PDA

View Full Version : X2 does not fit in garage?????????

Latin Flyer
02-25-2012, 06:38 PM
Helpppppp!!!!
I put an offer on a new x2 contingent on fitting in the garage, i have 81 clearance. We brought the boat home and we are at least 3 inches short!!!!!!
The dealer is changing the tires from a 15/70 to a 15/50 and also talking to mastercraft about lowering the tower a bit more, finding a way to cut the stopper. ( the problem is that the tower does not go down enough)

I m listening now, i NEED the boat to fit.
forget about changing the garage, cannot do it.

Suggestions?????????

holdenh2o
02-25-2012, 06:44 PM
Boat Storage?

mikeg205
02-25-2012, 06:46 PM
Wheel skates... it will be a PIA but take travel tires off.... but on blanks rims drop down on to tire skates.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=202973707&storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_sku=202973707&ci_kw=%7bkeyword%7d&cm_mmc=shopping-_-googleads-_-pla-_-202973707&ci_gpa=pla

Get 2 hydraulic jacks to make it faster.... tandem trailer or single?

JRW160
02-25-2012, 07:03 PM
while most x2s come with single axle trailers, I think tandems typically sit a couple of inches lower. I have to take my trailer off the truck hitch, lower the jack all of the way down, then push the boat the rest of the way in. It gives me the extra 2"-3" to allow the front tower legs to clear the garage door.

Latin Flyer
02-25-2012, 07:09 PM
Thanks to all.
Storage is out of the question, wheel skates?????? I need to be in and out in five minutes. It,s a single axle.

willyt
02-25-2012, 07:24 PM
deflate the trailer tires. keep a high power air compressor in the garage to refill when out.

MIskier
02-25-2012, 08:02 PM
Helpppppp!!!!
I put an offer on a new x2 contingent on fitting in the garage, i have 81 clearance. We brought the boat home and we are at least 3 inches short!!!!!!
The dealer is changing the tires from a 15/70 to a 15/50 and also talking to mastercraft about lowering the tower a bit more, finding a way to cut the stopper. ( the problem is that the tower does not go down enough)

I m listening now, i NEED the boat to fit.
forget about changing the garage, cannot do it.

Suggestions?????????

Its is only a days worth of work to raise a garage door header...much easier than all the D*cking around you're talking about doing.

mikeg205
02-25-2012, 08:08 PM
Thanks to all.
Storage is out of the question, wheel skates?????? I need to be in and out in five minutes. It,s a single axle.

Why 5 minutes?

and I like the deflate tires idea too...

Latin Flyer
02-25-2012, 08:15 PM
I meant fast in and out. I live 8 minutes from the lake, i dont want to feel that taking the boat out will be a job.
I REALLY appreciate the input here, thanks a lot.

venetrex
02-25-2012, 08:17 PM
What tower do you have??? There are a few tricks on my 2007 to fit One of which is to raise the jack wheel on a homemade ramp that gets my tower legs to clear. Also letting the air out of the tires works. I winch mine in though.

Chief
02-25-2012, 08:17 PM
I connect a strap to the ski pole to the port wakeboard rack and disconnect the legs and place a towel on the port side where the gas cap is and remove the seat behind the drivers seat I then slide the tower to the right and put the port leg on the outside of the boat and the starboard leg in the inside of the comparment behind the driver seat.

It's a pain but I've been doing it for 5 years but it goes in the garage everytime.

Latin Flyer
02-25-2012, 08:25 PM
I have the tower that comes with the boat, cannot take it out, it has a stopper, mastercraft is reviewing to see if we can take taht stopper out.

Millertime
02-25-2012, 08:38 PM
If you angle the boardracks, say on a 45 to the tower you can gain a little. As well without the light bar and speakers you gain a little more.

saberworks
02-26-2012, 01:03 AM
2nd just increasing the height of your door opening.

thatsmrmastercraft
02-26-2012, 08:51 AM
I would take the whole end of the garage off it that is all that stood between me and owning a Mastercraft.:rolleyes:

mikeg205
02-26-2012, 09:05 AM
Get a good cover...keep it outside....you're in Florida...you'll be using it more than us northerners... :D:D:D Can you put a car port in your driveway to keep the sun off of it?

Jim@BAWS
02-26-2012, 09:47 AM
2 things are pretty obvioue here..

I read you opening is 81 inches A 7 foot door should have close to 84 inches

What year boat do you have and which tower. Is the tower a ZFT2 or 4

All the specifications are pretty well known prior to purchase and delivery! The older 4 point ZFT tower can be lowered pretty far

Going to tandem will only lower an inch. From a 15 in rim to a 14 rim.

BrooksfamX2
02-26-2012, 09:49 AM
Glad I have an 8' garage door....mine fits in nicely and dont need to remove the platform either....

I know this is of no help to the OP thought.........:o

SkiDog
02-26-2012, 09:57 AM

All the specifications are pretty well known prior to purchase and delivery! The older 4 point ZFT tower can be lowered pretty far

Sounds like Stevie Wonder was using the tape measure when cutting the jacks for the header to sit on! Even so, the header can be cut that 3-4 inches. Pictures of this opening would REALLY help us to help YOU!

Jeff d
02-26-2012, 09:59 AM
If lowering the tongue gets you the needed 3" at the highest point then try an adjustable drop hitch. Back it in partially, take the load off of the hitch with the jack, then move the hitch to the lowest position then back it in the rest of the way.
http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Ball_Mounts-sf-Adjustable_Ball_Mount.aspx

Latin Flyer
02-26-2012, 10:37 AM
Jim thanks for the input. It,s a 2012 with wathever tower they come with. The dealer is changing the tires to a 15/50.

To all, thanks alot fornthe input, and the fun!!!! Modifing the uper side of the garage
Is nor an option but how about going down????? I ,m thinking about shaving 5 inches from the ground just on small area. Thougts????

tex
02-26-2012, 10:43 AM
New house???? Just a thought!:D

SkiDog
02-26-2012, 10:56 AM
Jim thanks for the input. It,s a 2012 with wathever tower they come with. The dealer is changing the tires to a 15/50.

To all, thanks alot fornthe input, and the fun!!!! Modifing the uper side of the garage
Is nor an option but how about going down????? I ,m thinking about shaving 5 inches from the ground just on small area. Thougts????

take some pics and show them to us! we'll help you out!

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
02-26-2012, 11:21 AM

Going to tandem will only lower an inch. From a 15 in rim to a 14 rim.

I'm in the same boat so to speak, this is why I didn't buy that 08 x2 from you awhile back my garage door is 80", I guess some older homes are like this, and my header can't be raised.

1redTA
02-26-2012, 11:27 AM
sorry you are having trouble with your new boat

Jerseydave
02-26-2012, 11:29 AM
If lowering the tongue gets you the needed 3" at the highest point then try an adjustable drop hitch. Back it in partially, take the load off of the hitch with the jack, then move the hitch to the lowest position then back it in the rest of the way.
http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Ball_Mounts-sf-Adjustable_Ball_Mount.aspx

^ this sounds like a good solution, maybe along with lower tire pressures.

Are you saying the dealer is switching your tires to a 50 series low profile? Not sure if that's a good idea on a single axle trailer. Will they handle the load?

BrooksfamX2
02-26-2012, 11:59 AM
Ya, 2 tire trenches in the garage floor should do it............

MIskier
02-26-2012, 01:36 PM

Why can you not modify the garage door header? It is literally a few hours worth of work, what you are talking about doing is many times more laborious and expensive!

zamboniman
02-26-2012, 02:50 PM
Its is only a days worth of work to raise a garage door header...much easier than all the D*cking around you're talking about doing.

best advice

Latin Flyer
02-26-2012, 03:55 PM
Thanks all. There are no pictures to take, it,s a garage door with 81 clearance. The deal is not done unless the boat fits, so i,m not worry, but i will be depress if it does not happen!!!!!

I cannot raise the garage, don,t know how to. Do it, where to start, dont want to deal with the city permits, etc etc etc.

I will have news tomorrow PM after MC figures out about the tower. That is where the issue is really, it does not fold below windshield level.

I,ll keep you posted.

MIskier
02-26-2012, 04:14 PM
Thanks all. There are no pictures to take, it,s a garage door with 81 clearance. The deal is not done unless the boat fits, so i,m not worry, but i will be depress if it does not happen!!!!!

I cannot raise the garage, don,t know how to. Do it, where to start, dont want to deal with the city permits, etc etc etc.

I will have news tomorrow PM after MC figures out about the tower. That is where the issue is really, it does not fold below windshield level.

I,ll keep you posted.

Im not talking about lifting the entire building. Im talking about cutting out the top of the door opening and raising it. It is not something that requires a building permit at all. Even if you hire someone to do it for you it will end up saving money in the long run compared to buying new wheels and tires for the trailer, and having the dealer do stuff to the tower to drop it more.

SkiDog
02-26-2012, 04:20 PM

I,ll keep you posted.

Don't be such a pessimist! ANYTHING is possible if you put your mind to it!:(

jakethebt
02-26-2012, 05:32 PM
I thought that many of the X2 guys were having this issue with this at one time and were opening the rear hatch, all 3 sections and that allowed the rear part of tower to go down farther.

Also, are you hitting the header or garage door? Some times the garage door are not set to open far enough and you can usually adjust the stops to gain an inch or so.

DeeeJay02
02-26-2012, 05:50 PM
Call a contractor out and have them give you a quote to acquire the height you need. Than take the quote to the dealer and tell them if they want to make a Deal than they need to take the cost of the garage modifacation out of the cost of the boat...... That way there are not any "Mickey Mouse" changes made to the boat.....

Latin Flyer
02-26-2012, 06:19 PM
Jake, it,s the new tower, one piece only.

Deejay, i will call a gc tomorrow, see how difficult it is.

Does anybody know how easy it s to sand down the floor?

Double D
02-26-2012, 06:50 PM
I need to ask. With all this discussion about your door height so you can fit the boat in the garage, will it fit long ways and width?? Hate to have you go through all this trouble with the door and it still doesn't fit...

My garage WAS about 2" to short on depth and I had to put the nose of the trailer in first and into the drywall (hole) so it would fit.

Sent from Never Neverland using my iPhone 4 on Tapatalk

Duane D
02-26-2012, 06:51 PM

MUCH more difficult and expensive than raising a header!

mikeg205
02-26-2012, 07:07 PM
is the header in the way or the edge of the garage door?

Jerseydave
02-26-2012, 07:20 PM

^the above cannot be a serious question, right? (I assume you have a concrete floor, not wood, gravel or dirt)

Although I have to admit on our farm we have been known to get out the shovel and dig to make some equipment fit in barns. but again I'm talking dirt floors.

bcd
02-26-2012, 09:14 PM
I have a 2012 X2, and my garage height is 83.5". I made a custom hitch that I unpin, jack up the trailer tongue, and repin it, and back the boat in and out of the garage. This just gets my boat to clear. For you to get 81", you would need to make the extension longer. The downside would be hitch clearance when you are towing the boat. The longer extension would stick down lower. My hitch has about 5" of clearance. I can post drawings for my design if you're interested. It cost me about $200 to have a local shop fab it up for me.

onewheat
02-26-2012, 10:45 PM
I raised my header - piece of cake with one friend to help and about $800 for a new insulated 16' x 8' door, which I kind of needed anyway.

gotta_ski
02-27-2012, 04:10 AM
Please, post some pics. The guys on this board are an amazing resource, and if you don't have the skills to raise the header yourself they might be able to see something that you haven't. If this is what is standing between you and MC ownership, whatever you have to do is worth it.

Jim@BAWS
02-27-2012, 08:14 AM

It does matter...there are 2 different towers on a 2012...the ZFT POWERTOWER and the BASE Tower...Knowing which one will help!!!

tuchodi51
02-27-2012, 11:00 AM
My 08 X2 is a couple of inches too high with the tower laid down for my door. All I do is back it in till it's almost to the hitting point,lay a couple of 4"x4" blocks of wood about two ft long behind my rear itres on the truck, back up and as the truck climbs onto the blocks the boat drops in the rear allowing passage thru the door. Reverse thr process on the way out.

Harry Reynolds
02-27-2012, 12:20 PM
This whole thread is starting to stink...

Latin Flyer
02-27-2012, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the support guys, i will have more news tomorrow.

I did not have time to take the pictures, if the dealer cannot figure out a way i will work on all suggestions here.

Thanks again

emnesto
02-28-2012, 12:17 AM
I didn't raise the top part of the header, I made the header thinner. Changing from a wooden to a steel I-beam saved most of what I needed. Then when putting in the taller garage door, I had them install ceiling-hugging tracks. That gave me all I needed.

BrooksfamX2
02-28-2012, 12:21 AM
Back the boat up to the garage door, put rolling floor jack under trailer tongue and jack up, (dont use tongue wheel) unhook from tow vehicle and move it forward, lower jack down as far as it will go and use it as tongue wheel, this should put bow down as low as it can go, push boat into garage........

Thrall
02-28-2012, 03:33 AM
Thanks for the support guys, i will have more news tomorrow.

I did not have time to take the pictures, if the dealer cannot figure out a way i will work on all suggestions here.

Thanks again

Haha.......wow!
You're dropping presumably $70k on a boat and not willing to modify your garage dooe height to get the boat in?
"Sanding" the floor won't work. I got 8 laborers with rivet busters tearing apart a bridge deck as we speak (hence the reason I'm on here in the middle of the night). If you were closer to Seattle I could have them lower your floor pretty quickly! (BTW, most garage floors are only 4" thick.)
Since you don't know anything about construction, let the folks here help.
How tall is your garage ceiling?
That will be the deciding factor if you can raise the header.
If it's a new(er) door, you could raise it enough to add another panel to the door.

Dealer must be bending over backwards for you. Sale contingent upon it fitting in the garage???
I'll try that line next time.

Latin Flyer
02-28-2012, 08:42 PM
Well, i,m officialy part of the mastercraft group, it fits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
First of all let me thank ALL of you, all the input was considered.

The dealer found a way to drop the trailer 2 inches, he came in today and it fits! There is no room for a niddle to go trough!!!!

I tried to upload a picture but was not able, i will do it later on.

JRW160
02-28-2012, 08:49 PM
I would think sale contingent on fitting the garage would be pretty common. A friend of mine custom ordered a new nautique a few years as go and the deal was contingent on it fitting in his garage. He had to go with the titan tower and had ramlin make him a custom trailer a couple of inches lower than normal. The deal was still contingent on it fitting in his garage when it was all said and done.

mikeg205
02-28-2012, 09:12 PM
Well, i,m officialy part of the mastercraft group, it fits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
First of all let me thank ALL of you, all the input was considered.

The dealer found a way to drop the trailer 2 inches, he came in today and it fits! There is no room for a niddle to go trough!!!!

I tried to upload a picture but was not able, i will do it later on.

When are you taking it out on water...being in miami and all... :)

Latin Flyer
02-28-2012, 09:15 PM
what do you mean where???? There is unlimited water acces here.
I have a park 5 minutes away, 3 miles of perfect barefoot waters.
Now I cannot upload te pciture!!!! When I click on picture it wants an url?????

Latin Flyer
02-28-2012, 09:30 PM
Here is, tahnks to all once again

Millertime
02-28-2012, 10:08 PM
Congrats!! Lets see some pics of the boat (now that you figured how to upload them). What did they do to the trailer to lower it? Just the different tires?

BrooksfamX2
02-29-2012, 09:27 AM
I would think sale contingent on fitting the garage would be pretty common. A friend of mine custom ordered a new nautique a few years as go and the deal was contingent on it fitting in his garage. He had to go with the titan tower and had ramlin make him a custom trailer a couple of inches lower than normal. The deal was still contingent on it fitting in his garage when it was all said and done.

My last new boat was contingent on fitting in the garage. I was worried about the width as it had a 102" beam and I didnt know how wide my opening was as I did know the boat I would pick would be this wide. I had been looking at 96" ers. The dealer delivered the boat and backed it right in. My garage opening is 104.5" wide and 28' deep. I have an 8' high door.

This was the first time my wife saw the boat. My son and I did all the shopping. When the dealer backed it in and it fit, I looked at my wife and said "dang, I guess we have to buy it now"........:D

jason95gt
02-29-2012, 11:49 AM
For what it is worth, Boatmate and Phoenix trailers make a low sitting trailer that makes the X-2 about 2-3" shorter than the MC trailer. If anyone runs into this problem again, just order one of those instead.

broncotw
02-29-2012, 11:54 AM
Holy cow bro! I am glad this ordeal is over for you and all of the others that were trying to assist you!

thatsmrmastercraft
02-29-2012, 12:03 PM
Here is, tahnks to all once again

Plenty of room to spare.:rolleyes:

BrooksfamX2
02-29-2012, 01:56 PM
perfect...........

jbkriss
02-29-2012, 04:10 PM
For you guys that think it's as easy as "cutting out the top of the door opening and raising it", you don't know very much about South Florida construction. I know, because I did it. I live in Ft Lauderdale and increased my garage doors here in South Florida from 7' to 8'. I bought my boat from the same dealer as OP and his tower BTW, is the ZFT2; I saw it at the Miami Boat Show.

Raising my garage doors required cutting out more than 12" of concrete and steel tie beam then, reinforcing it with steel plates by way of 9" concrete wedge anchors. Then you have to re-frame the top, re-stucco everything and paint it.That doesn't even include the mods to the actual doors themselves. Trust me, it's not a one day job here in South Florida. And it'll cost you a couple extra grand. For me it was about 5-6K because the wifepiece made me do it to all three doors. Some bullshmit about continuity, I don't know... But, at the end of the day it was worth it because I was dead set on getting an X-Star AND keeping it in the garage.

http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/y329/jk42674/garage3.jpg
http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/y329/jk42674/garage4.jpg
http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/y329/jk42674/garage1.jpg

Yes, this is a 100" beam X-Star in a 105" garage door opening.

slink976
02-29-2012, 04:14 PM
I had to take the tower completely off to get mine in the garage. so much of a PITA I now have a soft garage in my drive way.

scott023
02-29-2012, 04:40 PM

Is this whole thread a joke??? :confused:

scott023
02-29-2012, 04:43 PM
Plenty of room to spare.:rolleyes:

That's beyond nip and tuck. Wow.

TheOneandOnly
02-29-2012, 04:43 PM
raised our garage door 3 years ago, cost 1k to do, looking back think i was crazy to do it but it wasn't that much. I would never think about deflating the tires,etc do it right and lift the door if your that concerned else store outside,etc

JohnE
03-04-2012, 04:03 PM
Why can you not modify the garage door header? It is literally a few hours worth of work, what you are talking about doing is many times more laborious and expensive!

best advice

Good advice, but may be a little more than a few hours work. I would like to raise the header in my garage to gain a half a foot. I need to get an lvl spec'd and it will easily be 2 days work - and I know what I am doing. Itis holding up 2 floors above plus the roof load.

For op to hire a contractor, raise header, and buy new door ( it would lookkindof funny with the original door) , it may not be inexpensive

REDX2
03-12-2012, 08:41 PM
board racks facing down with tower folded down on rear engine cover fits fine in my garage.
key is racks facing down

NatesGr8
03-14-2012, 09:07 AM
Threads like this make me glad i get to keep my boat in the water, covered, on a lift!

BrooksfamX2
03-14-2012, 09:39 AM
Threads like this make me glad i get to keep my boat in the water, covered, on a lift!

Threads like this makes me glad I had 8' doors put in when we built the house........;)