PDA

View Full Version : The fate of the X1

rkhodges21
03-01-2012, 02:29 PM
I was trying to do a search but wasn't getting very far so I thought I would ask if MC has for sure discontinued building the X1 (205V hull). I guess that is a small hull compared to what most people are looking for nowadays. Also, with the newly designed X Star, do you think MC will quit building that hull or could you see them introducing it as a different X model like they did to the 205 hull when they retired it from X star naming?

jason95gt
03-01-2012, 02:54 PM
Unless you are overseas, the 205v X-1 and 03-11 X-Star are discontinued. They are shipping a hand full of X-1's over seas without motors as they don't have the catalyst requirement that the US has.

rkhodges21
03-01-2012, 02:59 PM
Ok. I figured they were prolly done with the 205v hull. There is a ton of them out there and MC has definitely made their money with the molds they used to make them, but I was wondering since they used them for so long if they would decide to continue to use the 03-11 X star hull. I guess when you think about it they really don't need to with all the pickle forks in their line up currently.

Lakeside09
03-01-2012, 08:12 PM
Unless you are overseas, the 205v X-1 and 03-11 X-Star are discontinued. They are shipping a hand full of X-1's over seas without motors as they don't have the catalyst requirement that the US has.

Can you please elaborate on this?

bjames
03-02-2012, 01:34 PM
If they release the old Xstar hull, will it be called the X-xstar or Ex-xstar?

76S&S
03-02-2012, 01:39 PM
version x-xstar.2

helton333
03-02-2012, 01:47 PM
In my gut I don't see how this is a great idea - the economy has pushed people two ways - those who can buy a boat, buy an Xstar or upper level boat - those who can't, can't. When things turn around, I just feel there will be a lot of people in the market for a boat in line with where the X1 was.

JRW160
03-02-2012, 02:05 PM
If the factory is running at full capacity, it makes sense to drop the less profitable boats. If they were hurting for orders then I could see the need to keep it around, but I don't think that is the case.

rkhodges21
03-02-2012, 02:51 PM
Someone had said that they continued to make the X1 because it was a cheaper boat that people would pay for to have the new warranty. The way I figure is they have made a lot of money on their 03-11 X star hull, so I just thought that maybe they might do the same thing with it. Sell yesterday's technology with a warranty so its a less expensive quality boat that everyone ie buyer, company, dealer can be happy that a transaction has taken place. Isn't that basically what the Moomba is?

bturner2
03-02-2012, 06:26 PM
I heard the new motors wouldn't fit in the X1 and once the Indmars were gone that would be the end of the X1. Appearently the Indmars are all gone.

coz
03-02-2012, 06:36 PM
If they release the old Xstar hull, will it be called the X-xstar or Ex-xstar?

........:D

jason95gt
03-02-2012, 07:29 PM
They have shipped some X-1s over seas for them to develop the electric boat along with put whatever motor they want to. They no longer have a relationship with Indmar so the boat cannot be shipped with a motor either way. That is the only place they are going.

On a side note, many people say that they can't believe they are no longer building that boat but in reality no one bought it. If all these people actually went into the dealer and ordered one or bought one the fate would not be where it is today. Saying and doing are completely different and most that say, on the X-1 do not DO.

The other point is that with the way that boat priced out, for about $6k more you had an X-2.

JohnE
03-04-2012, 04:46 PM
Someone had said that they continued to make the X1 because it was a cheaper boat that people would pay for to have the new warranty. The way I figure is they have made a lot of money on their 03-11 X star hull, so I just thought that maybe they might do the same thing with it. Sell yesterday's technology with a warranty so its a less expensive quality boat that everyone ie buyer, company, dealer can be happy that a transaction has taken place. Isn't that basically what the Moomba is?

There would be no point to continue the use of the 03-011 mold IMO. It only did one thing well and they are replacing it with one that does that better. To continue to build it would be to have: 1. The best wakeboard wake available in any boat that doesn't
T do anything else well, and 2. The second best wakeboard wake available in a boat that doesn't do anything else well. And put that in a lineup that has an x25 and new x30 that have incredible boarding wakes along with great surf wakes. Bottom line - if the new Star is all its supposed to be - then the old star goes away forever. I think....

BMG
03-04-2012, 11:10 PM
I still can't believe that MasterCraft would even consider discontinuing the 03-11 x star. One of the most popular, legit, king of all wakeboats discontinued? Thats just stupid. They should keep this hull in production re-named. Like someone said above the EX-Star. I completely get making a bigger better X-Star, but come on.

Rukowh
03-05-2012, 12:03 AM
I guess I have mixed emotions abou the elimination of the x1. Its basiclly the same boat as my 99' 205v, so they have been making it a long time. there doesnt seem to be many used ones on the market compared to the numbers that must have been produced in that period. I'm including all 205v x-star, x2, x1 etc. v drive configurations of course. I have always heard that it was the best selling, best all around, and most sought after mastercraft ever made. I see way more of the newer pickle forks for sale even though there are fewer of those boats in existence. (based on assumption not documented facts) so evidently poeple who have them are hanging on to them. But then when you look at the x-1 alongside the newer MC boats it is ultra conservative (like me). It looks almost like it was made by a different manufacturer. they are even changing the logos. If i ever trade up, it will be for a nicer version of what I already have. It won't be for a pickle fork hull with skulls on the sides.

MIskier
03-05-2012, 01:16 AM
I still can't believe that MasterCraft would even consider discontinuing the 03-11 x star. One of the most popular, legit, king of all wakeboats discontinued? Thats just stupid. They should keep this hull in production re-named. Like someone said above the EX-Star. I completely get making a bigger better X-Star, but come on.

What you are proposing would be shooting themselves...in both feet.

MIskier
03-05-2012, 01:18 AM
I guess I have mixed emotions abou the elimination of the x1. Its basiclly the same boat as my 99' 205v, so they have been making it a long time. there doesnt seem to be many used ones on the market compared to the numbers that must have been produced in that period. I'm including all 205v x-star, x2, x1 etc. v drive configurations of course. I have always heard that it was the best selling, best all around, and most sought after mastercraft ever made. I see way more of the newer pickle forks for sale even though there are fewer of those boats in existence. (based on assumption not documented facts) so evidently poeple who have them are hanging on to them. But then when you look at the x-1 alongside the newer MC boats it is ultra conservative (like me). It looks almost like it was made by a different manufacturer. they are even changing the logos. If i ever trade up, it will be for a nicer version of what I already have. It won't be for a pickle fork hull with skulls on the sides.

The Ilmor wouldn't fit without extensive modifications, they have already made back their money many times over on the tooling, and it was a very slow selling model in the last couple of years. It made no business sense to keep the boat in production.

As someone else pointed out if everyone that said the X-1 should have been kept and they would buy one...well if they had actually bought them the boat would not have been discontinued.

Rukowh
03-05-2012, 02:21 AM
The Ilmor wouldn't fit without extensive modifications, they have already made back their money many times over on the tooling, and it was a very slow selling model in the last couple of years. It made no business sense to keep the boat in production.

As someone else pointed out if everyone that said the X-1 should have been kept and they would buy one...well if they had actually bought them the boat would not have been discontinued.

I didn't say they should keep it. Just that it was once known as the top of the mark for a long long time. X1 sales were down of late because MC priced it higher than the market would bear. In down markets sometimes its better to cater to the high end where there is more disposable income unless your product is overpriced for what it is. I believe this is the case here. If the X1 were priced correctly it would be substantially cheaper than the new xstar and cost MC sales of higher priced, more profitable units. I understand why and I can assure you that I don't need a lecture about buisness sense, or for you to repeat what "somebody else already pointed out".

BMG
03-06-2012, 09:57 AM
What you are proposing would be shooting themselves...in both feet.

I don't see how, and I know this is outside MC's business model, but how cool would it be if MC reintroduced the old hull with no frills, just all core bare bones wakeboat? I'd buy one definitely.

ShawnB
03-06-2012, 10:56 AM
I don't see how, and I know this is outside MC's business model, but how cool would it be if MC reintroduced the old hull with no frills, just all core bare bones wakeboat? I'd buy one definitely.

Waste of time for MC. If you want an X1 you can still find plenty of them on the secondary market. I love the 205V but it's not a modern wake boat. At 50k it would be a hard sell next to an A20 or other bare-bones offering.

captain planet
03-06-2012, 11:09 AM
I didn't say they should keep it. Just that it was once known as the top of the mark for a long long time. X1 sales were down of late because MC priced it higher than the market would bear. In down markets sometimes its better to cater to the high end where there is more disposable income unless your product is overpriced for what it is. I believe this is the case here. If the X1 were priced correctly it would be substantially cheaper than the new xstar and cost MC sales of higher priced, more profitable units. I understand why and I can assure you that I don't need a lecture about buisness sense, or for you to repeat what "somebody else already pointed out".

No, sales were down because the X-14V, 214V is basically the modernized version of the X-1/205V. The 214V does everything the 205V did and increased the interior size of the boat which has greater mass appeal. The MC dealer in my area sells more 214V/X-14V hulls than anything else so the trend for this versatile hull still exists, just in a new/modernized form.

Tomi
03-06-2012, 12:46 PM
What country is this "overseas" where they don't have emission regulations? I searched Google maps but could not find it?

DemolitionMan
03-06-2012, 12:49 PM
RIP X1, X5, X9, X10, and X80.

MIskier
03-06-2012, 01:56 PM

Even as a "core bare bones" boat that hull is still expensive to produce. When people talk about a bare bones boat that would mean eliminating the touch screen, heater, heated seats, and the power tower.

Other than the power tower there are not significant savings in any of those other options. The majority of the cost involved in the mfg. process is labor related. That is a fixed cost, and is not going any lower.

With the x-25 and x-30 it just does not make sense to have another 70k boat in their stable, especially one that has already been around for a decade.

rkhodges21
03-06-2012, 03:22 PM
No, sales were down because the X-14V, 214V is basically the modernized version of the X-1/205V. The 214V does everything the 205V did and increased the interior size of the boat which has greater mass appeal. The MC dealer in my area sells more 214V/X-14V hulls than anything else so the trend for this versatile hull still exists, just in a new/modernized form.

I agree with you. Most people want a bigger boat, so the X14 makes sense for a versatile boat.

With the x-25 and x-30 it just does not make sense to have another 70k boat in their stable, especially one that has already been around for a decade.

I can see what you are saying. You have the X25 that is 21'6" and the X35 which is 23'6" so you really don't need a 10 year old 22'6" boat in that mix. I also wonder if the X45 will be next on the chop block as the new X Star is approximately the same size now.

snork
03-06-2012, 03:51 PM
I think some of ya are mixing two boats on this thred the (205v, original xstar, X2 and then X1) with the 04-11 XStar

snork
03-06-2012, 03:53 PM
RIP X1, X5, X9, X10, and X80.

and lets not forget the current XStar :confused:

Rukowh
03-06-2012, 06:00 PM
My 205v was one of t he first years to have this hull and v drive set up. My boat in particular was a fairly no frills boat. No perfect pass no tower etc. I bought it used but I have the original invoice from 1999. Cost including tax was under 35,000.

MIskier
03-06-2012, 11:10 PM
My 205v was one of t he first years to have this hull and v drive set up. My boat in particular was a fairly no frills boat. No perfect pass no tower etc. I bought it used but I have the original invoice from 1999. Cost including tax was under 35,000.

With the cost of materials, remember almost everything on a boat is petroleum derived, and labor rates to build a 35k boat right now MC would have to do some serious cutting to the quality of the boat to get to that price.

BuffaloCruiser
03-14-2012, 01:08 AM
As an owner of a 2003 X2, that is still in darn good shape, I have been seriously been thinking of moving on to a newer ride. Not that I need a new boat, it's just time to maybe move into a 09 or 10 with a bit more room. Which boat out there can I replace it with ? Does MC have anything that can ski with a very reasonable wake ? Wakeboard as good as anything out there IMO, and with some work, surf not too bad. Oh ya, and handle like a race car ! Do I go with the new X2 ? The pickle forks scare me for constantly having to keep the water from coming over the bow. My friends 45 loves to dip and take on water. Is the X15 the answer ? I don't know much about them but it looks like a nice boat ? The problem is the wife likes to ski, I like the surf, and the kids are liking the wakeboard.

MIskier
03-14-2012, 01:14 AM
Prostar 214/214V is the jack of all trades master of none boat if you don't want to go with an x2.

sand2snow22
03-14-2012, 01:14 AM
...............^ or VTX

BuffaloCruiser
03-14-2012, 01:22 AM
Holy crap Sand, I was gonna mention the VTX but I thought I may get in trouble :eek::eek:

tr6coug
03-14-2012, 01:28 AM
Don't let the fear of dripping the bow in the water scare you away from the X2. Just keep the bow up when crossing a wake. Once you learn how to drive it, it is not a big deal. I think the X45 may be more likely to do this than the X2. The X45 bow seems lower than the X2.

BuffaloCruiser
03-14-2012, 10:39 AM
Do you have the new X2? I drove one last summer and it was really nice, just thinking the traditional bow of the X 15 may handle the larger water better? Some people tell me the 15 is better and some, even dealers like the X2. Either boat looks really nice, but as a casual skier I still think I'm going to lose a better wake with the old X2-X1.

snork
03-14-2012, 11:30 AM
Just drive and buy. you'll love the first test drive and the last, all of MC lineup less than 23' will do the trick

jason95gt
03-14-2012, 12:11 PM
The X-15 will ski better while the X-2 is a smoother ride.

tr6coug
03-14-2012, 03:41 PM
Do you have the new X2? I drove one last summer and it was really nice, just thinking the traditional bow of the X 15 may handle the larger water better? Some people tell me the 15 is better and some, even dealers like the X2. Either boat looks really nice, but as a casual skier I still think I'm going to lose a better wake with the old X2-X1.

Yes sir, I do. Can't comment on the ride of the X15. I have driven and wakeboarded behind both the X1 and new X2. The X2 has a larger wake in width and height (slightly) than the X1, but the X1 wake is sharper at the top. For Skiing, the X1 would be better.

BuffaloCruiser
03-14-2012, 10:10 PM
Great! I am going to a boat show this weekend and will really check them out. Thanks

snork
03-14-2012, 11:29 PM
if I'm not mistaken the X15 and current X2 has the same hull with exception the X2 has the pickle fork

sand2snow22
03-15-2012, 01:08 AM
Yes sir, I do. Can't comment on the ride of the X15. I have driven and wakeboarded behind both the X1 and new X2. The X2 has a larger wake in width and height (slightly) than the X1, but the X1 wake is sharper at the top. For Skiing, the X1 would be better.

Ummm.....You can ride behind my 05 X-2, I'll show you height. Yes mine is bigger than yours :D X-1 is steeper and taller. X-2 wake is wider and rampier....

willyt
03-15-2012, 08:39 AM
^ what he said. 205v for sure.

agarabaghi
03-15-2012, 09:00 AM
yea, an x1 with ~3100lbs of weight will have a wake most any trick can be done behind. Even with out the extra sacs my "stock" hidden setup has had plenty of 900s thrown behind it.

captain planet
03-15-2012, 11:22 AM
if I'm not mistaken the X15 and current X2 has the same hull with exception the X2 has the pickle fork

That is a negative ghost-rider. Those two hulls are different. The X2 is 20 feet long 96" wide, the X15 is 21' 8" and 100" wide. The deadrise at the transom is also different, the X15 having the shallower deadrise beteween the two IIRC.

snork
03-15-2012, 01:25 PM
That is a negative ghost-rider. Those two hulls are different. The X2 is 20 feet long 96" wide, the X15 is 21' 8" and 100" wide. The deadrise at the transom is also different, the X15 having the shallower deadrise beteween the two IIRC.

I was mistaken, my bad, wont happen again:rolleyes: