PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade?

dgaugler
02-29-2012, 11:09 PM
Debating on if this makes good sense or not. I have a 96 Maristar 200 Vrs, 420hrs, and overall in good shape but will need new vinyl in a year or two. So the question is I found a 2000 maristar 230 with a few less hours and in excelent condition. It also hasafew options I've been consider upgrading my current boat with. Dual batteries, shower, ect. So I could sounds a couple grand on upgrading the old boat and have everything I want or for a couple more grand have a newer boat with the extras and a little more room. What do you guys think?

davidstan
03-01-2012, 07:26 AM
I did the same thinking a yr ago and went a little overboard. I paid a lot more than I wanted but the thought of new interior, stereo, tower and adding PP and some ballast and knowing I still had the same boat and hours 9 to 12 grand later made me go with the x2.

73blue
03-01-2012, 09:24 AM
A big question to ask is "Do you need the extra room?". Extra room generally means extra weight, extra fuel, extra garage space, extra strain on the engine, etc. If you need it, its worth it. I had the chance a couple years ago to go from a 2004 X-10 (that needed all-new upholstery) to an 06 X-45 for a pretty good deal. Almost pulled the trigger but when I really looked at it, I couldn't justify driving around all that extra boat. Maybe 6yrs ago when I'd have 8-10 people coming out, but now its usually me, the gf, and a couple others. I spent a little less money, got the upholstery job, and have a good-looking one-owner boat that I've personally put all the hours on, know how everythings hooked up, and can perform most repairs on.

Now if the choice was a new X-25, it may be a different story.