PDA

View Full Version : Coast Guard helo down

rjracin240
02-29-2012, 08:38 AM
Please keep in your thoughts and prayers some of my friends who are stationed at US Coast Guard ATTC Mobile who have to deal with the loss of a shipmate and loss of a helo. 3 of the crewmembers are still missing at this time.
1 dead, 3 missing after CG helo crash in Ala.

The Associated Press
Posted : Wednesday Feb 29, 2012 5:18:51 EST

MOBILE, Ala. The Coast Guard says one crewmember is dead and three others remain missing following a helicopter crash in Alabama during a training mission.

Spokeswoman Petty Officer 2nd Class Elizabeth Bordelon says an MH-65C helicopter crashed Tuesday evening in Mobile Bay, near Point Clear, Ala. The Coast Guard initially said one person had been rescued but a news release issued early Wednesday said a crewmember was found unresponsive and later pronounced dead.

Bordelon says the MH-65C helicopter was on a mission out of the Aviation Training Center in Mobile, Ala. The three missing are Coast Guard members.

The cause of the crash remains under investigation.

The Coast Guard says two helicopters, an airplane and several vessels are involved in the search for the missing crewmembers

CantRepeat
02-29-2012, 08:55 AM
Sad news for such courageous men and women who are often overlooked. Hopefully the rest of the crew are found soon and safe.

thatsmrmastercraft
02-29-2012, 10:44 AM
My heart goes out to all affected by this terrible situation.

DooSPX
02-29-2012, 05:57 PM
Sorry to hear that :( My prayers go out to you, and the family of the missing crew men. Please keep us updated when you hear about the missing crew.

scott023
02-29-2012, 06:04 PM
Thoughts and prayer to all of those with ties to this situation. Hopefully the missing crew are found alive.

rjracin240
03-01-2012, 01:01 PM
Crewmember found was the rescue swimmer, rest of the crew is still missing. Helo is in about 13 feet of water with a muddy bottom that is hindering salvage and diving operations. Crew was fairly junior and were carrying out training at time of incidence. Tail/empenage seperated from the main cabin/cockpit, reports are that the cabin/cockpit are fairly intact. Plane is equipped with VADR ("black box") so when this is recovered there will be a pretty good explanation of what happened. Talked to a friend who is stationed out there yesterday, please keep all the men and women at ATTC (the training center this helo is out of) in your prayers and thoughts as they go through this stressful time.
http://www.military.com/news/article/coast-guard-continues-search-for-helo-crew.html?ESRC=topstories.RSS

rkhodges21
03-01-2012, 02:20 PM
God be with the family and friends of these brave men. My sincere appreciation and respect to those who paid the ultimate price in service of our country.

DemolitionMan
03-06-2012, 12:46 PM
Very sad, the Coast Guard does so much for our country.

rkhodges21
03-06-2012, 03:24 PM
Very sad, the Coast Guard does so much for our country.

And most people don't even realize it. They are kind of an afterthought for many.

psychobilly
03-06-2012, 07:51 PM
I know I do!!! ;-) I have had a USCG S-76 hover over us on our 80' shrimp boat miles and miles offshore to deliver a pump cuz we thought we were sinking!!!! They do so much for us!!! The USCG guys that do the recovery missions are a breed all their own.

billr
03-06-2012, 11:38 PM
There will be a memorial service held at the Coast Guard Aviation Center here in Mobile Thursday morning for the 4 men killed in the crash. One member has not been recovered as of now. Remember these brave men and their families.

rjracin240
03-07-2012, 01:32 PM
There will be a memorial service held at the Coast Guard Aviation Center here in Mobile Thursday morning for the 4 men killed in the crash. One member has not been recovered as of now. Remember these brave men and their families.

Folow up for memorial service;

COMDTNOTE 1732
> SUBJ: MEMORIAL SERVICE FOR CREW OF CGNR 6535
> 1. A MEMORIAL CEREMONY WILL BE HELD TO REMEMBER AND HONOR THE CREW OF
> CGNR 6535 ON THURSDAY, 8 MARCH AT 1000 CST IN HANGAR NUMBER TWO AT
> USCG AVIATION TRAINING CENTER, 8501 TANNER WILLIAMS ROAD, MOBILE, AL,
> 36608.
> 2. THE UNIFORM FOR ACTIVE DUTY ATTENDEES WILL BE TROPICAL BLUE LONG
> WITH COMBINATION COVER OR EQUIVALENT FOR MEMBERS OF OTHER UNIFORMED
> SERVICES. THE OFFICIAL PARTY WILL BE WEARING SERVICE DRESS BLUE.
> 3. FAMILY AND FRIENDS OF COAST GUARD MEMBERS ARE WELCOME TO ATTEND.
> GUESTS ARE REQUESTED TO ARRIVE NLT 0915 CST, AND BE SEATED NLT 0945
> CST DUE TO EXPECTED HEAVY TRAFFIC. CAR POOLING IS STRONGLY ENCOURAGED
> AS PARKING WILL BE LIMITED.
> 4. REQUEST WIDEST DISSEMINATION POSSIBLE.
> 5. RDML S. E. MEHLING, FORCECOM COMMANDER, SENDS.
> 6. INTERNET RELEASE AUTHORIZED.

Thanks everyone for your support for the Coast Guard and the grieving families.
Semper Peratus

thatsmrmastercraft
03-07-2012, 01:52 PM
I will certainly be stopping whatever I am doing at 10:00 am CST tomorrow for a personal moment of silence.