PDA

View Full Version : 1992 205-Broken Belt

BradD
08-10-2005, 10:53 PM
The belt broke tonight, fortunately I don't think i ran very long with it broken.
The person I purchased the boat gave me an extra belt since his experience told him that breaking belts was common.
The belt he gave me is much wider than the one that was on the engine.
My question is how do you get the new belt around the crank shaft pulley?
Also, is it common for belts to break?
Oh, and one last thing, any one know the part number for the belt on the 1992 351 Windsor Standard?

redmike
08-11-2005, 12:07 AM
as belt wear, they sometimes get thinner...that may be the case here. To get new belt on crank pulley, loosen alternator , rotate towards engine to give belt slack, put belt over crank pulley, tighten belt by prying a little on alternator while tightening bolts back up.
As forthe part #, it should be on the belt if the old belt didn't disintegrate. Your local auto parts store should have a match if you bring in the old belt!
Hope this helped! Good Luck

BradD
08-11-2005, 09:16 AM
I may be missing something here, but to get the belt over the crank pulley, it looks like i need to undo a lot of things. I didn't want to start taking too many things apart before checking with all of you, if i the bracket off that is holding the crank pulley, is alignment difficult when putting back together?

BradD
08-11-2005, 10:27 AM
I can see the part number on the broken belt and it is different from the one given to me by the previous boat owner. I'll call the MC dealer here in town.

Leroy
08-11-2005, 10:44 AM
That's too bad. Do you see a lot of pieces of belt on the floor or was it a clean break? You can also eyeball the pulleys to see if they are in line or place metal ruler across pulleys to see if any are out of line.

BradD
08-11-2005, 10:47 AM
Clean break.
How do I get the belt around the crank pulley?

Leroy
08-11-2005, 11:17 AM
Redmike answered below.

G-man
08-11-2005, 11:43 AM
If there is a bunch of rust on your pulleys replace them and your belts will last much longer. My belt was never replaced in 12 years but I had the chrome pulleys.

rspiecha
08-11-2005, 11:44 AM
I broke three belts the first season on my 94. The dealer had to shim the alternator to fix the problem. I average about 1 belt every two years. I keep two belts in glove box with a tool kit at all times. If I remember correctly, I had to remove a coolant hose and the bracket/bar to the fresh water pump on the front of the crank to get the new belt on. Of course you have to loosen the adjustment bolt on the alternator. Feed the belt onto the crank, water pump, and alternator pulley and re-attach the bracket and tighten everything.

Another way belts break frequently is rust/corrosion on either the water pump pulley or crank pulley. The older pulleys are steel that is chrome plated, the newer one are all aluminum.

SkySkiSpokane
08-11-2005, 01:53 PM
Surf,
Is it an LT1?? The belts and tensioning system is completely different on LT1s than it is on the factory TBI motor? The LT1 belt is much wider, not as long and is put on with a tensioner pulley not by adjusting the alternator. It takes two minutes and you only remove the brace that attaches to the water pump to put the belt around it. Without any further details you may have the wrong belt.
:twocents:

BradD
08-11-2005, 02:12 PM
I wish, nope just a standard 351.
I went to the dealer and picked up an Indmar belt.
The dealer described the same bracket as RS...I'll get it on tonight...i mean the belt.

AirJunky
08-11-2005, 02:27 PM
You will probably have to pull a couple of hoses off the impellor housing to get the belt on to the crank pulley.

Run your finger thru the pulley too & see how rough it is. Lightly sanding any rust spots out of the pulley will make the belts last longer.

I installed one belt, then got another one in position, reinstalled all the hoses & then tie-wrapped the 2nd belt around the hoses & out of the way. Now when the engine eats up another belt, all I have to do is loosen the alternator, cut the tie wrap & put the belt on the pulleys.

My 205 tends to eat a belt about every year or year & a 1/2.

Danimal
08-11-2005, 03:45 PM
I installed one belt, then got another one in position, reinstalled all the hoses & then tie-wrapped the 2nd belt around the hoses & out of the way. Now when the engine eats up another belt, all I have to do is loosen the alternator, cut the tie wrap & put the belt on the pulleys.

Now that is a great tip! Thanks AirJunky!

BradD
08-11-2005, 04:16 PM
That is frickin genious. I will do that.

krra1
08-11-2005, 04:17 PM
Isurf,
The first thing you need to do when replacing the belt is relax. This is my first summer with my 1990 MC and I replaced the belt without any problem. And I don't know anything about engines. As stated above you will need to loosen the alternator to get some slack.
Inorder to get the belt off you need to loosen the water pump. If your boat is like mine there is a bolt at the bottom of the water pump. Take that off and the bracket will come off that's holding the pump in place. I had to turn my water pump a little to get the belt around it. The belt may take a little effort to get around all three wheels. I used a screw driver to help. Once you have the belt in place tighten according to your owners mannual. 1/2 to 3/4 inch bend with your thumb is what my manual says, yours maybe different.
Good luck.

BradD
08-11-2005, 04:20 PM
I love this board. I told my neighbors that i'd have the answer by tonight, and you all came through with flying colors.

BradD
08-11-2005, 09:04 PM
Mission accomplished. Belt is on, boat ran great and no squeeks.