PDA

View Full Version : Squeaking Belt

Lake_Tippy_Skier
08-10-2005, 10:17 PM
My belt squeaks on cold start ups the last few times out for about 5 seconds. Is this a sign of a worn belt or loose pulley?

PointTaken
08-10-2005, 10:19 PM
More than likely a worn belt.

Lake_Tippy_Skier
08-10-2005, 10:24 PM
that's kinda what I figured, just wanted some reassurance

Workin' 4 Toys
08-10-2005, 11:28 PM
Could be a combination of both actually. I had an older boat in which had a squeeling belt and it turned out the alternator had a crack, so the tighter we tried to make the belt, the bigger the crack got. It was a weird situation, no idea how it cracked, but it did. Not that this is your case, but I would look for something maybe less obvious if it ends up not being one of the two.

Lake_Tippy_Skier
08-10-2005, 11:44 PM
Could be a combination of both actually. I had an older boat in which had a squeeling belt and it turned out the alternator had a crack, so the tighter we tried to make the belt, the bigger the crack got. It was a weird situation, no idea how it cracked, but it did. Not that this is your case, but I would look for something maybe less obvious if it ends up not being one of the two.

thanks for the info, I'll have to check into that

bigmac
08-11-2005, 08:35 AM
My belt squeaks on cold start ups the last few times out for about 5 seconds. Is this a sign of a worn belt or loose pulley?

My 2004 MariStar started squealing at startup as you describe. I kept driving it anyway - but when I took it in for its 20 hour checkup, it turned out that two of the bolts that secure the alternator and bracket had snapped. Not a rare problem from what I understand.

BradD
08-11-2005, 08:41 AM
My brothers 99 Maristar had the alternator fall off twice

jrhollow
08-11-2005, 09:09 AM
My 2004 MariStar started squealing at startup as you describe. I kept driving it anyway - but when I took it in for its 20 hour checkup, it turned out that two of the bolts that secure the alternator and bracket had snapped. Not a rare problem from what I understand.

I have an 2003 X-2 and my belt started squealing when I started it up, but stopped after I put it in drive. In the middle of our first run a high pitched alarm went off. Not knowing what it was (later to find out it is a over-heating alarm) I shut it down to take a look. Turns out the two bolts that hold the alternator bracket borke and the belt came off the pulleys. Needless to say that ended our day rather early. Since I shut it down right away no damage was done to the motor.

PointTaken
08-11-2005, 09:40 AM
Yikes. Aternator bolts snapping before the 20 hour checkup? Guess I will stick with the older models :-) I have had an '89, '91, '94 and have never seen that. That would s--k to have that happen on the lake.

bigmac
08-11-2005, 09:44 AM
Yikes. Aternator bolts snapping before the 20 hour checkup? Guess I will stick with the older models :-) I have had an '89, '91, '94 and have never seen that. That would s--k to have that happen on the lake.

The alternator issue was less inconvenient than when my fuel pump went belly-up with 2 hours on the boat.

:rolleyes:

PendO
08-11-2005, 09:46 AM
Tippy - So you have an 87 PS 190, sweet! On our (s)old 87 we usually replaced the belt at least once a summer, and kept a new one under the seat ... be thankful your engine is easy to work on. Just looked at the pics of your boat, grew up with the exact same color scheme but your seats look a lot nicer. GL

PointTaken
08-11-2005, 10:06 AM
The alternator issue was less inconvenient than when my fuel pump went belly-up with 2 hours on the boat.

:rolleyes:
Fuel pump at 2? I must be living right. Knock on wood.

Lake_Tippy_Skier
08-11-2005, 10:08 AM
Tippy - So you have an 87 PS 190, sweet! On our (s)old 87 we usually replaced the belt at least once a summer, and kept a new one under the seat ... be thankful your engine is easy to work on. Just looked at the pics of your boat, grew up with the exact same color scheme but your seats look a lot nicer. GL

Thanks, I just had the interior redone this past winter. This will probably be the last year for me with this boat though. With a little 2 year old, and more friends w/ little ones, we are looking to purchase a used X-7 this winter.