PDA

View Full Version : Open bow cover support

furevo
08-11-2005, 01:18 PM
Does anyone have ideas to support the cover over an open bow area?
You know the problem - the cover sags and collects water. We put a section of PVC pipe over the center pylon. It has a 90 degree elbow with another section that extends over the motor box. It gives plenty of slope for water to drain off and works great for that area. Any ideas for similar solutions for the bow area?

G-man
08-11-2005, 01:22 PM
You can have a cover shop put a snap in the center under the cover then you have an adjustable pole that snaps into it and raises up. There are also poles that dont require snaps and use the weight of the canvas to hold them.

jamisonsbrodie
08-11-2005, 01:23 PM
Use bungee cord from the windshield to the bow. You can buy whatever length you need and then put hooks on it, or find some that are the right length. You can also run it from the bow to the stern, depending on how your cover fits.

RickDV
08-11-2005, 01:29 PM
You can have a cover shop put a snap in the center under the cover then you have an adjustable pole that snaps into it and raises up. There are also poles that dont require snaps and use the weight of the canvas to hold them.

I do not have an open bow, but this is the method I use, placing the pole behind the doghouse. Problem is that on one heavy rain not all of the water drained off. Once it started puddling up it became a swimming pool and the pole pushed through the cover.

I like the idea of the PVC pipe. I tried that for a little bit and found that it was scuffing the gel coat.

I would love to hear more good ideas from others on this.

X2M
08-11-2005, 01:37 PM
We bungie the cover to the trailer at the bow. Making sure it is nice and tight. Haven't had any problems with it pooling that way. And in the back we pump up our one person tube, slip it under the cover and then bungie the cover to the trailer. Might sound funny, but it works for us. :)

jamisonsbrodie
08-11-2005, 02:51 PM
I like the idea of the PVC pipe. I tried that for a little bit and found that it was scuffing the gel coat.

I use the PVC also, but I have another 90 degree elbow on the main pipe just behind the doghouse connected to a T-shaped pvc base. Therefore it is self supporting. If your cover is really worn and stretched(like mine) you can also run bungees from grab rail to grab rail over the PVC.

captkidd
08-11-2005, 02:59 PM
A friend of mine had a PVC "skeleton" frame that he used to support his cover. It ran from the bow lifting ring to the rear tow ring, and used T-fittings along the way for the support ribs. At the end of each "rib" was a T that had been cut so that it fit snugly over the side grab rails. It worked great, and it was easy to break down and to assemble. If you were really creative, you could string the whole thing together with elastic zip cord so it was a real breeze to reassemble (like tent poles).

If you want something easy to put under the cover, the Fake-a-Lake works pretty well, and isn't likely to poke a hole in your cover.

AirJunky
08-11-2005, 03:04 PM
I yarded my pylon out several years ago so I had to find another way to make PVC supports to hold up the cover when it rains. The 205 has hand rails that go the length of both the bow area & behind the driver. I was able to take a length of 1.25" PVC pipe & cut it so it bows upwards. Then installed a PVC T fitting on each end & cut the top of the T out so it would slide onto the hand rails.
Three PVC supports, 2 in back & one up front & the cover is fully supported for rain or snow. The cover rests on long sections of the PVC 3' or 4' wide so it won't punch thru like the factory snap poles do.
Plus these are small enough they will store in your gunnels.
Total cost about $5.
If this isn't clear to you, I'll get a picture of the supports tonite & post them.

RobertT
08-11-2005, 03:48 PM
I have not done this, as I do not have the need (my support pole works great).

If I did have to make one, there are three things that are mandatory.

1. It needs to be adjustable, it has to be the perfect height to keep ALL rainwater off or the weight will kill it...but not so tight that it goes through the canvas.
2. It needs to stay in the middle of the canvas.
3. The support must be large enough to prevent a point load which will result in canvas damage (pole goes through the canvas).

The stock ones have a snap, which is ok, but that makes a small footprint and does not solve #3 above.

Here is what I would do.

I would go to the nearest Walmart or similar store, and buy an expandable mop or broom handle. you have seen them, the ones that lock and unlock with a twist. An even better solution (but more expensive) would be a short paint roller extension that is adjustable. I would personally use the latter.

The end of that will be threaded. I would then buy a small scrub brush for it, and on the top of that stick some Velcro. I would then stick the opposing side of the Velcro to the bottom of the canvas. Handle goes on the deck, brush with Velcro mates to the Velcro on the canvas, and then adjust the handle to get it tight.

You will have to cut the plastic handle extension to size, no big deal.

I suggest the brush because it is multi purpose, you can use it to help your wash down too.

however, if you have no need for a brush, use anything on the end of the handle to increase the surface area beyond the size of the handle end.

This is only a theory after reading your post and thinking about it for a few minutes...

Truth is that the stock system is pretty dang good, and replacement parts can be bought at West Marine.

AirJunky
08-11-2005, 04:08 PM
Truth is that the stock system is pretty dang good, and replacement parts can be bought at West Marine.
Hmmmm, I have some stock ones in the garage collecting dust. Seems like I only have 2 of them & 1 is missing the snap. If anyone wants them, cover the shipping & their yours.

RobertT
08-11-2005, 04:23 PM
Airjunky...I am only talking about the front bow cover one...your system for the back is brilliant...I like. I can picture exactly what you are saying...the pipe goes into the branch side of the tee, and you cut about half of the tee away from the main part (the part you could look through)...which snaps over the handle/bar on your boat....right?

Do you use that on the bow too???

I have not had any problems with the stock ones, but I am careful to keep them tight enough not to let any water pool.

BriEOD
08-11-2005, 05:02 PM
My friend uses 2" PVC in his. He got a 45 degree coupler from the lifting eye into about a 2 ft section than into a 90 degree couples and a 2.5 ft section and than into a "t" coupler and some 1 footers for feet. Works great, very durable, cheap and readily available.

RickDV
08-11-2005, 05:41 PM
I yarded my pylon out several years ago so I had to find another way to make PVC supports to hold up the cover when it rains. The 205 has hand rails that go the length of both the bow area & behind the driver. I was able to take a length of 1.25" PVC pipe & cut it so it bows upwards. Then installed a PVC T fitting on each end & cut the top of the T out so it would slide onto the hand rails.
Three PVC supports, 2 in back & one up front & the cover is fully supported for rain or snow. The cover rests on long sections of the PVC 3' or 4' wide so it won't punch thru like the factory snap poles do.
Plus these are small enough they will store in your gunnels.
Total cost about $5.
If this isn't clear to you, I'll get a picture of the supports tonite & post them.

A picture would be great if you have one.

AirJunky
08-11-2005, 06:03 PM
You got it, Robert. The two rear supports go straight across & the front one does a little curve due to the angle of the hand rails. But it hasn't been a problem.
Or rather I should say it hasn't been a problem as long as it's not 110 degrees out or sleeting ice. The PVC tends to get really flexible when it's hot & not quite strong enough to shed a ton of ice.
I'll work on a couple of pics of it. We're leaving town in the morning so it'll be tight. If anyone is going to be on Lake Tapps south of Seattle on Sat. watch out for the wedding party on Sky Skis........ I'll be driving.

Jim@BAWS
08-11-2005, 06:23 PM

Just like he says

AirJunky
08-11-2005, 11:41 PM
Here ya go..... a set of these typically last me about 2 years before something breaks.
I didn't think that was too bad considering the cost & the fact that my stock supports trashed the cover & lost their snap & the twist knob.

Kell
08-12-2005, 01:34 AM
AJ, nice setup for support. Dang, you're off to Tapps, I'll be at Liberty on Saturday.....bummer! I have a good friend that grew up on Tapps, do you know the Grams, specifically Ty Gram? Rowed crew for the UW 80-84! Have a safe journey.