 09:52 AM
Hi My Mate Is Looking At Getting A Mastercraft .he Came Down From The Country And We Went Out In My X14.as He Will Mainly Be Skiing And Towing Tubes I Showed Him The Size Of The Wake Mine Puts Out Standard Which I Feel Is Quite Big When I Am Trying To Ski. He Did Agree. So I Thought I Would Find Out What Some Of You Are Using And Recommending. He Does Want A Boat With The Seating In The Front As He Thinks That Is Great .as He Sold He Lewis Which Only Had 2 Seats In Front And No One Could Sit In Back If Using The Centre Pole.
Any Ideas Would Be Greatly Appreciated Thanks

Jerseydave
03-04-2012, 10:04 AM
I'm surprised that you feel your X-14 has a big slalom wake. From what I've heard that slalom wake is pretty flat. (x-14 owners could shed some light on this I'm sure)

Maybe an X-14V for your friend? That way the engine is in the back and he would have more seating/interior space.

mikeg205
03-04-2012, 12:13 PM
X-14 / PS 214 same hull so + 1 on Jerseydave's recommendation.

I love my PS 205 no tower....use a pole extension - room runs out quick with ballast and ski gear.

My favorite is the X-15...great for free-style skiing and space..IMHO..

93Prostar190
03-04-2012, 12:35 PM
I went from a Prostar 190 to our current 2008 214 ... We ski the course, we also take all day trips to the dam, barefoot, wakeboard, and chill .... The 214/x14 is great for skiing .... Maybe at slower speeds the bump at 22 off is a bit harsh but it is a great ride for skiing and boating ... Decent big water ride, easy to drive, tons of space

Just not a surf boat other than that really versatile .... Wake a little big? No way ... Get more on edge ;)

ricford
03-04-2012, 11:25 PM
I'm surprised that you feel your X-14 has a big slalom wake. From what I've heard that slalom wake is pretty flat. (x-14 owners could shed some light on this I'm sure)

Maybe an X-14V for your friend? That way the engine is in the back and he would have more seating/interior space.

If you're interested in pure skiing, stay away from a v-drive. You don't want all the weight in the back. Best ski boat is the 190, but admittedly not much interior room.

mybobtail
03-05-2012, 12:55 AM
ok thanks for tips so far.he loves the size etc of my boat .as to the wake it more me maybe i should listen to pro star and get more edge.because at the moment i am jumping the wake as i hitting it straight.( i still learning).i think we might go out again during week went not to many boats are out there and really have a good look at it.as we did discuss he buying mine and i buy something like a pro star .but now you all got me thinking .so thanks

waterlogged882
03-05-2012, 08:21 AM
Good luck down under.

Cloaked
03-05-2012, 08:45 AM
ok thanks for tips so far.he loves the size etc of my boat .as to the wake it more me maybe i should listen to pro star and get more edge.because at the moment i am jumping the wake as i hitting it straight.( i still learning).i think we might go out again during week went not to many boats are out there and really have a good look at it.as we did discuss he buying mine and i buy something like a pro star .but now you all got me thinking .so thanksThe Prostar series will serve well with slalom wake characteristics. That is for what the Prostar hull is designed.

For a crew of more than two, the 205 model will accommodate additional seating. The 190 can restrict movement and flexibility in the boat but keep in mind, it's not meant to be a pleasure boat. The 205 is the alternate to that aspect, as limited as that may be.

For waking, I'd look to a wake designed model other than the Prostar.

mikeg205
03-05-2012, 09:04 AM
The Prostar series will serve well with slalom wake characteristics. That is for what the Prostar hull is designed. Edging will indeed make improvements for slalom skiing. Your wake crossing should be with an increasingly aggressive pull on the tow line, keeping the slalom ski on edge through both wakes. Upon clearing the second wake, stop pulling and start into the transition of changing edges for the next pull across in the other direction. Other basics; knees bent, handle into the wasit area, elbows close, shoulders square to the boat, etc. Your mileage may vary with time on the water.

For a crew of more than two, the 205 model will accommodate additional seating. The 190 can restrict movement and flexibility in the boat but keep in mind, it's not meant to be a pleasure boat. The 205 is the alternate to that aspect, as limited as that may be.

+1 on what cloaked says...once you get more time on the water your confidence will conquer that evil wake. Plus learning with the right ski and moving up the slalom ski feature change. I don't ski enough, don't have luxury to ski multiple times per week so I ski a HO Comp Freeride. Lot's of surface area - even on edge I get some hop on even on my PS 205 velvet wake. Tried a HO Coefficient and a shorter length, a touch harder to get up, but the ski crosses the wake on edge much better.

Don't forget to train off ski, cycling, core training (yes pilates)...etc. and get a bosu ball and a extra ski handle to work on balance. The bosu ball and handle helps you get the feel of proper form when not on the water. The Bosu Ball is fun to work on deep water start training.

This guys luv's the hop on his slalom ski... :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU_605hliNw

Age Fighter
03-05-2012, 03:49 PM
ok thanks for tips so far.he loves the size etc of my boat .as to the wake it more me maybe i should listen to pro star and get more edge.because at the moment i am jumping the wake as i hitting it straight.( i still learning).i think we might go out again during week went not to many boats are out there and really have a good look at it.as we did discuss he buying mine and i buy something like a pro star .but now you all got me thinking .so thanks

I have an X 14 Direct Drive WITH A WAKE PLATE that I am preparing to sell. This is RARE indeed to have an X14 DD with plate. It ski's great. It's in NC. 2008. Mid 40's.