PDA

View Full Version : Looking at a Polaris Sportsman

Willski
02-24-2012, 07:29 PM
I am looking for a Polaris Sportsman, and I found one that I am going to look at tomorrow. Anybody on here have one that wants to comment on specifics I should be looking for? I've never owned a 4 wheeler. Seems like my friends on here have a lot of toys!

epnault
02-24-2012, 07:42 PM
I might be the right guy for this. :) I am going to send you a PM

dog paw
02-24-2012, 08:43 PM
Can't comment first hand for the Sportsman but I do have a Polaris Ranger. It's a rock solid piece of equipment. Its got around 260 hours on it without a single problem. I use it alot for wood and putting the ski's in and out of the water. It will move my MC around but I'm a bit scared to try the ramp with it.. Dunno what I did before I got it :)

ahhudgins
02-24-2012, 08:47 PM
I know nothing about them, but my son is selling his Sportsman. He bought it new two years ago to use for hunting and it served its purpose. We get very little snow in VA but he bought a small blade for it last year and I could shovel the driveway faster than he could plow it. He tried to use it like a racing 4 wheeler and started snapping axles and some other kind of joints? I'm sure it depends on the engine size too, I'll ask him what he thinks.

boater8987
02-24-2012, 09:11 PM
Can't comment first hand for the Sportsman but I do have a Polaris Ranger. It's a rock solid piece of equipment. Its got around 260 hours on it without a single problem. I use it alot for wood and putting the ski's in and out of the water. It will move my MC around but I'm a bit scared to try the ramp with it.. Dunno what I did before I got it :)

+1 I have a Polaris Ranger HD. 3 years not one problem. Polaris is also an American company. But just like any other brand you can have an issure if abused or lack of maintenace.

magnum
02-24-2012, 11:47 PM
I have one of the New Polaris Sportsman 850 XP and it is the smoothing riding ATV I have ever owned, Just floats over rough terrain plus has power sterring . The power is also unbelieveable

rholmes
02-25-2012, 12:36 AM
Have a 98 or 99 sportsman 500, it is a beast. I think we are at about 1800 hours on it. Only problem we have had is bad factory welds for the tow hitch, but then again, we could have been overloading it...

CruisinGA
02-25-2012, 01:49 AM
Polaris atv's ride great. I have several friends with them, they tend to be much higher maintenance than my Honda's but ride better if you are into the "Cadillac" sort of ride. I like a sportier, more rugged atv so they are not for me. (when I say rugged, I mean sink it in a river, drag it out and keep riding kind of rugged).

Some of my lake neighbors wouldn't have anything else, so I can't speak to badly about them. Just depends on what you are looking for.

2RLAKE
02-25-2012, 09:48 AM
i had a 99 sportsman 330 that was terrific ... virtually no problems in 10 years. I currently have a 2010 trailboss and a 2012 Ranger 500 EFI .. absolutely terrific machines ... i'm biased ... just like my MC, i'd only buy another Polaris

SkiDog
02-25-2012, 11:41 AM
Here's my current ride, and it too, is a beast!

epnault
02-25-2012, 11:52 AM
Gotta love the Ranger Crew at the lake. Ours get used a lot for ice cream cone and liquor store runs. Mine has a 4 speaker Kicker sounds system and makes a great vehicle to haul all the kids.

2RLAKE
02-25-2012, 05:37 PM
Gotta love the Ranger Crew at the lake. Ours get used a lot for ice cream cone and liquor store runs. Mine has a 4 speaker Kicker sounds system and makes a great vehicle to haul all the kids.

would love to see that ... have any pictures?

epnault
02-25-2012, 06:13 PM
I just got rid of my 2011 and the dealer is prepping my 2012 next week. I will post a pic when I re-intall the stereo and other accessories. It is Pearl white with metal flake paint.

Willski
02-25-2012, 08:24 PM
I didn't buy the one I looked at today.....Looking as bad as it did, it probably wasn't properly mechanically maintained either!

Thanks to epnault for the advice you have given me!

SkiDog
02-25-2012, 08:36 PM

I have changed toe stereo in this one too. Got a 400 watt amp in the front, 12'' sub under the front seat, and 4 6x9's. 2 over the front seat and 2 over the rear. Sounds KILLER!

epnault
02-26-2012, 05:29 AM
Sorry for the threadjack Will

SkiDog- I would love to see how you packaged an amp and sub in your crew.

SkiDog
02-26-2012, 11:03 AM
Sorry for the threadjack Will

SkiDog- I would love to see how you packaged an amp and sub in your crew.

Its only a half of threadjack, but I appoligize too. I'll get some pis the next time I go to the cabin where it is currently stored. Should be sometime this coming week.

Willski
02-26-2012, 07:51 PM
No worries guys. I'm married, Between the wife and the kids, I'm used to no one listening at my house.

Just kidding. I would also like to see the tricked out ATVs! 3:29 AM though? Don't you people sleep?

epnault
02-27-2012, 10:16 AM
Yes, I have sleeping issues.

Check your email. I think I found you a sweet deal but you might have to take Illinois land.