PDA

View Full Version : Sound off on the Power Tower

AZX45OD
03-02-2012, 02:58 PM
I am wanting to go from my 07 X30 to a newer X45. For those of you who have the power tower, is it worth the upgrade and extra cost of buying a new 2012 to get the tower? Or should I save my $$ and go with the older tower on a used X45?

I see a number of 2011's for sale with the older tower. Are they all selling because they want the power tower? Thoughts?

scott023
03-02-2012, 03:08 PM
I can't speak on the Power Tower. But you'll love the 45.

TheWoons
03-02-2012, 03:13 PM
IMO the Power Tower looks the best by far and has great functionality. And as of March/April they have a revision with stabilizing bars at the top corners. We ordered our new X-25 with the power tower

bjames
03-02-2012, 04:28 PM
IMO the Power Tower looks the best by far and has great functionality. And as of March/April they have a revision with stabilizing bars at the top corners. We ordered our new X-25 with the power tower

IMO the power tower is at the top in terms of aggressive menacing looks. My previous X25 with power tower turned a lot of heads... I mean a lot, to the point people would drive up beside me giving me the fingers (you know the one, kind of looks like "hang Loose" sign but its the new cool.... I know Im old) basically cheering me on as they drive by. Never had this reaction with any other boats I have owned.

With the updates installed to improve its rigitity, IMO its worth it. What I like is you can lower the tower to different heights to vary the amount of coverage by the bimini. Cant do that with any other tower.;)

onewheat
03-03-2012, 12:41 AM
For me, the question is - do you need to fold your tower often enough that it is worth $9000? I put my tower down for winter storage once and that's it. That isn't worth $9k to me. Just for looks?
Not worth it either.

AZX45OD
03-03-2012, 01:16 AM
Good point. Funny thing is, I just finished my boat garage with 12 foot doors. I will no longer need to fold down a tower for storage. I have heard though that it is nice for towing-no bugs on the speaker cans and better fuel economy.

It would also be interesting to see how you can manipulate the shade by raising/lowering.

TheWoons
03-03-2012, 02:27 AM
Retail is $8270 and when you factor in the discount you'll get on the boat its quite a bit less. The Bimini moves with the tower so you can shade areas more as the sun moves when you lower the tower. Not cleaning off bugs everytime you go is worth something too :)

ddanenberger
03-03-2012, 09:24 AM
we have to go under a railroad bridge each time out. At a push of a botton we don't have to mess with the boards on the racks, the bimini, or even get out of my seat. For this, the tower is pricless, I would pay double.

davidstan
03-03-2012, 09:50 AM
For me, the question is - do you need to fold your tower often enough that it is worth $9000? I put my tower down for winter storage once and that's it. That isn't worth $9k to me. Just for looks?
Not worth it either.
I am a one time down per yr guy also as my dock has clearance when boat is lifted but I do like the looks. Is the 9000 the up charge over a std tower?

2RLAKE
03-03-2012, 09:55 AM
friend of mine has one ... looks cool and all that ... but its something that could break and for me the lake is about relaxing with family and friends. As many other here, i put my tower down once a year, so or me its not worth it ... would rather take that money and buy more guns!

X25John
03-03-2012, 09:51 PM
You can tow with the manual tower in the down position. Just can't figure why MC can't make the power tower in a manual version since everyone seems to like it the best?

AZX45OD
06-02-2012, 01:44 PM
I would be interested to know what percentage of new boats are being ordered with the power tower vs manual. Does anyone have inside knowledge on this? I noticed that the PWT X-stars are manual towers. Will the power tower become a relic like GMC's "quadra-steer", or is it here to stay? Thoughts?

dlamont
06-02-2012, 02:03 PM
We won't be ordering many power towers for 2013. The new ZFT4 tower is so easy to fold up and down, the bimini is better, and so are the swivel racks. The power tower is also now $13k because it's hydraulic. I agree it probably looks the best but the ZFT4 is growing on me.

TheWoons
06-02-2012, 02:58 PM
How is the Bimini better and the swivel racks on the ZFT4 over the ZFT5P? No matter how easy it is to fold the ZFT4 up and down it's ugly as hell and and none look nearly as good as the ZFT5P :)

AZX45OD
06-02-2012, 03:19 PM
We won't be ordering many power towers for 2013. The new ZFT4 tower is so easy to fold up and down, the bimini is better, and so are the swivel racks. The power tower is also now $13k because it's hydraulic. I agree it probably looks the best but the ZFT4 is growing on me.

Just curious...it sounds like you are a dealer or work for a dealer. Is that right? Also, has the power tower always been hydraulic or is this a new modification? My power tower would have been produced late 2011 I would imagine..

Thank you for your insight

JohnE
06-02-2012, 03:38 PM
Power tower had electric actuators in its original version and now is hydraulic. No first hand knowledge but that is what I've read here.

AZX45OD
06-02-2012, 08:07 PM
Is there a way to tell which one I have? Electric actuators versus hydraulic?

AZX9
06-02-2012, 10:49 PM
I would think if it's hydrollic it would have a pump and hydrollic lines and rams visible somewhere.

bjames
06-04-2012, 07:50 PM
The Hydraulic actuators have a short rubber boot and the housing is more boxy in profile, also the hydraulic has 2 black lines going into the base of the cylinder.

The Electric actuators have a longer rubber boot and only have 1 thick power cable going into the housing.

Huskie05
06-04-2012, 09:46 PM
Power tower had electric actuators in its original version and now is hydraulic. No first hand knowledge but that is what I've read here.

True, and they will be replacing all the electric on warranty to hydrolic. Ours has always done well, after the upgrades they have done to the tower. Looking forward to the hydrolic change.

Djswin1
06-05-2012, 12:41 AM
We bought our 2011 X-15 this February (new demo model, with 12 hours on it) with the Power Tower, and at first I liked it but it kind of sounded as though it was straining to go up or down every time we raised or lowered it.

Well, fast forward to this Sunday at the lake and when we pulled up to the marina at the end of the day, it wouldn't go down at all. I think that the struts or actuators or whatever they are finally gave out.

We have a great dealer and they are going to take care of it as it should still be under warranty. I'll keep you posted.

bjames
06-05-2012, 12:19 PM
We bought our 2011 X-15 this February (new demo model, with 12 hours on it) with the Power Tower, and at first I liked it but it kind of sounded as though it was straining to go up or down every time we raised or lowered it.

Well, fast forward to this Sunday at the lake and when we pulled up to the marina at the end of the day, it wouldn't go down at all. I think that the struts or actuators or whatever they are finally gave out.

We have a great dealer and they are going to take care of it as it should still be under warranty. I'll keep you posted.

Try cycling the ignition (turn off, then back on) then lower. If that doesnt work swicth the battery selector to BOTH batteries, then cycle the ignition. It should lower then. I had this problem where the tower would lower a bit, then stop, then couldnt move it up or down. After doing the above it worked.

Huskie05
06-05-2012, 12:50 PM
We had to do that a couple times, turning off the batteries and then back on worked for us.

ddanenberger
06-05-2012, 01:55 PM
. We bought our 2011 X-15 this February (new demo model, with 12 hours on it) with the Power Tower, and at first I liked it but it kind of sounded as though it was straining to go up or down every time we raised or lowered it.

Just switch off the batteries and turn them back on. Lower the toweIt will continue to run even after in the down position. Then cycle it 2 or 3 timeThis will reset the stops. This will happen when you stop the tower without fully extending it or fully lowering it.

X25 ED
06-05-2012, 03:19 PM
I have a PT on our 2102 X25 and have not had any problems, I use it a lot for towing and storage we live in a area where we have a lot of low bridges and the it is so handy cruising through the Amsterdam canals and just lower the tower with a push of a button.
I must say that it does have more movement then the "old" 4 point tower we had on our 2009 X2, especially on rougher water.

Does someone now if there will be updates coming out like the extra support brackets and the hydrolic system?

Mastercraftdave
06-05-2012, 03:34 PM
The power tower is the best one in the MC line up. It looks the best buy far and the biminis huge and out of the way and huge. you will regret it if you dont get it

bjames
06-05-2012, 04:48 PM
The power tower is the best one in the MC line up. It looks the best buy far and the biminis huge and out of the way and huge. you will regret it if you dont get it

Not to mention how versitile it is. Which other bimini can you change the angle and have the tower/bimini at different heights. During a very windy day, i had the towerand bimini all the way down so it was like driving a car :)

AZX45OD
06-05-2012, 06:33 PM
Not to mention how versitile it is. Which other bimini can you change the angle and have the tower/bimini at different heights. During a very windy day, i had the towerand bimini all the way down so it was like driving a car :)

bjames:

I usually tow with the tower down and the bimini just at windshield level. I have towed up to 2 hours liked this (usually 1 hour trip to lake) and it seems fine. I am wondering what about Lake Powell in a few weeks. That is a 5-6 hour drive. Do I take down the canvas and leave the frame? Leave it all intact and just lower it? What do you do?

bjames
06-05-2012, 07:56 PM
bjames:

I usually tow with the tower down and the bimini just at windshield level. I have towed up to 2 hours liked this (usually 1 hour trip to lake) and it seems fine. I am wondering what about Lake Powell in a few weeks. That is a 5-6 hour drive. Do I take down the canvas and leave the frame? Leave it all intact and just lower it? What do you do?

Do you have the tower braces that you install when the tower is down. These braces keep the tower supported when stored in the down position. If so, then you should always trailer with the tower down and locked (with the braces). Also if your trailering cover covers the tower, then you can leave the bimini cavas on, but if your travel cover doesnt cover the tower, then you should remove the canvas and leave the frame on.

teamcanada
06-05-2012, 10:42 PM
I am looking at a 2011 25 with a power tower but no bimini. Anyone know how expensive it is to order and how involved to install?

bjames
06-06-2012, 11:36 AM
I am looking at a 2011 25 with a power tower but no bimini. Anyone know how expensive it is to order and how involved to install?

If you get your boat with a power tower, then you shouldnt have to install it. If your thinking of adding a PT to a 2011 X25 yourself then thats a different story. Someone else asked how much it would be to add a PT to an existing boat. The cost was rediculously expensive. somewhere around $15K???

teamcanada
06-06-2012, 12:56 PM
Sorry I meant that question in reference to the bimini and purchase/installation of one on a powe tower. Sorry for the confusion.

Eagle
06-06-2012, 02:02 PM
Just curious...it sounds like you are a dealer or work for a dealer. Is that right? Also, has the power tower always been hydraulic or is this a new modification? My power tower would have been produced late 2011 I would imagine..

Thank you for your insight
I don't work for a dealer but dlamont does -- he's the gm of the Seattle MC dealer and a great guy. I bought my 2 MC's from him and he's the best.

bjames
06-06-2012, 02:43 PM
Sorry I meant that question in reference to the bimini and purchase/installation of one on a powe tower. Sorry for the confusion.

Bimini is like $1200 (give or take). Your PT should already have the mounts for it. So installation should be a snap.