PDA

View Full Version : Reliable? Titan? Kodiak? '04 MC Trailer Questions

deminimis
02-23-2012, 03:30 PM
Hey folks. need to replace at least one rotor/hub on our 2004 MC dual axle trailer. Probably need to replace the actuator shock as well. Is the surge brake/actuator a Titan Aero 7500 or?? Are the wheel parts (rotor, for example) made by "Reliable" "Kodiak" or another mfr? Also, for those that switched to Kodiak calipers, which ones did you choose, exactly? Time to fix my screwed up brakes. Thanks.

I think the replacement calipers (if going to Kodiak) are the Kodiak 225 series, but hoping someone can verify this.
I still think the Surge Brake Assembly is a Titan Aero 7500, but not positive and, again, hoping someone can verify this.
I still have no idea what brand the hubs are, so help a guy out, please.

deminimis
03-08-2012, 12:11 PM
Anyone????

Sodar
03-08-2012, 12:33 PM
Take a pic of your actuator. There are a few different models out there.

deminimis
03-08-2012, 05:34 PM
The actuator is definitely a titan, so got that covered. Thanks.

The hub/rotor has me scratching my head.

bturner2
03-08-2012, 06:43 PM
Really? That's not what I would expect. Are you sure it's a MasterCraft trailer? Pictures would help. I had a 03 X2 and now own a 07 X2 and both had Reliable actuators. Reliable replaced the calipers for me on the 03 with Kodiak.

deminimis
03-08-2012, 08:35 PM
Decided it was time to dig into this thing. Calipers are Reliable CR-1000. Hopefully Kodiak can cross reference them for me. Got under and looked at the actuator damper. Here's the pic of the actuator for good measure.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-6tp9S38nk2c/T1ldHGRhuSI/AAAAAAAABfo/IhwDlgSzGz8/s640/IMG_20120308_165035.jpg

Here's a Titan 7500

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41LkwKB5VzL._SS500_.jpg

I read on here that MC welds the wings on to make it's own swing/hing. That seems correct and, of course, the top plate is welded right were it would read "Titan" if, in fact, it's a Titan. I did locate a Titan Aero 7500 PDF on the Net. Looks exactly the same and the damper, the part I want to replace, appears identical (part# 4502000). Actually from reading in an old post I found, and looking at another PDF, mine is actually the discontinued 6000 model. The glaring difference is mine has pins and the 7500 has bolts (nuts visible in the above image).

bturner2
03-08-2012, 11:12 PM
That does't look stock. At least not anything I've seen before. All the actuators I've seen are painted. I'm sure I could be wrong but this looks to be added by someone.

deminimis
03-08-2012, 11:30 PM
That's a stocker, circa 2004. Others on here with the same setup. In fact, here's a shot from the 2004 owner's manual showing part of the MC-made swing hinge. Exact same as mine (just the wrong color).

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-m9BmiCRlzU8/T1mKKx_6H-I/AAAAAAAABf0/8HNilJxtn3s/s512/MC%2520Trailer.jpg

Sodar
03-09-2012, 09:40 AM
BruceMac recently upgraded his actuator from a Titan to Reliable. He ordered the part through MC and it was a direct bolt-on replacement.

Old Actuator (Titan)...

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/5973/dsc6742.jpg

New Actuator (Reliable)...

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/5379/img0235y.jpg

I can offer very little assistance on the calipers and rotors. I'd personally buy new hubs/rotors and the matching calipers from the same manufacturer, just so I did not have to mess with it. I guess it would just be a question of rotor diameter and thickness to find out of the Kodiak calipers would work with Reliable rotors.

deminimis
03-09-2012, 11:16 AM
Thanks Sodar. If I remember correctly, seems he changed his actuator because he bent it (if that's the old thread I remember reading). No plans on changing my actuator as it works just fine. Was looking to replace the damper for good measure. Got the whole actuator damper rod deal squared away. As far as sticking with Reliable. No freak'n way. Those crappy calipers have been a nightmare. I'm definitely switching them all out to Kodiak. However, as far as the rotors, I'm going to try and have them turned to save some $. Hopefully it won't take too much to take the warp out of them. If they are too far gone, then I'll be switching to Kodiak rotors as well. Thanks again!

Jerseydave
03-09-2012, 05:54 PM
Thanks Sodar. If I remember correctly, seems he changed his actuator because he bent it (if that's the old thread I remember reading). No plans on changing my actuator as it works just fine. Was looking to replace the damper for good measure. Got the whole actuator damper rod deal squared away. As far as sticking with Reliable. No freak'n way. Those crappy calipers have been a nightmare. I'm definitely switching them all out to Kodiak. However, as far as the rotors, I'm going to try and have them turned to save some $. Hopefully it won't take too much to take the warp out of them. If they are too far gone, then I'll be switching to Kodiak rotors as well. Thanks again!

I got my calipers and pads from Reliable directly (3-4 years ago)
The Kodiak calipers were a direct fit on my '05 X-star trailer
I have not replaced my rotors.
I also replaced my oil-bath plastic hub caps with aluminum ones that have a site glass.

deminimis
03-09-2012, 06:13 PM
Thanks Dave. Also heard back from Reliable and the Kodiak 225 caliper is a direct replacement. Based on bearings and measurements, the Kodiak 10" hub/rotor is the same size as the Reliable ones. Since I have the alumn press-in caps, instead of the screw-in ones that came later, all I would have to do is drill and tap the hubs for the inner oil bath insert. Turning rotors is $15 ea, so if I can get away with that, then that's the route I'll take. Best prices I've found so far for the parts is through Pacific Trailers (except they don't seem to have the damper, so it's likely e-trailer for that).

168255TC is the Reliable oil bath seal for these 10" rotors (for 14" wheels), if case anyone is wondering.

deminimis
06-25-2012, 03:29 PM
Just to follow up on this. Had the rotors turned for $15/ea. Installed new oil bath seals and the Kodiak calipers. Much better.