PDA

View Full Version : Good Wakeboard to get started on???

mlawler34
02-24-2012, 02:52 PM
Hey everyone! I just picked up a 2004 Mastercraft XStar! This is my first wakeboard boat. Yea, I went all out! And it is a huge step up from the I/O I had. I have wakeboarded only a handful of times when I was in college, and after knee surgery I am ready to take it on again. Im an avid snowboarder and would consider myself a really good snowboarder (ride switch, pull some small spins, been out west rode powder, jumped off cliffs).

So I obviously need a wakeboard. Im good on the sizing and am comfortable with the size I ordered for my weight etc.

I was wondering your thoughts on the Ronix Vault. I picked up the 2011 on sale. Is this going to be a good board to get into wakeboarding and progress a little? I know it wont be good forever and will have to eventually buy a new board once I progress and get better. But is it going to hold me back at all as I progress?

Open to all thoughts and suggestions. Thanks guys!

mikeg205
02-24-2012, 03:51 PM
Midwest? somewhere near chicago? if you lose competitions like the in the video because of the board...then I would consider a new board...:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMdD4npwNQk

mlawler34
02-25-2012, 12:27 PM
Haha thanks for the input. Great video. I live in Michigan. I'm from the Flint area and boat in Fenton.

thatsmrmastercraft
02-25-2012, 12:46 PM
Welcome to Team Talk and the Mastercraft Family. I can't offer any advice on the board, but would like to see some pics of the XStar.

willyt
02-25-2012, 12:57 PM
jeez son. first wakeboat and you go for the xstar. go big or go home... i like it.

I can from a similar background, avid snowboarder, hadnt been into wakeboarding. I think you'll really like the star's wake, if you weigh it right its like going off a kicker on the snowboard.

As far as a wakeboard, i think you'll really like the locked-in feeling that most (i think) ronix boards have, especially the one. I would also recommend the CWB transcend.

mikeg205
02-25-2012, 01:59 PM
Fenton? Hey - head over to pine lake ski school - not far - ask for Dirk and he's all up for recommending gear and letting you try it out. http://pinelakeskischool.com/home.html

Dirk is the dude on the slalom on the web page....

What lake do you play on...I am always looking for good lakes out that way... travel a bunch for business and the $150 for a lesson is a bit steep at Pine Lake...

JulioX2
02-27-2012, 04:21 PM
The Ronix Vault is an excellent board to start on. WIth the skills you have snowboarding, you'll be moving on to a more expert board in a couple seasons. I too started off with the Vault and I liked it when I first started off. What kind of bindings did you get?

Jeff d
02-27-2012, 04:42 PM
I would also recommend the CWB transcend.

I've been wakeboarding for 15+ years and the Transcend is what I ride now. Crazy pop! My favorite board to date. It may be a bit abrupt for a n00b though. Not sure though as the abrupt pop may not come into play until you're mature enough to handle it anyway. If you're used to kickers on a snowboard it might be just what you're looking for.

mlawler34
02-28-2012, 12:31 PM
Fenton? Hey - head over to pine lake ski school - not far - ask for Dirk and he's all up for recommending gear and letting you try it out. http://pinelakeskischool.com/home.html

Dirk is the dude on the slalom on the web page....

What lake do you play on...I am always looking for good lakes out that way... travel a bunch for business and the $150 for a lesson is a bit steep at Pine Lake...

Thanks for the advice I boat on Lake Fenton. Its pretty nice. It can get busy during the weekend but late morning is usually perfect to ride. Not a lot of boat and long stretches of open water.

mlawler34
02-28-2012, 12:37 PM
Thank everyone for all the input i definately appreciate it. I think the board will suit me well for a few years as I progress.

JulioX2 - No bindings yet, just found a good deal on the board. Everyone I have spoke to says just go with the closed toe boots and spend the money on those more than a board when you start out cause they will last you a few years. But i am looking at getting the Ronix one bindings. And i am going to try on a bunch cause I need to get a good solid fit. Im often between sizes in shoes.

I will try to post a picture if I can figure that out too.

mlawler34
02-28-2012, 12:44 PM
Hopefully this will post a picture of my new baby!