PDA

View Full Version : Order MC factory audio or go aftermarket

JJN
02-29-2012, 01:34 PM
Replacing my 05 Prostar 197 (on the For Sale thread :) with a 2012 X14v. In terms of Audio, I ordered the basic radio/CD package, no tower speakers, due to cost. Concerned about the quality, perhaps lack of sound, clarity,etc, I have been considering not having MC install any audio and take the $$$ credit and have an aftermarket audio installed. So the question is, do you think I can take the credit $1500/or so and get more for my money with aftermarket? - Or should I just keep it and add to it later?
thoughts?

gts-20
02-29-2012, 02:02 PM
My first question to MC would be how will an aftermarket installed audio system affect the MC warranty. If it won't change anything, I would go with aftermarket.

JRW160
02-29-2012, 02:22 PM
What does the $1500 get you? Head unit, 1 amp and 4 interior speakers? If so, I think you could do a lot better with aftermarket stuff for $1500.

I don't see any way installing an aftermarket audio system could affect the warranty.

EarmarkMarine
02-29-2012, 03:01 PM
With the source unit, remote control and four JL Audio 7.7 speakers plus cabling you are not yet at $1500 in value until you consider the installation labor which puts you right at the mark. If you add in an amplifier and related cabling then you definitely have at least $1500 in value.
While I am certain that you would supplement the system I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be using all the factory equipment. As for the JL Audio 7.7" in-boat speakers, once these are powered to potential, there is no place to upgrade anyway.

David
Earmark Marine Audio

363COUPE
02-29-2012, 03:01 PM
You can do a nice sounding stereo for less than $1,500. I just re-did all of my stereo and here's a list with prices I paid. This is far from top of the line stuff but it sounds great.

Sony Xplod CDX-GT350MP $69.95
(4) POLK DB651 6.5's$118
(2) MB QUART ONX 4.60 4 Channel Amps $200
(4) Liquid Audio Tower Speakers with Polk MM651 In Polished Cans $359
(1) PIONEER TS-W254R 10" Sub $47.89
(1) Pioneer GM-3500T 2/1 Channel Amp $79.99

For a grand total of $874.83

In my opinion, it sounds just as good as any high end stereo.

Cloaked
02-29-2012, 06:38 PM
Replacing my 05 Prostar 197 (on the For Sale thread :) with a 2012 X14v. In terms of Audio, I ordered the basic radio/CD package, no tower speakers, due to cost. Concerned about the quality, perhaps lack of sound, clarity,etc, I have been considering not having MC install any audio and take the $$$ credit and have an aftermarket audio installed. So the question is, do you think I can take the credit $1500/or so and get more for my money with aftermarket? - Or should I just keep it and add to it later?
thoughts?Regardless, get the tower pre-wired before it leaves the factory. Save you some time when installing afterwards. I'd work a deal to have it dual wired in case you want to add another accessory. Can't cost much to run 14AWG wire twice.

Scott
02-29-2012, 07:15 PM
I thought all the new boats were prewired at the factory(tower too)???

MIskier
02-29-2012, 07:54 PM
I thought all the new boats were prewired at the factory(tower too)???

They are prewired for everything except for video.

Jerseydave
02-29-2012, 07:55 PM
My '05 X-star has all JL speakers so the only change to my system was the install of an Alpine amp which really improved the sound quality all around. Now the speakers have the proper amount of power to take full advantage of their capabilities. The sound is awesome, in particular the cockpit speakers and subwoofer. I am very happy with my JL speakers.

TallRedRider
03-01-2012, 11:13 AM
I would not hesitate to go with the factory JL interior speakers. They need a more powerful amp than what is usually given at the factory, but that is easy to fix.

I respectfully disagree with coupe's interior speaker setup, it will not sound as good as the JL 7.7 inch speakers on the interior and that sub is not on par with a properly powered JL 10 inch sub.

JJN
03-01-2012, 11:28 AM
I agree with the JL 7.7 speakers. If I decide not to order anything, I would purchase those anyhow. So really we are at the lack of amp and perhaps questionable source unit, Clarion - I just feel if I don't order anything, I may save a few bucks and be able to install a better head unit and amp? Will my money be better spent, dollar for dollar, by not opting for factory, speakers aside.

CantRepeat
03-01-2012, 11:42 AM
I agree with the JL 7.7 speakers. If I decide not to order anything, I would purchase those anyhow. So really we are at the lack of amp and perhaps questionable source unit, Clarion - I just feel if I don't order anything, I may save a few bucks and be able to install a better head unit and amp? Will my money be better spent, dollar for dollar, by not opting for factory, speakers aside.

Those 7.7s can be pricey depending on where you buy them. I think retail is north of $400. I put a third set in my X30.

Thrall
03-05-2012, 01:58 AM
IMO, the only sub-par features on the newer MC's are the underpowering of the speakers with factory installed amps and the actual installation of the amps/battery(s).
I'd get the speakers, even the Clarion head unit, but get your own amps and hook it up the right way.
Every MC I've seen (not that many, 5?) from 06-11 had a pretty shoddy wiring setup and underpowered amps.
You could do a little better on everything but the speakers (which you already know).

agarabaghi
03-06-2012, 08:30 AM
$1800 and this will blow most systems out of the water. Of course for my friend I did not need to include a headunit or interior speakers. But, drop the tower speakers for now and you have a ton of play room ...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AldW-xQMO2ZzdGpVcG9lNlBuSENhMjJ5QU55dUtNR0E#gid=0

D3skier
03-06-2012, 08:52 AM
good luck on the sale of the 197 good looking boat
for the new boat I'd suggest wetsounds speakers for the tower

link to 197 for sale
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=45813