PDA

View Full Version : Speed control

jonnyski2
03-01-2012, 09:10 AM
Members , I'm looking for suggestions on speed controls . I just bought a 2001 190, not sure which way to go. PP, stargazer?

DooSPX
03-01-2012, 09:35 AM
Perfect Pass makes Stargazer. If you going to do from stratch, I think you should go ahead and get the GPS based stargazer. If you trying to do it budget minded, you could find a used PP Digital Pro unit with multi-line display and upgrade the box to Stargazer later.

02ProstarSammyD
03-01-2012, 10:08 AM
what kind of water are you on? The paddlewheel is better if you are riding waters with current.

I just upgraded to stargazer but haven't used it yet so have no valid opinion other than it seems pretty slick and the install is 3 min if you decide to upgrade down the road.

There are alternatives to PP such as ridesteady and ZO

ZO has a gps system but believe ridesteady is a paddlewheel system. I personally had issues with my paddlewheel and thats why I upgraded. PP was very helpful in trying to track the problem but IMHO 129+ shipping for a paddle wheel is insane. All of these systems are pretty high dollar now but can be pieced together easily through ebay and places like ski it again. I think you can prob piece a system together for 4-500. If I'm wrong someone correct me but thats what I added up last time. If you want to upgrade to stargazer later its simple install wise and you'll still end up spending less than an out of the box system.

Great lakes also had some packages on ebay that seemed reasonable for mech systems. Give some info on your boat too.

Just an fyi and not trying to gank your thread but if you are looking to piece together a system I have a display and wakeboard pro master module I'll sell you pretty cheap. you'd need a handful of other parts+wiring but you would end up far cheaper than a new system.

If cost is not a factor and you are on non current water I'd just pop for stargazer and be done.

19_Skier
03-01-2012, 11:08 AM
Zero Off is not compatible with a 2001 as you need drive by wire for it.

If you are running on lakes I'd say go with Perfect Pass Stargazer. If you are running on rivers with current, go with the paddlewheel PP.

If you are on a tight budget, a gps speedometer is a happy medium as well.

DooSPX
03-01-2012, 11:24 AM
02ProstarSammyD, the ridesteady is a interesting system, but very limited info on their site, and only seems to be used for wakeboarding. Do you have other info on it?

jwroblew
03-01-2012, 01:51 PM
Members , I'm looking for suggestions on speed controls . I just bought a 2001 190, not sure which way to go. PP, stargazer?

What's the main usage for speed control? Free skiing, course skiing, wake boarding? Also what kind of body of water are you using it in? Large, Small?

At one time I had PP classic and upgraded to Stargazer, it gave me all kind of problems, mainly because of my short set up into the slalom course, especially if I had a rookie driver. Fast first segment times with slow second segment or vise verse. Switched back to classic then eventually went the Zero Off route, which is a whole other story.

02ProstarSammyD
03-01-2012, 02:22 PM
02ProstarSammyD, the ridesteady is a interesting system, but very limited info on their site, and only seems to be used for wakeboarding. Do you have other info on it?

Not a bit. There was quite a bit of discussion on wake world about it if I recall. Id google and see what pops up on forums. To me it looks pretty much like PP. Most of these places are more informative if you call them. Perfect Pass is pretty old school on wanting you to call too.

Ridesteady looks like an identical version of PP but if you submit install pics the price drops to like 800. Not too shabby but again no real feedback on it from me.

DooSPX
03-01-2012, 02:39 PM
I asked them on their FB page about slalom skiing, and received this response...

"We've had a surprising number of people ask about using Ridesteady for slalom skiing. Lower speeds are fine, but once you get into 30+ MPH speeds, RPM-based pull is definitely smoother. Thanks for your comment, and we'll definitely take it into consideration!"

They are looking into a add-on RPM based pull, but lord knows when it will happen.

jonnyski2
03-01-2012, 10:35 PM
Thanks , for all the advice members I think I'm going to get the Star gazer 3 - event.