PDA

View Full Version : x14V

sheckski
02-27-2012, 08:41 AM
What is the experience with producing a wake board wake with optimal ballast management? How big a compromise is it ?

mramerman@gmail.com
02-27-2012, 11:05 AM
Not sure I completely understand the question. Are you asking the quality of wakeboard wake produced by an x14v? Not sure what the basis of comparison might be.

Photo attached is with full ballast. Two people in the boat.

BlueRidge
02-27-2012, 11:14 AM
That's a great picture!

The wake is just about what I recall on my X14v with the factory ballast loaded up.

mramerman@gmail.com
02-27-2012, 12:08 PM
I don’t wakeboard. This is my brother-in-law who rode pro at one point. I ski / surf.

02ProstarSammyD
02-27-2012, 12:32 PM
^your weight distribution might need a tad bit of tweaking there

mramerman@gmail.com
02-27-2012, 12:39 PM
^your weight distribution might need a tad bit of tweaking there

Thanks. Yes.

Happens generally with a hard pull by the rider. It shifts pretty frequently.

JJN
02-27-2012, 12:49 PM
MRAMERMAN - Are you pretty pleased with your X14v? I am looking at a 2012 but I am still a little gun shy with "change". I have a 05 prostart 197 now, which I love, but the kids are getting bigger and complaining, (more then usual :) about the lack of room. - I get it, but still.
We do not specialize in any activity, just all around ski/tube/board fun.

thoughts?

mramerman@gmail.com
02-27-2012, 01:09 PM
Big decision!

I moved from a ’97 190. I am a passionate skier and enjoy surfing; however as someone else aptly commented, the 190 was a rough ride “after noon.” We needed something larger for cruising and other sports etc.

I am happy with the x14v for skiing. It has been a big of a change, there is a definitive ‘bump’ at 15 off / 34 mph; however, that goes away shortening to 28-off.

I have skied Correct Craft cross-overs and the x-14v ride is much better.

For the “after-noon” it is a big improvement for cruising etc. This is mostly due to the engine in the back of the boat.

Happy to answer any specific questions.

93Prostar190
02-27-2012, 01:09 PM
I find a regular X14/214 to be a great family boat ... that is what have since 2008 ..... the V version is intruguing to me since I have developed more of an interest in surfing .... but 60-70% the slalom ski is what we do .... my kids (13 and) are able to bring other friends and we are very happy .... once my slalom days are over you may find me in an X2 or equivalent ...

BrooksfamX2
02-27-2012, 01:24 PM
Not sure I completely understand the question. Are you asking the quality of wakeboard wake produced by an x14v? Not sure what the basis of comparison might be.

Photo attached is with full ballast. Two people in the boat.

Where is that??

mramerman@gmail.com
02-27-2012, 02:35 PM
Where is that??

Lake Entiat, Columbia River, North of Wenatchee in Eastern Washington (State).

FoggyNogginz
05-31-2012, 12:00 AM
any pics of the slalom wake behind the X14V? Thanks much.

mramerman@gmail.com
05-31-2012, 01:51 PM
Sorry, photos taken portrait on iPhone get turned landscape by this system. Not the best photo, but you can get a sense. I will take more next time I am on the water.

FoggyNogginz
09-09-2012, 11:24 PM
That's actually really sweet. Much better than I expected. Tha ks for the pic!

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

rtw_travel
01-30-2013, 12:40 PM
Thanks. Yes.

Happens generally with a hard pull by the rider. It shifts pretty frequently.

Sorry to dredge this one up and I realize the thread a year old... but do you remember the speed & line length in the wakeboarding pics? I'm just learning to drive for wakeboarders, and I've been reading about the 'sweet spot' for boarding, where the line length is just a bit in front of the wake curl. It would be good to know a starting point for my x14V when I get back in the water this summer.

And a question for the boarders...
Its hard to tell because the wake is not symmetrical, but it seems the curl is way behind the rider in these pics? or would the curl move closer to the boat if the wake was made symmetrical again?

Thanks

02ProstarSammyD
01-30-2013, 12:59 PM
Sorry to dredge this one up and I realize the thread a year old... but do you remember the speed & line length in the wakeboarding pics? I'm just learning to drive for wakeboarders, and I've been reading about the 'sweet spot' for boarding, where the line length is just a bit in front of the wake curl. It would be good to know a starting point for my x14V when I get back in the water this summer.

Depends on weight etc. Different people ride at diff speeds and lengths. I have a few people in my boat that ride at 19.5 and some that ride at 23. All about what the rider is comfortable with along with skill level. Same can be said for rope length. Typically beginners ride a lil shorter when starting jumps etc b/c your crossing is narrower. If someone doesn't know what speed to go I start them at about 19 and let them tell me faster or slower. You can adjust the speed on your perfect pass during a run. Way too many factors depending on your setup.

Also consider how you want the wake shaped. More front weight is going to make the wake rampier and more weight in the back makes it steeper.

Also not sure if/which version of PP you have but on alot you can set up different riders and save the settings so they don't have to remember.

mramerman@gmail.com
01-30-2013, 04:06 PM

And a question for the boarders...
Its hard to tell because the wake is not symmetrical, but it seems the curl is way behind the rider in these pics? or would the curl move closer to the boat if the wake was made symmetrical again?

Thanks

The rider in the photo is at 55' and 20 mph ish. The curl is generally gone when the boat / ballast is dialed in a bit better. Those photos are from my first season with the boat !

swivelina
04-28-2013, 11:48 PM
Is your wake pretty much always washed out on the driver's side or have you figured out how to control it?

02ProstarSammyD
04-29-2013, 05:52 AM
^my guess is he needs more weight and its washing out on each side opposite of the rider. My x9 does the same with no ballast if the boat is low on people.