PDA

View Full Version : '01-'02 Xstar-garage height

Larry M
02-26-2012, 06:45 PM
I am looking for a 2001 or 2002 Xstar. I know it will be close with my garage height. I've got 82-1/4" to work with. Does anyone know the minimum height needed with the factory tower collapsed?

bcd
02-26-2012, 09:27 PM
I had an 02 X Star and 83.5" garage height. With the jack cranked all the way down, it cleared with a little clearance. I think you're going to be very close, or hitting with 82 1/4". You could get creative with a shorter jack, or drop the tongue down onto a roller jack of something lower with wheels to get you through the door.

JRW160
02-27-2012, 10:32 AM
I have a 2003 X-2 which should be the same boat and same tower as the 2001 or 2002 xstar. My garage door is 82.5" tall and the boat fits in the garage. I back the boat halfway in, then take the trailer off the truck hitch and lower the jack all the way down and push it the rest of the way in. It clears by about .5"

The break in the middle of the rear tower legs is the highest point when the tower is folded.

ksdaoski
02-27-2012, 10:44 AM
Any idea how tall the tower is, when its up, from the top of the pylon, to the ground, when on the trailer?
I understand there are some variables, with tire/wheel size, spring sagging, etc.

Thanks

Larry M
02-27-2012, 10:50 AM
Thanks guys. I can take off some wheather stripping and get 82.5" clearance. My driveway slopes down slightly from the garage floor. I think this will help gain another inch or so but will hurt my chances for taking the trailer off the hitch and pushing it in. I am going to be doing this myself most of the time.

I was wondering if there is a difference between a single axle and dual axle trailers. I read somewhere that the dual axle trailer might sit a little lower. I really want the dual axle trailer anyway. I tow with a mid size SUV and want the stability of the dual axle.

bcd
02-27-2012, 11:15 AM
My driveway slopes also. The trick is what JRW160 said, back the boat half way with the truck first, which gets the trailer tires over the hump and then in the garage. Then unhook from the truck, lower the jack and push it in.

I didn't clarify in my post earlier, but I had the single axle trailer with 15" rims.

JRW160
02-27-2012, 11:22 AM
I also have a single axle with 15" rims. The tandems usually have 14" rims, so they will give you a little more clearance.

Larry M
02-27-2012, 11:54 AM
It's gonna be so close. I just re-measured and if I take the weather stripping off, I can get 82.75".

I like the idea of taking the trailer off the hitch and lowering it but I am concerned that it will roll and many times I come home late, kids and wife are sleeping and I will have no help pushing it in the driveway. I go a lot during the summer and ease of getting it back in my garage is huge.

I am glad I starting thinking about this now. I am going to have to test it before I purchase.

bcd
02-27-2012, 12:09 PM
As long as you get the trailer tires into the garage while you're still pushing with the truck, you should be ok to push it around by yourself since your garage floor should be relatively flat. I could easily push mine in by myself, and most times I did it by myself. My driveway wasn't real steep, and I couldn't push my boat up the driveway, but once the tires were into the garage, it was pretty easy. If you're worried about it rolling away from you, place some 4x4 blocks as safety stops.

Another option is an adjustable hitch. You could then leave it attached to the truck and lower the hitch down. This post has some pictures of what I did to my new boat to get it in the garage.
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=45830&page=4
It's got the new tower that folds rearward, so the concept will be reversed for you, but it should still work.

Larry M
02-27-2012, 12:21 PM
Thanks BCD. Does the 2002 factory tower collapse forward or backward? Sounds like forward per your post. If that's the case, lowering the jack might work because my boat would be further back in my garage.

Thanks for the adjustable hitch idea too.

JRW160
02-27-2012, 12:26 PM
2002 tower folds forwards. You are probably going to need more than 82.75" to back it in with the truck, even with an adjustable hitch. Mine barely clears with the jack all the way down.

Larry M
02-27-2012, 12:58 PM
Man... how frustrating. Thanks for all the help. I might be back to my original plan of buying a Sanger V210. I know that will fit no problem. I was really fired up on the X Star because I heard the ski wake is as good as you're going to get in a V-Drive in my price range. My main goal is an acceptable ski wake cause I still love to ski.

I really like the X14V but that's way out of my price range.

bcd
02-27-2012, 01:59 PM
I found a picture of mine in the garage with the tower folded. It will help you understand how it folds down. To fold it by yourself, take the back loose, rotate it up to it's balance point, hold one side as you walk to the front of the boat, then swing it all the way down and prop it up. Looking at the picture, I remember that the front posts (in the picture, which are the rear when tower is up) were the highest point. If I let the tower go lower, I would have had more clearance.

I'm pretty sure if you had a custom hitch made (~$200), you could leave it hooked up to the truck and lower the hitch (designed to a point lower than the trailer jack), and back it in with the truck. One issue to watch for with the custom hitch would be how far up it would stick when you were in towing position and would it be sticking too far up for the tailgate to go down.

Is the boat far away? Can you bring it home and test it out before finalizing the deal? That would give you an idea of what it's going to take to get it in and out everytime.

JRW160
02-27-2012, 07:17 PM
Any idea how tall the tower is, when its up, from the top of the pylon, to the ground, when on the trailer?
I understand there are some variables, with tire/wheel size, spring sagging, etc.

Thanks

It's between 10.5 and 11 feet

Larry M
02-27-2012, 07:28 PM
I found a picture of mine in the garage with the tower folded. It will help you understand how it folds down. To fold it by yourself, take the back loose, rotate it up to it's balance point, hold one side as you walk to the front of the boat, then swing it all the way down and prop it up. Looking at the picture, I remember that the front posts (in the picture, which are the rear when tower is up) were the highest point. If I let the tower go lower, I would have had more clearance.

I'm pretty sure if you had a custom hitch made (~$200), you could leave it hooked up to the truck and lower the hitch (designed to a point lower than the trailer jack), and back it in with the truck. One issue to watch for with the custom hitch would be how far up it would stick when you were in towing position and would it be sticking too far up for the tailgate to go down.

Is the boat far away? Can you bring it home and test it out before finalizing the deal? That would give you an idea of what it's going to take to get it in and out everytime.

How could you let the tower go lower? Did you prop it up so it wouldn't sit on the open bow seats? Do you remember how much lower it would have gone if this is what you did?

The boat I am considering is about 2 hours away. Not sure if the deal is going to go through. Owner is asking too much. I'm not going to purchase any boat I can't first test on my garage. I have to be able to store it easily. If I only went a few times a year it would be one thing, but I typically go twice a week during the summer months so it can't be a big pain.

Thanks for the photo. That gives me a great idea of what I'm looking at.

BrooksfamX2
02-27-2012, 08:23 PM
Back the boat up to the garage door, put a rolling floor jack under the trailer tongue and jack it up off the ball. Move the tow vehicle ahead. Lower the jack to the lowest position, acting like a tongue wheel, The trailer tongue will now be only about 4" off the floor lowering the bow of the boat quite a bit. Then push the boat into the garage by hand. Although I dont need to do this for mine, I do back mine just into the garage about 2 feet and then push it in the rest of the way.
It pushes pretty easily.

brucemac
02-27-2012, 08:39 PM
i'll go measure mine and post back, but i'm pretty sure you'd be fine if it's a dual axle MC trailer with stock rims. i think i have just shy of 83in of clearance with molding on a 7ft door and with a sloping driveway (sloping down from the garage slab to the street). in the picture above, the tower is resting on the grab rails inside the bow. worst case you'd just need an adjustable hitch. if it's the right boat for you, i wouldn't let it go quite so fast without some more research. it's 5 minutes of work in and 5 minutes out for me. piece of cake. good luck.

Larry M
02-28-2012, 04:05 PM
[QUOTE=brucemac;818861]i'll go measure mine and post back, but i'm pretty sure you'd be fine if it's a dual axle MC trailer with stock rims. i think i have just shy of 83in of clearance with molding on a 7ft door and with a sloping driveway (sloping down from the garage slab to the street). in the picture above, the tower is resting on the grab rails inside the bow. worst case you'd just need an adjustable hitch. if it's the right boat for you, i wouldn't let it go quite so fast without some more research. it's 5 minutes of work in and 5 minutes out for me. piece of cake. good luck.[/QUOTE

Are you able to get your boat into your garage without using an adjustable hitch or taking the hitch off and lowering it? Thanks brucemac.

bcd
02-28-2012, 04:28 PM
In my picture, there is a prop rod holding the tower up. It could rotate maybe an inch more down before it would contact the boat.

brucemac
02-28-2012, 10:11 PM
Are you able to get your boat into your garage without using an adjustable hitch or taking the hitch off and lowering it? Thanks brucemac.

yes i am able to back her right up and in with no horsing around, although i'll admit that my current hitch is somewhere around an inch or so from the ideal height for the tounge (a 1.5in drop?). also the fact that the tower folds forward and my driveway slopes down away from the slab also aids in my situation somewhat i believe. i'm happy to answer any other questions about the boat if it's still on your short list. just shoot me a pm. we bought ours used out of portland with 63 hours on her back in 06 or 07, can't recall. she's been a terrific boat and we have had no regrets and nothing but great times with her. while i admire many of the newer boats in MC's lineup, i'd have a tough time getting rid of this one. best of luck.

nmcjr
02-29-2012, 08:47 PM
You'll be fine with a dual axle. My garage door is 82.25" and I don't even have to put the jack all the way to the fully down position to get it in--I can probably be almost 1" from the bottom of the travel. I also have a slope downward on my driveway and do as others do and push it in by myself by hand-piece of cake.

Not sure how much time you have spent on that V210 but I'm not a fan. The biggest reason is the angled sundeck makes it almost unusable for hanging out or laying out on, and also makes it hard to place boards on or even walk across to some extent. Might seem minor but sundecks get a lot of use and that boat would not be on my list for that reason alone--just my opinion though and I don't know how its ski wake compares.

Larry M
03-03-2012, 02:08 PM
You'll be fine with a dual axle. My garage door is 82.25" and I don't even have to put the jack all the way to the fully down position to get it in--I can probably be almost 1" from the bottom of the travel. I also have a slope downward on my driveway and do as others do and push it in by myself by hand-piece of cake.

Not sure how much time you have spent on that V210 but I'm not a fan. The biggest reason is the angled sundeck makes it almost unusable for hanging out or laying out on, and also makes it hard to place boards on or even walk across to some extent. Might seem minor but sundecks get a lot of use and that boat would not be on my list for that reason alone--just my opinion though and I don't know how its ski wake compares.

Yeah, I've decided against the V210. Just too small and cramped for a day on the lake with two families. I've decided to look at Sanger V215s along with the X-Star. The V215 has a flat sun pad and 96" beam. I know I can't go wrong with either and I'm gonna go for the best deal I can find.

Both towers will be close getting in my garage but I've decided to deal with it. I don't think I need to raise my header but may need to remove some trim. I really want to be able to just back in without all the hassle.

Thanks for everyones help. This forum is SO much better than Wakeworld. You actually get good advice here without all the drama.

brucemac
03-03-2012, 04:48 PM
best of luck on your search. let us know what you end up with. by the way, where's your home lake? I see you're west coast.

Larry M
03-04-2012, 07:30 PM
best of luck on your search. let us know what you end up with. by the way, where's your home lake? I see you're west coast.

Home lake is Folsom.