PDA

View Full Version : Tower Speakers and deck

JMCDONALD505
02-29-2012, 01:50 PM
I need help deciding which brands are good quality. I am new to this so any advice would be great. My 06 X2 does not have any IPOD controls and I would like to update my deck and remote along with tower speakers and amp. Again any advice is welcome!

EarmarkMarine
02-29-2012, 03:14 PM
Clarion, as the OEM source unit, is good gear. But if you are going to start from scratch and want excellent ipod functionality then I favor Alpine source electronics. There are other attributes that make the Alpine a top source unit as well such as strong preamps. Overall its just a very clean source.
As for in-boat speakers, subwoofers and amplification we do alot with JL Audio. There is a lot of domestic engineering going into this product.
For tower speakers the new REV series from Wetsounds is presently the leader in my opinion. Its their second generation tower product and they have learned a ton from their long tenure in the marine audio business. These are certainly loud and definitely project to a rider but the sound quality of the Wetsounds new REVs are suitable for near field listening as well.
So I've kind of put the cart before the horse by offering up an opinion without a full understanding of what all your objectives will be.

David
Earmark Marine Audio

agarabaghi
03-01-2012, 10:53 AM
Do those alpine have 4v pre outs? When I went shoping for headunits, it seemed like all "marine units" has 2v pre outs. So with that being the case i opted for a cheaper sony w/ driver side remote. Ran the rcas for the aux to a headphone jack on the driver side as i prefer to use the actual iphone as control for my music since we use pandora / music / youtube etc... other people want to hook theirs up etc....

As for the pre outs, i found a $60 eq provide much more tuning ability than a more expensive headunit.