PDA

View Full Version : Raw water filter thoughts?

80starsmn
02-28-2012, 12:55 PM
New to us this year is a 96 PS 190 LT-1, previous boat was an 80 Stars and Stripes. Our 80 SS had a raw water inline filter installed before the tranny cooler but the 96 PS 190 does not have one. We run our boat in a Minnesota river (pretty clean) and a very clean Northern Wisconsin lake chain. Besides cleaning out some small bits of alge/weeds at the end of the season on the 80 SS we never had any filter issues. My thought is the inline filter for our use isn't needed but my gut says it can't hurt either. My question is how many of you out there are using a raw water inline filter?

ricford
02-28-2012, 05:54 PM
I have the same boat. The "filter" is an inline screen at the transmission cooler. Remove the intake hose from the cooler and then just dig out whatever weeds, etc that are trapped in the screen.

CruisinGA
02-28-2012, 06:19 PM
No filter here, very occasionally might find something at the inlet side of the tranny cooler.

I think most will tell you they don't have filters or think they need one..

sp00ky
02-28-2012, 08:20 PM
I am probably ordering one I had to replace my trans cooler recently and I can't help to think it would be better on the trans filter.

Also my manifolds and hoses have a fine coating of GA red clay which I think a filter would help and it's only about $ 60

Bouyhead
02-29-2012, 08:11 AM
Iv'e got the same boat but the TBI motor. I bought one from Discount Inboard Marine when I converted to a closed cooling system last season. Not a lot of room for the filter, would have to re plumb the whole intake for a clean, secure install. Wasn't going to be worth the hassle IMO so I sent it back. I run in salt water w/ lot's of seaweed and eel grass and no matter how frequent or infrequent I check the trans cooler there is always a small amount of debris.

--------

mikeg205
02-29-2012, 08:31 AM
I was going to do it... but maintaining a clean filter takes as much time as cleaning the regular system..imho. I always check mine especially when I run thru a debri grassy filled area. Also read of loss of water flow if filter not seal properly...I like the idea...but just another thing to check that could fail....$5 at home depot for PVC elbow and hose fitting lets me back flush raw water intake in about 5 minutes...

psychobilly
02-29-2012, 08:16 PM
I like mine cuz all I gotta do is look at the clear canister to see if there's any poo there, and don't have to take a stinking hose loose. One quick look when I'm check'n orl levels.

mikeg205
02-29-2012, 09:06 PM
poo? lol... never had that ...just grass and duck weed...lol... remind not to ski behind your boat... :D