PDA

View Full Version : suggestions on removing an impeller on a Maristar 200

Joel
08-11-2005, 12:00 PM
I have been trying to change my impeller on my '96 Maristar 200. The thing is tight on the shaft & wont pull out & there is little room to work. I put some machine oil in the center and i will head back later to if that loosens it. Any suggestions?

Maristar210
08-11-2005, 12:03 PM
I have been trying to change my impeller on my '96 Maristar 200. The thing is tight on the shaft & wont pull out & there is little room to work. I put some machine oil in the center and i will head back later to if that loosens it. Any suggestions?

I have never done this perticular repair but I use "PB Blaster" to loosen old nuts on the dirt bikes I work on. Others should be able to offer a more specific solution, perhaps.

Steve

Footin
08-11-2005, 12:04 PM
Put some dishwashing soap all over it, then pull the saftey cord on the dash so it will not start and bump the key to turn the engine over a few times. This should help loosen it.
Then you should be able to get it out with a couple of screwdrivers or needlenose pliers.

Footin
08-11-2005, 12:05 PM
I have never done this perticular repair but I use "PB Blaster" to loosen old nuts on the dirt bikes I work on. Others should be able to offer a more specific solution, perhaps.

Steve

I never thought if PB Blaster, that stuff works great on rusty/coroded nut and bolts.

Davo
08-11-2005, 12:22 PM
Ditto what Footin said, except doesn't puting the new one in call for using white lithium grease anyway? That's what I use to get it out. I also use some vice-grip needle nose pliers. "Bump" the ignition to circulate the grease and it will slide right out.

G-man
08-11-2005, 01:24 PM
Its harder to do on a Maristar but you use two paint can opener tools to reach behind the impeller and pull forward with the notchs of the openers.

motorsport17
08-11-2005, 02:20 PM
Mastercraft uses a tapered shaft for all of their props. The best and safest way to get it off would be to buy a prop puller, any mastercraft dealer should have one.

bigmac
08-11-2005, 02:39 PM
Mastercraft uses a tapered shaft for all of their props. The best and safest way to get it off would be to buy a prop puller, any mastercraft dealer should have one.

I think he meant raw water pump impeller....

Joel
08-11-2005, 03:33 PM
impeller, not propeller :banana:

BrianM
08-11-2005, 03:53 PM
Ditto what Footin said, except doesn't puting the new one in call for using white lithium grease anyway? That's what I use to get it out. I also use some vice-grip needle nose pliers. "Bump" the ignition to circulate the grease and it will slide right out.

No grease on the impeller. Any kind of grease can break down the impeller reducing its life.

I just had to pull my impeller out last night to get to the rear seal in my pump. I just sprayed it with binding lube bumped the starter a couple of times and used the two screw driver method to pull it out (havent tried the paint can openers but I bet those work even better). Putting it back in just spray with binding lube and it slides right in. No need to worry about which way the vanes are facing. As soon as you start it up they will all go the right way.

PendO
08-11-2005, 04:21 PM

sorry to threadjack ... I didn't think that the splined shafts were tapered? We have used the 2 screwdriver/needle nose pliers routine, but I bet the paint can levers would work good.

juju151
08-11-2005, 07:47 PM
Joel,

I had some trouble getting mine out too...I was trying to grab it near the center and that doesn't work. I tried turning the engine over, and it even cranked up just for a second, but that didn't help.

Just get some needle nose and get a good hold with them on one of the fins of the impellor and PULL!!! Don't yank it...pull firm and steady straight out and it will start moving.

Joel
08-11-2005, 11:43 PM
had to pound through the rubber with a screw driver to break it loose.
then the paint cant lid openers did the trick. washed all the wd 40 out with soap. then lubed it with glycerin. I'm da man.
joel

thanks for the suggestions

canada air
08-14-2005, 12:55 AM
i just unbolted the whole pump removed it and changed impeller on the work bench. a little easier than wrestling with it in those v-drives.

Jim@BAWS
08-14-2005, 10:05 AM
I don't think that a PROP PULLER will fit....Use 2 flat edge screw drivers
if you do not have a impeller puller. Use it to wedge them out.
Be patient it will come out slowly but surely. Use some type of
grease preferably white lithium for he shaft for the next impeller

Jim@BAWS