PDA

View Full Version : Verifying boat ownership

Hogwild
02-24-2012, 04:21 PM
Is there a way to search a state's database to see who an owner of a boat is based upon the registration number on the boat's bow? If so, do you guys know if there is a fee involved? I'm trying to verify whether a boat listed online is a fraud and don't know or don't want to pay a fee for a service like carfax for boats.

willyt
02-24-2012, 04:23 PM
Really? It's not hard to tell whether it's a scam 99% of the time. Ask for the HIN, usually the ones they give you are invalid

Jerseydave
02-24-2012, 04:53 PM
Have him take a picture of it on his cell phone and text you that pic....with today's copy of USA today laying on the swim platform! :D

AND have him text you a pic of the hull #

Hogwild
02-24-2012, 05:45 PM
Maybe I should have asked clearer. I know it is easy most of the time to tell if it is a scam, but he hasn't even responded to an email yet. I just wanted to know if you could look at the registration # on the bow and then run it through a system (even if i have to call the state) to tell me who the actual owner is.

73blue
02-24-2012, 05:56 PM
Got any friends in law enforcement? They should be able to run the numbers

Jerseydave
02-24-2012, 05:59 PM

^ that's what I was thinking. I doubt DMV is going to give you an owner's name, much less any other info about them.

thatsmrmastercraft
02-24-2012, 07:05 PM
^ that's what I was thinking. I doubt DMV is going to give you an owner's name, much less any other info about them.

In MN, you can call the Department of Conversation (DNR) and they will tell you. It is a public record.

lettmeknow
02-24-2012, 07:29 PM

Sure, that will get him fired.

johnlanguab
02-25-2012, 10:04 AM
If all else fails:

www.assetsearchesplus.com

CantRepeat
02-25-2012, 10:20 AM
Maybe I should have asked clearer. I know it is easy most of the time to tell if it is a scam, but he hasn't even responded to an email yet. I just wanted to know if you could look at the registration # on the bow and then run it through a system (even if i have to call the state) to tell me who the actual owner is.

Well, I wouldn't trust Reg# to be honest, you'll always want to check the HIN.

Patrick Hardy
02-25-2012, 11:01 AM

I have never used this site, so I do not know how good it is. It is worth a try and it seems legit. http://www.boathistoryreport.com/

mikeg205
02-25-2012, 12:00 PM
Get the Hull ID - call the state of which it is registered. They will tell you if it has a clear title they won't tell who it is. Better yet have the seller send you pic of the registration. At least you will get a positive response of the boat being registered properly...

73blue
02-25-2012, 02:37 PM
I'm fairly sure you have to pay for that, in TN at least.

mikeg205
02-25-2012, 03:00 PM
I'm fairly sure you have to pay for that, in TN at least.

If you are that concerned....it's a major red flag... I would move on.

MIskier
02-25-2012, 03:40 PM
If you get the HIN the Coast Guard will do a title search and any other financials on the boat. It works just like a title search on a house. It does cost a few hundred dollars though. This is something anyone buying a boat should do regardless if it is being bought from a dealer or private party.

Hogwild
02-26-2012, 12:56 PM
Thanks guys. It seems the deal was probably too good to be true. :-) I haven't received a response so I'm sure it was a scam. Here was the ad I am talking about. http://sacramento.craigslist.org/boa/2867433326.html

mikeg205
02-26-2012, 08:50 PM
Thanks guys. It seems the deal was probably too good to be true. :-) I haven't received a response so I'm sure it was a scam. Here was the ad I am talking about. http://sacramento.craigslist.org/boa/2867433326.html

no pics... no response... there's others here that our a nice price... there's one here for 12K with a tower and tunes...ready to ski and wake and in nice condition and the owner responds like a rocket...

Thrall
02-28-2012, 04:43 AM
Add doesn't look like a scam, really.
Guy is probably just a flake.
ALot of CL adds that the dill weeds don't put their phone #'s on and then don't check email.
Or maybe the guy doesn't "want" to sell it, so he threw it up there so he could tell the ole lady he's trying to sell it, but "noone was interested."

Hogwild
02-28-2012, 06:21 PM
Add doesn't look like a scam, really.
Guy is probably just a flake.
ALot of CL adds that the dill weeds don't put their phone #'s on and then don't check email.
Or maybe the guy doesn't "want" to sell it, so he threw it up there so he could tell the ole lady he's trying to sell it, but "noone was interested."

I thought it looked pretty legit too, but no response to anything and I've emailed a couple of times. Maybe you're right about his wife. Sucks though; it looks like nice boat and right in my ballpark price.