PDA

View Full Version : Amount of force on a pylon?

73blue
03-01-2012, 06:01 PM
Anyone know where I could find a chart or something showing the amount of force put on a pylon when wakeboarding? This guy is wanting to put a pylon on his 15' center console and I'm trying to explain if he goes much higher than the top of the motor he's going to flip his boat.

Jerseydave
03-01-2012, 07:23 PM
That would depend on the rider. The first time I pulled Keith Lyman with my X-star my tower made noises that I never heard before! :D

On that 15 footer the driver will have his hands full with most riders behind it I would assume.

Cloaked
03-01-2012, 07:26 PM
Anyone know where I could find a chart or something showing the amount of force put on a pylon when wakeboarding? This guy is wanting to put a pylon on his 15' center console and I'm trying to explain if he goes much higher than the top of the motor he's going to flip his boat.Very little force. Encourage him to proceed and take pictures on the maiden voyage... A 15-footer should handle this easily.... did I mention pictures? This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity... :D

willyt
03-01-2012, 09:09 PM
screw pictures. take video. commission another vessel to take more video.
i imagine it will go something like this (i know its been posted before)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UEETjztLqI

mikeg205
03-01-2012, 09:27 PM
screw pictures. take video. commission another vessel to take more video.
i imagine it will go something like this (i know its been posted before)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UEETjztLqI

luv the video... can't believe he did not back off throttle when the boat started bouncin' earlier...

MIskier
03-01-2012, 11:44 PM
Just some very ruff calculations but based off of a 15' Boston Whaler Montauk the moment to heel 1 degree would probably be right around 50 ft-lb/degree which means that a rider would have to generate a moment of about 3000 ft-lb to swamp the boat assuming a 60 degree list.

Latin Flyer
03-02-2012, 04:46 AM
You dont need to be an engenier to know that it aint going to work!!!!!

2RLAKE
03-02-2012, 07:15 AM
Just some very ruff calculations but based off of a 15' Boston Whaler Montauk the moment to heel 1 degree would probably be right around 50 ft-lb/degree which means that a rider would have to generate a moment of about 3000 ft-lb to swamp the boat assuming a 60 degree list.

The engineer in me was doing a similar calculation in my head just now ....

wakescene
03-02-2012, 07:26 AM
Anyone know where I could find a chart or something showing the amount of force put on a pylon when wakeboarding? This guy is wanting to put a pylon on his 15' center console and I'm trying to explain if he goes much higher than the top of the motor he's going to flip his boat.

I highly doubt any rider could flip a boat. List side to side, absolutely, cause it to plane at a different angle, yes, create new drag and unfamiliar behavior to the driver, yes. Flip, no. That would have to be one tall pylon to create such forces.

I have ridden and also built my own pylon, so I do speak from experience in this dept. 8ft tall pylon on a 20ft SeaRay. We could pull the boat a bit, but nothing crazy. Even though not connected to the pylon, a slalom skier created much more force then a wakeboarder on that boat. http://wakeboardnj.com/projects/homebuiltpole.htm

MIskier
03-02-2012, 09:38 AM

I should also mention that is for a static condition...that calculation becomes much more difficult when the boat is on plane.

jk13
03-02-2012, 10:00 AM
Today's boats are much heavier than our old '50s Dorsett, but my brother could pull the prop out of the water with the tow bar 4" above the outboard motor.

Never flipped it.

rgardjr1
03-02-2012, 10:53 AM
Maybe he could straddle the center console with a ladder?

Millertime
03-02-2012, 11:03 AM
LMAO!!!! That's brilliant, even a spot for the spotter.
:uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme

Ski-me
03-02-2012, 11:21 AM
LMAO!!!! That's brilliant, even a spot for the spotter.
:uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme

I think he is just protecting the Bimini....:D

93Prostar190
03-02-2012, 11:25 AM
Darwin? is that you?

2RLAKE
03-02-2012, 12:04 PM
knock knock ... darwin award winner

2RLAKE
03-02-2012, 12:05 PM
.. and the last thing they said ... hey hold my beer and watch this

Rockman
03-02-2012, 01:11 PM
.. and the last thing they said ... hey hold my beer and watch this

No, that was before he said "Oh SH!T!!!!!!". :D

tex
03-02-2012, 01:25 PM
I used to have a 1980 ski supreme. I had the fly high extended pylon and could pull the prop out of the water when I got really wide on my wakeboard.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-02-2012, 01:31 PM
I used to have a 1980 ski supreme. I had the fly high extended pylon and could pull the prop out of the water when I got really wide on my wakeboard.

My son has tried to do that to my '77 S&S without any luck.

73blue
03-02-2012, 04:30 PM
Great responses guys. Thanks. His boat weighs 900lbs, fwiw, so a bit different from an i/o or an inboard. I agree the rider probably has something to do with it. My 280lb butt won't be ridin behind him thankfully.

Funny story. My dad was pulling some of my uncles on a tube years ago behind a little outboard. Couldn't get on plane so he had one of them sit in the bow, got some slack in the rope, and took off. Rope tightened and instead of the tube coming out, the bow rose straight up, throwing my uncle (who couldn't swim) over my dad's head and out the boat. Well, its funny now anyway since no one died. Unfortunately it was before they had access to video equipment.

rkhodges21
03-02-2012, 04:48 PM
That is crazy! I remember when I was about 12 my dad had a pontoon with a 60 mercury on it. 21 footer I believe. Me and my bro liked to tube, and with my dad (300 lbs) and my stepmom in the boat and me and my brother on the tube, it would do ok. Well one day we had another family on the boat with us, a 190 lb guy, his 350 lb wife, and their overweight daughters. it was all that boat could do to plane out with me on a tube. Needless to say, that was the worst boating experience of my 12 year old life.

sp00ky
03-02-2012, 06:44 PM
luv the video... can't believe he did not back off throttle when the boat started bouncin' earlier...

I keep waitin for this to happen with the dumbass rednecks on Lanier. It's a problem when only your prop is in the water.

millpondkid
03-02-2012, 09:48 PM
I remember when I was 12 yrs old and 110 lbs soaking wet I learned to ski behind my dads 14 ft fishing boat with a 50 hp merc. Well my cousins husband wanted to try to ski he was 6' 4" and had to weigh 250 plus well the boat couldn't pull him out of a deep start so next he sat on the bow of the pontoon we had out and when he said HIT IT. My dads boat drug him and the pontoon full of people about 20 ft with everyone laughing.

rkhodges21
03-05-2012, 08:48 AM
Did his shorts get stuck on the pontoon boat or something?

millpondkid
03-05-2012, 01:51 PM
I wouldn't say his shorts got stuck but he was sitting so deep on the bow(not on the edge) after my dad stopped he yelled back to him SIT ON THE EDGE, then he got pulled off the edge and underwater he went, drug about 10ft and let go my dad says this isn't going to work, which looking back I think my dad knew that this boat wouldn't get him up and just wanted a laugh. oh boy there were some great laughs at the lake.

rkhodges21
03-05-2012, 02:32 PM
Ok. I see. That must have been funny to watch.