PDA

View Full Version : Wake Surfing illegal in NSW Australia

chippy1971
02-23-2012, 10:44 PM
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to let everyone know that I was pulled up by the MSB on the weekend because I was taking my kids wake surfing and they wanted to charge me because the kids were not 7 metre behind the boat.

Now while I cannot find a rule in any of the boat license manuals, they are claiming that if someone is not 7 metres behind the boat they can be charged.

Now as we all know that is not going to allow us to go wake surfing anymore.

The other thing that they are trying to claim is that we could get carbon monoxide poisoning is also a problem because we are too close to the back of the boat.

I could understand this if we were in a closed room or somewhere that was closed off but not on an open river.

I am wondering if anyone else is with me on fighting this with the MSB to show them that it is not a problem and if it is done correctly it should not be illegal.

Jerseydave
02-24-2012, 09:41 AM
Similar problem here in New Jersey. Rope has to be at least 35 feet long, no more than 75 feet.
We've been lucky so far, talked our way out of it once. Now I hook the rope to the bow eye, go up and over the tower and back to the rider.......35 feet of rope!

I'm afraid that lawmakers eventually will look harder at wake surfing and start regulating or prohibiting it even though it's probably the safest thing you can do behind an (inboard) boat.

DemolitionMan
02-24-2012, 09:49 AM
More Big Brother.

Tri4X2
02-24-2012, 11:08 AM
There was a time here in Austin Texas that they tried to outlaw it on Lake Austin.

ski/hunt
02-24-2012, 11:23 AM
Sounds like it's time to take up slalom!! You won't have to worry about rope length until you can ski beyond 39 off....:)

BrooksfamX2
02-24-2012, 11:25 AM
tr6coug got stopped on Lake Shasta 2 years ago. Said they needed a rope......it is the officers interpretation of the regulation at this point it seams.

ahhudgins
02-24-2012, 04:01 PM
Similar problem here in New Jersey. Rope has to be at least 35 feet long, no more than 75 feet.
We've been lucky so far, talked our way out of it once. Now I hook the rope to the bow eye, go up and over the tower and back to the rider.......35 feet of rope!

Necessity is the mother of invention. Good job on that one!

mikeg205
02-24-2012, 04:15 PM
when will these legislators learn they serve - not rule... fricken' lobbyists - thanks the insurance company lobbyists...they must be think of doing a face plant while surfing with an I/O... there's the danger right.... oh brother...

kskonn
02-24-2012, 04:27 PM
The governing body of the lake that I am on do not allow wake surfing, they do not enforce it unless someone calls and complains.

mikeg205
02-24-2012, 04:42 PM
governing body - that says it all... :(

hewlett6621
02-24-2012, 05:19 PM
It's like everything these days, more and more rules. Behind a inboard boat surfing is safe ,but I'm sure some people try with the other types of boats and that is dangerous. I also live in N.S.W. and where we use our boat everyone surfs so I hope this is just an isolated case .

ahhudgins
02-24-2012, 07:54 PM
They just can't keep out of our business. What's next, outlaw teak surfing? ;)

tr6coug
02-25-2012, 04:15 AM
The cops are clueless about wakesurfing. I actually had a sheriff stop me on the water and tell me that wake surfing was illegal in California because of the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. BUT...

If we held onto a rope while wakesurfing then it was safe. Apparently you can't get CO poisoning while holding a rope.

medicmoose
02-25-2012, 05:16 AM
The cops are clueless about wakesurfing. I actually had a sheriff stop me on the water and tell me that wake surfing was illegal in California because of the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. BUT...

If we held onto a rope while wakesurfing then it was safe. Apparently you can't get CO poisoning while holding a rope.

Well, that makes perfect sense! :rolleyes:

thatsmrmastercraft
02-25-2012, 10:41 AM

See, if you pay attention, you can learn something new every day.:rolleyes:

BrooksfamX2
02-25-2012, 11:27 AM

Hopefully he'll leave us alone this year, but I have a special CO2 neutralizing rope just in case........;)

What are you doing up at 1:15 am on TT????
:confused:

hewlett6621
04-10-2012, 02:23 AM
I was pulled over yesterday for wake surfing . He told me it was a $500.00 fine if the wake surfer was not at least 6 meters behind the back of the boat. We all know that makes wake surfing impossible . How can we make the law makers see that what we do is safe. He let me off with a warning but that's not the point. $500.00 puts a lot of fuel in the boat. So MAD.

chippy1971
04-10-2012, 04:53 AM
I would ask them to show you the law in writing. I cannot find it in the NSW MSB manual. Now my wife just did her test last year so she could get her license and not one mention of it was brought up while she was in the course.

I think it is just people not knowing what they are talking about.

So I would also question boom bars off the side of the boat then as these cannot be legal either.

The all need a good hard kick in the butt.

If I get fined I will be taking it to court to prove to them that they are wrong.

Barefooter92
04-10-2012, 07:29 AM
I got an idea, lets go out and spend $100K on a boat with the sole purpose to wake surf! What are you going to do now? You all know this will be an issue in every state soon. They make the rules and change them everyday. I love to surf but our days are numbered.

Cobra Rob
04-10-2012, 09:11 AM
Given an inboard..... I would argue it's way safer than wakeboarding. I didn't hurt myself a single time learning to surf the way I did learning to wakeboard. Catch an edge and face plant and it hurts you can break bones and dislocate something. Wakesurfing it is more.. awe darn I lost the wave I am going to slowly sink into the water because I am going like 10mph.. ..

Just wait till they mandate how fast you can go with someone behind the boat sorry nothing over 10mph but you must be atleast 30ft back.. it's for your safety :p

We have the problem in our area of all wake stuff getting hasseled. It's the canoeers causing the fuss which sucks since they have like 4 additional rivers we can not even go on. In addition wake boats have the pay the registration that pays for the marine board to make these decisions and the rowers don't... They are going to drive away the people paying for their department..

waterbug
04-10-2012, 09:47 AM
I wish it were illegal here......

Barefooter92
04-10-2012, 12:21 PM
Like I said I enjoy it (surfing) but long after the glass is gone. Footing and skinny stick come first. After the tubers start tearing up the lake then and only then is it time for surf. I would agree it is less impact than that damn wakeboard. Heck I can foot all summer long and not take a hit like that on a wakeboard!

I would watch those tree huggers and fishermen as they are the ones that will get this banned. Waves large enough to tear up the shore line...

Heelgrad
04-10-2012, 01:13 PM

Care to specify why?

mzimme
04-10-2012, 01:47 PM
Care to specify why?

I would guess because he's a ski purist.

scott023
04-10-2012, 01:54 PM

Bah humbug.

shepherd
04-10-2012, 02:21 PM
Care to specify why?

I would guess because he's a ski purist.

Maybe he has some of that shoreline property that is getting damaged by the humungous waves. If that's it, can't say I could blame him.

Heelgrad
04-10-2012, 03:28 PM
Maybe he has some of that shoreline property that is getting damaged by the humungous waves. If that's it, can't say I could blame him.

Then I suppose we should ban all the 35-50 foot cruisers on the big lakes similar to what we have around here...because if you've ever crossed one of their wakes at 15+ mph its a heck of a lot bigger than a surf wake any boat puts out.

jbkriss
04-10-2012, 03:42 PM
What the patrolmen pulling you over don't know is that the CO is probably worse inside the boat than behind it...

http://www.boatpipes.com/FAE%20Carbon%20Monoxide%20Report.jsp

http://www.uscgboating.org/assets/1/Publications/CO_SafeDistanceReport.pdf

CantRepeat
04-10-2012, 04:01 PM

I agree.

There are a lot of careless people who don't give two $hits about the people live on and own lake property. It's just like anything else were someone just comes in and does what they please.

On the lake I mostly surf at I ALWAYS make sure the surf wave is facing away from the shore line so that it must travel the maximum distance across the lake before it reaches someone's dock, boat, or property. It isn't that big a deal for me to do this and I know it keeps the home owners a little happier.

I also wouldn't go surfing or wake boarding in an area that has a ski course set up in it. That's just BS if you do.

If on the other hand he is saying this because he just doesn't like wake surfing well then [censor]. :D:D

shepherd
04-10-2012, 04:41 PM
Then I suppose we should ban all the 35-50 foot cruisers on the big lakes similar to what we have around here...because if you've ever crossed one of their wakes at 15+ mph its a heck of a lot bigger than a surf wake any boat puts out.

I'm not supporting the guy, I was just suggesting what may be his motivation for feeling that way.

Personally, I'm against any of these laws - especially the ones designed to protect me from myself.

mzimme
04-10-2012, 04:44 PM
I'm not supporting the guy, I was just suggesting what may be his motivation for feeling that way.

I don't support any of these laws or bans. If a property owner wants to stop a huge wake-making device from damaging his property, there are already avenues to do so, such as civil litigation. But if he is advocating laws that affect us all and ruin our fun.. ****er should die. :mad:

Or he could build up his land to be able to take a wave or two hitting it from time to time. Afterall, it is LAKE property. Plan accordingly. Big waves are nothing new for anyone on a bigger lake...

I'm all for being courteous to the homeowners, but if you buy lakefront property and expect there to never be waves pounding onto shore, then you bought a house in the wrong location.

shepherd
04-10-2012, 04:47 PM
I also wouldn't go surfing or wake boarding in an area that has a ski course set up in it. That's just BS if you do.

A true gentleman! :toast:

shepherd
04-10-2012, 04:52 PM
Or he could build up his land to be able to take a wave or two hitting it from time to time. Afterall, it is LAKE property. Plan accordingly. Big waves are nothing new for anyone on a bigger lake...

I'm all for being courteous to the homeowners, but if you buy lakefront property and expect there to never be waves pounding onto shore, then you bought a house in the wrong location.

One thing that always gets me is the tool who doesn't know how to tie his boat up to a dock properly and then yells at you for cruising by his place at more than idle speed.

scott023
04-10-2012, 05:42 PM
I agree.

There are a lot of careless people who don't give two $hits about the people live on and own lake property. It's just like anything else were someone just comes in and does what they please.

On the lake I mostly surf at I ALWAYS make sure the surf wave is facing away from the shore line so that it must travel the maximum distance across the lake before it reaches someone's dock, boat, or property. It isn't that big a deal for me to do this and I know it keeps the home owners a little happier.

I also wouldn't go surfing or wake boarding in an area that has a ski course set up in it. That's just BS if you do.If on the other hand he is saying this because he just doesn't like wake surfing well then [censor]. :D:D

Great post on avoiding the course.

Equally as good on the censored bit as well. :D

scott023
04-10-2012, 05:43 PM
One thing that always gets me is the tool who doesn't know how to tie his boat up to a dock properly and then yells at you for cruising by his place at more than idle speed.

Those guys are complete tools. They really need a wake up call. Excuse the pun.

waterbug
04-10-2012, 06:18 PM
Care to specify why?

Huge rolling wakes! Not only does it effect the entire lake for others, but it was also a factor in the law passed last year that made every lake on my chain a no wake zone because of shore line erosion. It's not me in my PS190 that causes the most lakeshore damage. Every year, the manufacturers come out with A bigger turd boat that throws a bigger wake! Well, now it's starting to negatively affect all watersports for everyone.... At least it is here.

mzimme
04-10-2012, 06:26 PM
Huge rolling wakes! Not only does it effect the entire lake for others, but it was also a factor in the law passed last year that made every lake on my chain a no wake zone because of shore line erosion. It's not me in my PS190 that causes the most lakeshore damage. Every year, the manufacturers come out with A bigger turd boat that throws a bigger wake! Well, now it's starting to negatively affect all watersports for everyone.... At least it is here.

Yep, a ski purist.

waterbug
04-10-2012, 06:45 PM
I'm not one of the people who coplained and got this no wake zone passed. I don't really care, my shoreline is well protected. And as previously stated, should be expected. As most here are.... But now, because of all this, I am unable to enjoy the lakes like I used to be able to.

Jerseydave
04-10-2012, 06:48 PM
Since more and more wakesurf and wakeboard boats are coming with heavier ballast tanks the effects of larger wakes on smaller bodies of water will be a problem. It certainly would make me own a boat lift or a lakefront property located in a cove or no wake zone. (someday!)

And of course there is the ignorance factor of the public. A few years back an environmental group tried to get NJ to pass a speed limit law on the Barnegate bay to make the speed limit 35 mph claiming higher boat speeds were causing shore erosion! Clueless! :mad:

It didn't pass.

mitchelmilitiapres
04-10-2012, 07:02 PM
But now, because of all this, I am unable to enjoy the lakes like I used to be able to.

I hate to hear about your predicament, but you have like 20,000 of them, so I think you'll be ok.

Heelgrad
04-10-2012, 08:30 PM
I hate to hear about your predicament, but you have like 20,000 of them, so I think you'll be ok.

^^^^^^^This

scott023
04-10-2012, 09:00 PM

Fuddy Duddy.

scott023
04-10-2012, 09:01 PM
Since more and more wakesurf and wakeboard boats are coming with heavier ballast tanks the effects of larger wakes on smaller bodies of water will be a problem. It certainly would make me own a boat lift or a lakefront property located in a cove or no wake zone. (someday!)

And of course there is the ignorance factor of the public. A few years back an environmental group tried to get NJ to pass a speed limit law on the Barnegate bay to make the speed limit 35 mph claiming higher boat speeds were causing shore erosion! Clueless! :mad:

It didn't pass.

But everyone,wants more factory ballast??? :confused:

CantRepeat
04-10-2012, 09:05 PM
Fuddy Duddy.

Piss off. The guy has a legitimate beef with people who just roll around not giving crap about anyone else. You have proven to be less then careful in your conduct when surfing when it comes to caring about yourself so I assume you don't give a crap about the people or property around you when you are doing it

Yes, I'm calling the kettle.

CantRepeat
04-10-2012, 09:09 PM

So allowing water ways to be closed because of other dirty bag people is ok? Maybe they will close down the 19,9901 water ways that you use and then it will be an issue for you too?

Don't treat water ways or other peoples property like crap and it'll be ok.

DemolitionMan
04-10-2012, 09:25 PM

You got that right.

Heelgrad
04-10-2012, 09:31 PM
So allowing water ways to be closed because of other dirty bag people is ok? Maybe they will close down the 19,9901 water ways that you use and then it will be an issue for you too?

I don't think that's what he was trying to say and assuming that the guy is out to trash other people's property is going a bit far. But let's face it, everyone wants to have fun on their boats, whether it's skiing, wakeboarding, surfing, pulling a tube or just cruising around. Every ski boat out there produces a pretty substantial wake and I think it's only fair that everyone does their best to respect a variety of things; shoreline erosion, lakefront property, etc...On any given weekend around here it's like the Atlantic Ocean on most of our lakes so labeling surfers as the bad guys is probably not the right way to look at things. Busy lakes are going to produce shoreline erosion, period. Hopefully people have enough respect not to do any sort of watersport within a stone's throw of someone's dock as that seems to be taking it a bit far. Just my .02.

mitchelmilitiapres
04-10-2012, 09:41 PM
^^^^^^^This

It's called the land of 20,000 lakes. (Minnesota) I'll make sure and spell out all my jokes from now on.:D

Heelgrad
04-10-2012, 09:50 PM
It's called the land of 20,000 lakes. (Minnesota) I'll make sure and spell out all my jokes from now on.:D

I knew what you meant. Those are some of the best fishing lakes in the world. But the joke says it all...;););)

mitchelmilitiapres
04-10-2012, 09:58 PM

Never said it was ok, just making a little joke. I agree, It sucks that there are too many wallys out there messing it up for the rest of us who respect the property and possessions of others. We only surf and wakeboard in the open water or secluded coves separate from housing developments.

Although, these whinny lake house owners should realize that when you are living on the water, unless you have taken the necessary steps to prevent it,(concrete reinforcement) your sea wall has the capability to become dilapidated over time anyway. Shore line erosion is inevitable as well. (how do you think we go the grand canyon) Water cuts through soil wether boats are present or not.

I don't believe there should be any regulations placed on surfing, because once you give the man an inch, he takes a mile. Then you're left arguing over the length of the line behind the boat, or the speed of the vessel which in every case are completely relative and allow for overinterpretation by those tasked with upholding these laws.

Just don't be a dumb@$$, drive while respecting other belongings, dont' buzz docks or sea walls, and NEVER DO POWERTURNS, and I think we can all get along just fine.

Brian B
04-10-2012, 10:44 PM
^ Spot on sir! Great post!

Cobra Rob
04-10-2012, 10:51 PM

They pushed a ton of no wake zones on the rivers here with this BS. Basically anywhere there was water flay enough to ride is now a no wake. The BS about it is they are on a damn river. the fluctuation between winter and summer which is a HUGE level change is what causes the erosion not the boats. It's a RIVER.. The local college even did an extended study and determined that the impact from the largest waves put out from boats is less than 1% of the contribution of the erosion. Now to top it off the best place that got banned is not applicable to commercial so there are several jet boats that go though there many times a day putting out huge wakes and MASSIVE barges that go though the same area that put out waves big enough to swamp a yacht. Yet apparently it was the people wakeboarding and surfing causing the issue :confused:

AZX9
04-11-2012, 01:00 AM
It's a good thing that almost all the waterfront in Arizona is not privately owned. That is unless you want to pull up and get a hamburger or own a lake house. All the shore line I run along is ROCK or sand.

tr6coug
04-11-2012, 03:05 AM
They pushed a ton of no wake zones on the rivers here with this BS. Basically anywhere there was water flay enough to ride is now a no wake. The BS about it is they are on a damn river. the fluctuation between winter and summer which is a HUGE level change is what causes the erosion not the boats. It's a RIVER.. The local college even did an extended study and determined that the impact from the largest waves put out from boats is less than 1% of the contribution of the erosion. Now to top it off the best place that got banned is not applicable to commercial so there are several jet boats that go though there many times a day putting out huge wakes and MASSIVE barges that go though the same area that put out waves big enough to swamp a yacht. Yet apparently it was the people wakeboarding and surfing causing the issue :confused:

Willamette??? That whole things was BS.

Cobra Rob
04-11-2012, 05:33 AM
Willamette??? That whole things was BS.

Yep yep... especially the Holgate channel where there is not even any damn private property.

Thrall
04-11-2012, 06:14 AM

It didn't pass.

Except, the big wake and surf boats are like, what?? .01% of the total boats on the water. you see a WHOLE LOT more I/O's and cruisers driving around in figure 8s at plowing speeds than you do wake boats.

scott023
04-11-2012, 09:33 AM
Piss off. The guy has a legitimate beef with people who just roll around not giving crap about anyone else. You have proven to be less then careful in your conduct when surfing when it comes to caring about yourself so I assume you don't give a crap about the people or property around you when you are doing it

Yes, I'm calling the kettle.

You piss off. I am very careful about how close I am to shore, and how close I am to others when surfing. You should shut your cake hole when you don't know what you're talking about. :flipa:

scott023
04-11-2012, 09:34 AM

Me too. I forgot the smilie when I posted mine up. My bad. :o

CantRepeat
04-11-2012, 10:10 AM
You piss off. I am very careful about how close I am to shore, and how close I am to others when surfing. You should shut your cake hole when you don't know what you're talking about. :flipa:

Come on man, give me a hug!!! :D

shepherd
04-11-2012, 11:01 AM
I must say waterbug has a point. I hate no wake zones. If it comes down to choosing between a wakesurfing ban and slowing us all down to idle speed, I'd have to choose the ban. I'd still be pissed off about it though. :mad:

oxberger
04-11-2012, 03:02 PM

It didn't pass.

That's good it didn't pass. My no wake speed is 35mph and above. I have an '85 SS and there is virtually no wake at the higher speeds. :D

mzimme
04-11-2012, 04:24 PM
That's good it didn't pass. My no wake speed is 35mph and above. I have an '85 SS and there is virtually no wake at the higher speeds. :D

It's a thing of beauty, really :)