PDA

View Full Version : Wake world build pictures thread

willyt
02-27-2012, 11:01 AM
There's a thread on Wakeworld on the build pictures between MC and another manufacturer. (it's buried in a thread about the X30). I normally hate that board, but I would go over there and check it out. If you own a Mastercraft you'll be glad you own a Mastercraft afterwards. I was amazed at the difference (a lot of stuff they didn't cover too).

mikeg205
02-27-2012, 11:23 AM
Interesting thread...great find. After spending decades in boats I am a firm believer of over built boats. Maybe people keep their brand-x ski boats much longer or they last forever but my searches on ebay and the web for vintage ski boats..usually yield many more MC's than anything else. Wooden Chriscraft's don't count.

I'd love to read what east tx would say about the thread...since he let the cat out of the bag about his gorgeous red boat... :D

ShawnB
02-27-2012, 11:40 AM
I never had a problem with Mastercraft's template for building boats but their attention to detail was sometimes not up to par from boat to boat. For example, there were a few issues with our X25 that "fell through the cracks" and had to be corrected by the dealer. In a perfect world, these issues would be caught before the boat ever left TN and the dealer wouldn't have to get involved.

For example, when our boat was built there was an anomaly in the swim platform's gelcoat which made the color look like it was tye-dyed rather than solid blue. The dealer recognized it when prepping the boat and a new platform was built and shipped to the dealer immediately. The problem is it should have never left the factory in this state.

Speaking with a factory-based rep at the boat show this year it sounds like they have totally revamped their QA process (and in some cases personnel) over the last year to insure things like this do not happen anymore. Simply said, he said they will no longer ship a boat to the dealer until five people have independently signed off on it. They also put in a program which makes the suppliers responsible for any issues that are caused by their product and are given extremely short windows to remediate the problems (most times 24 hours).

He also talked about the new off-shore testing that gets done with each boat where they are measuring the force inflicted on the hull when tackling rough water. Most boats will only ever encounter impact of 1-2 G's over their lifetime but MC is designing their boats to withstand impacts of 5+ G's.

I am looking forward to seeing the outcome of all of this as the 2012's start to find their way into customers hands...

vrsc
02-27-2012, 08:44 PM
There's a thread on Wakeworld on the build pictures between MC and another manufacturer. (it's buried in a thread about the X30). I normally hate that board, but I would go over there and check it out. If you own a Mastercraft you'll be glad you own a Mastercraft afterwards. I was amazed at the difference (a lot of stuff they didn't cover too).
Link please. Can't seem to find it

Duane D
02-27-2012, 08:52 PM
I read that entire thread. I am amazed at how ant-MC they are over there. I believe Nick911 can chime in and tell us more personally about how they attack MC owners that like our boats!

Jerseydave
02-27-2012, 08:53 PM
Here you go

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=791945

If all the guys on WW that drank the BU Koolaid would take a tour of the MC factory they just might change their opinions.

'BU was the "official boat of WW" before but now it's TIGE. I wonder how that came about? ;-)

vrsc
02-27-2012, 08:57 PM
Nevermind, I think this one is it.

vrsc
02-27-2012, 08:58 PM
Ha, thx anyway

Jeff Lyman
02-27-2012, 09:00 PM
Dave, I think you and I bounce from ballofspray to TT at the same time every night! haha

Jerseydave
02-27-2012, 09:56 PM
Dave, I think you and I bounce from ballofspray to TT at the same time every night! haha

Yea, it's a winter thing for sure! That and nothing on TV worth watching. Not even watching the 500 tonite. But if I get up your way someday I'll be bugging you for a pull. :D

02-28-2012, 03:58 AM
Hey guys this is my first post. I am the one who started that thread and am looking at both the Malibu's and Mastercrafts. I have to say I was surprised about all the negativity towards MC. I am really considering the X-30. It's just hard to know how good the wakeboard wake will be.

It's very interesting to se the brand loyalty. I may be an owner of one, well on order by the end of the week, we'll see what happens.

willyt
02-28-2012, 09:25 AM
Yeah... So I requested that the mods delete this thread because when I posted this it hadn't gotten that out of hand yet. I rarely ever post on Wakeworld, one has to be careful trying to reason with unreasonable people, or antagonizing them more and just making yourself look bad.

Everyone has to evaluate each manufacturer individually with an open mind, MC's not perfect, MB, BU, CC, SC aren't either, it's how many things and what your willing to compromise on. For me, I've made the choice and it's MC. Evaluating the other manufacturers honestly (with respect) only grows your brand loyalty.

FourFourty
02-28-2012, 10:03 AM
Hey guys this is my first post. I am the one who started that thread and am looking at both the Malibu's and Mastercrafts. I have to say I was surprised about all the negativity towards MC. I am really considering the X-30. It's just hard to know how good the wakeboard wake will be.

It's very interesting to se the brand loyalty. I may be an owner of one, well on order by the end of the week, we'll see what happens.

I read through your post on WW, and based off of your list of wants, You need to order an X25. IMO, You cant really beat the wakeboard wake of that boat. If you were a pro, it may be a different recommendation..... The surf wake on the X25 is also very good (with proper weighting). Slalom wake is poor....

I cant comment on the X30. It is not really proven for anything yet.....

Malibu builds a great boat. MasterCraft overbuilds a great boat. The Bu will do everything you want it to. It is, by no means, underbuilt. Malibu has a proven track record, there is no denying it.

I have toured both plants, twice. There is a lot more effort, overkill, and material incorporated into the construction of an MC. That being said, MC, IMO, needs to pay attention to final inspection a bit more. Malibu, seemed to have a better verification process for final product, but they seem to favor the easier/cheaper methods for constructing the boat. That being said, Malibu's methods seem to do there job exactly as designed, and saves the consumer some $$.

For me, I went with MC because I like that MC goes way overboard on a lot of things. I am also a BIG fan of billet aluminum :D. I love Malibu's also, and may own one someday. Its just that, to me, MC has something that is "just a bit more".

willyt
02-28-2012, 10:27 AM
Here you go

'BU was the "official boat of WW" before but now it's TIGE. I wonder how that came about? ;-)

I'm really really really surprised its not MB. Talk about koolaide... Haha.

Levi, good to see you over here. Its good your checkin out all possibilities. If you do demo a 30 report back here, we're all curious to as what it's like.

Duane D
02-28-2012, 10:49 AM
I wonder if Jim@BAWS or another Florida dealer has had a chance to get a new X30 out on the water for some test drives yet.

mrm2083
02-28-2012, 10:51 AM
I bought a MC because of the way it is built. I actually like the wake of the vlx better than my X2 but would never buy one for my use. To me what makes a MC so good is that it is built like an offshore center console. I use my boat in the bay so it needs to be able to handle rougher water than a lake plus take the abuse from the salt. To me the selling points of MC are:

- The fiberglass is thicker
- The stringer grid reminds me of my other boat, a Regulator, which is considered one of the best built center consoles
- The one piece floor. It seems like now the competitors are copying this but in 06 I think only MC and CC where doing this.
- All the wiring in my boat is tinned just like in the salt water boats. I don't know if I just got lucky because, at least back in 06, MC advertised that as an extra for the salt water series (which mine isn't) but I am 100% positive that all the wiring in my boat is tinned
- All metal is either stainless or brushed anodized aluminum. This is a big one, a lot of wake boarding boats use chrome plaited parts and in a few years those things look terrible.
- JL audio speakers. These are by far the best marine speakers available. They not only sound good but they outlast everything
- The vee is deeper and there is more freeboard (other boats seem to be doing this now too)
- The backing plates.

If you look at hydrasports, it seems like master craft is building them the same way which shows how good our boats are.

Ultimately I think master crafts are way over built for the majority of buyers. If you keep your boat in a garage and trailer it to a small lake then none of this stuff really matter. But all salt water boaters know that the electronics, etc mean nothing. All that maters is the hull and build quality and that's where MC destroys the competition

MattsCraft
02-28-2012, 12:05 PM

Typical WW post, I go over there and read it like the funnies in the paper. Almost never anything positive, and a lot of I/O wana-be inboard boat posters. Just my:twocents:

Alan-S
02-28-2012, 12:19 PM
Those guys are vicious. I have made unfavorable comments about Malibu a few times over the years, but never from the MC corner. This is the most backlash I have ever seen. Thanks for seeing the humor in this. There is definitely a lot of MC hatred/envy over there.

The X-30 is going to be an awesome boat and I can't wait to get our first one in the next month or so.

ttu
02-28-2012, 12:25 PM
Typical WW post, I go over there and read it like the funnies in the paper. Almost never anything positive, and a lot of I/O wana-be inboard boat posters. Just my:twocents:

great point and agree! i used to visit ww in the past but never go there anymore!

02-28-2012, 12:50 PM
A few things that lead me to the X-30 over the X-25 is it's a little bigger, it has even more storage, and it is also suppossed to drive and handle a little better. And last but not least, the price is less.

There is a lot of comedy over on WW but some decent points made too. I am coming from a Moomba XLV (23ft) which was honestly an excellent boat, NEVER an issue from 08 and almost 400 hours. The hull never "fell apart" or anything like that. I think the boats from all the Inboard companies are generally well made. Although the MC may be ovebuilt, that isn't why I am considering one. What attracted me to the MC was the interior. I don't think there is another brand with as well made of an interior. And on the X-30 the storage is huge and all the seats are on hinges (something I really like). The options do add up fast though. Does anyone have any video of the X25 wakes or pics?

Tri4X2
02-28-2012, 01:31 PM
501, I read all the "hate" on WW. I was looking for a boat this time last year. I ended up going with MC for my own reasons, but it wasn't until I got them out on the water that I really knew what I wanted. I narrowed my search to CC, MC, and BU. Then it was narrowed REALLY quick by my kids and my wife. Kids LOVED the bow of the MC, Wife HATED the BU and the interior of the boat. I was the CC guy but didn't feel comfortable in the seats where at the MC we bought fit the bill everywhere. Again, get them out on the water and at that point you will know what you want to buy. If it's the X-25 or the X-30 (which I was just in one and loved here in Austin) I think you will be happy with both.

bjames
02-28-2012, 01:33 PM

Hey Wecome to the board, I came from a Moomba LSV to an X25 and was blown away. I had 2 750lbs fat sacs in the rear of the moomba to creat a great surf wake. With the X25, I found that I had to 'dial' it in a little more, however with the plug&play ballast used the surf wave IMO is way better than the what i was getting with the moomba. Also the wake boarding wake i found to be a whole lot cleaner and larger than the Moomba - great for wake to wake jumps. Personally I loved the moomba, and will always hold a high respect for Skiers Choice boats, however i dont think I would ever go back now.

Also I have to say that everyone on this board has been very supportive and fun to talk with - its like a family here.

jbkriss
02-28-2012, 02:05 PM
I wonder if Jim@BAWS or another Florida dealer has had a chance to get a new X30 out on the water for some test drives yet.

It's happening as we speak. Mike at SFMC had the X30 demo at the Miami Boat Show last weekend. I have a friend who was shopping and he looked at the X25, X30, and X35. Mike said they are going to put the X30 through a series of rough-water tests down here this week before they send it back to TN and chop it up. It was a x series but had an Ilmor SS engine on it. Also, it had the ZFT4 on it with bimini. Much better than a ZFT2 IMO. As to it's wake, Zane told Mike that if you're going to spend most of you time wakeboarding, the X25 would be the better buy. Also, I think he said that the first X30s won't be rolling off assembly line until Jun/Jul.

02-28-2012, 02:49 PM
Interesting points jbkriss. I was told by my dealer (who got it from Zane) that the wakeboard wake was good and clean but its hard to verify, they wouldn't ever say it was bad, although I doubt it would be bad.

Also if I get an X30 it would look very similar in colors to Bjames's X-25, that boat looks amazing. Bjames, I see you are in Alberta, I hope you don't boat at Sylvan much lol.

Forrest-X45
02-28-2012, 03:34 PM
Ugh....I can't believe I took the time to read all that crap on WW. I guess you could look at it as entertainment and how people form their opinions.

501 - good luck with your decision. What a horrible position you are in. :D

FourFourty
02-28-2012, 03:46 PM
Interesting points jbkriss. I was told by my dealer (who got it from Zane) that the wakeboard wake was good and clean but its hard to verify, they wouldn't ever say it was bad, although I doubt it would be bad.

Also if I get an X30 it would look very similar in colors to Bjames's X-25, that boat looks amazing. Bjames, I see you are in Alberta, I hope you don't boat at Sylvan much lol.

501- Chances are, the X30 wakeboard wake is good and clean.... However, IMO, the X25s wakeboard wake is almost impossible to beat.

Shooter McKevin
02-28-2012, 06:13 PM

Hey Levi,

FYI, Scott 023 on this forum (probably more than he should be :D) has an X45 and is on Sylvan. Sorry I don't have any input on your dilemma except congratulations!!

bjames
02-28-2012, 06:37 PM

Actually I have relatives that live out there. I boat out of Wabamum Lake.

damaged442
02-28-2012, 09:58 PM
501, welcome to TT. Bottom line is, you gotta pick the boat that is best for you. My MC story is a little different than some of the others, because I bought an '89 Tristar, 8 years ago. Funny thing is, I would proudly take my 23 year old '89 over just about any new boat you would want to give me. If things go wrong with it, and not much has, to me it is worth fixing. It has original vinyl, but I would reupholster it before buying another. It's still a nice setup for what my family and I do on the water... and it still kicks ***, 23 years later. To me, that says something about build quality. Whether that means I drink the Kool-Aid, that may be, but I took a few others with me. After seeing mine, being shocked it was as old as it was, they didn't have hesitation with picking up a 92 Maristar 210 and a 94 Maristar 225 VRS.

Good luck with your choice!

03-07-2012, 03:10 AM
Well it looks like I'll be a regular on here. 2012 X-30 is ordered. I am so excited for the boat.

smsbrett
03-07-2012, 03:33 AM
Congrats. Those were my factory pics so you know how I feel (but agree you would've been happy with the LSV too). Make sure to post production and/or delivery pics.

Mastercraftdave
03-07-2012, 08:28 PM
501 congrats on the purchase. We just made the switch to mastercraft. I love wakeworld as I browse it just about everyday, but some of the people on there are make the site unenjoyable at times with their stupid remarks. Glad you made the right choice

Jerseydave
03-07-2012, 08:37 PM
Well it looks like I'll be a regular on here. 2012 X-30 is ordered. I am so excited for the boat.

Congrats! I would love to see build-a-boat pics showing your color choices.
My closest friend is the CC dealer, but I'm on my 4th MC......so that should tell you something!

BTW, get yourself off of "guest" status.

03-08-2012, 01:14 AM
It said that I had to verfiy that I am over 14 with the adminstrator so I sent him a message.

We are very excited to be one of the first owners of the new X-30. If it's ok with everyone, once the build starts I will put up a thread with pics and such, as well as pics of the wake and waves after I get the boat.

What is the best place to look at for different interior color schemes? The boat builder doesn't do it justice. I was checking out Texas MC for boat pics. Any place else that's good?

bjames
03-08-2012, 01:03 PM
It said that I had to verfiy that I am over 14 with the adminstrator so I sent him a message.

We are very excited to be one of the first owners of the new X-30. If it's ok with everyone, once the build starts I will put up a thread with pics and such, as well as pics of the wake and waves after I get the boat.

What is the best place to look at for different interior color schemes? The boat builder doesn't do it justice. I was checking out Texas MC for boat pics. Any place else that's good?

Google images :) ... Also talk to your dealer, they may be able to help. Before my wife and I settled on our color scheme, we drove over 200 miles to check out a similar combo in person. It was well worth the drive.

03-08-2012, 01:09 PM
Bjames, I am looking at a VERY similar color combo to yours and to the X25 you posted from martin, you have great taste. Did you order yours with the darker interior? That is what I am leaning towards.