PDA

View Full Version : Saltwater and Mastercraft

Diver14
02-22-2012, 10:43 AM
Just curious on how the X series boats hold up in Saltwater. Not so much the salt water series components but the components that are standard on both like board racks and towers etc. Any feedback would be great.

rgardjr1
02-22-2012, 12:48 PM
Just curious on how the X series boats hold up in Saltwater. Not so much the salt water series components but the components that are standard on both like board racks and towers etc. Any feedback would be great.

My boat spent around the first 50 hours exclusively in salt water. It did take a cosmetic toll on the tower, tower speaker cans, tower lights and board racks. I'm not sure what the original owner's program was as far as washing/rinsing the boat off, but salt water will pit the parts mentioned if it sits on them long enough. The factory cans on my boat were anodized and the salt chewed right through the anodizing. I ended up selling the pair and replaced them with some wet sounds stuff. I'm not sure anybody else notices the small pit marks unless I point them out, but they are definitely there. I've tried a couple of different polishes and they did help out, but you can't eliminate the damage completely once it happens. The other problem was with the carpet & snaps. The backing on the carpet started falling apart and just about all of the carpet snaps rusted. I had a problem removing a few of the screwed in snaps because they started to disintegrate when I started to unscrew them.

Sodar
02-22-2012, 12:55 PM
To avoid pits on the aluminum and even slightly restore the finish, use Woody Wax. Works *****in'!

http://www.woody-wax.com/woody-wax-kit.php

rgardjr1
02-22-2012, 01:04 PM
To avoid pits on the aluminum and even slightly restore the finish, use Woody Wax. Works *****in'!

http://www.woody-wax.com/woody-wax-kit.php

I have that kit and I've spent a bunch of time polishing out the corrosion, it helped tremendously but it wasn't able to completely bring it back. My boat is no longer a salt water boat, but I do hit the tower with Woodys a couple of times a year. Again the issue is completely cosmetic and really isn't that noticeable.

Sodar
02-22-2012, 01:07 PM
I have that kit and I've spent a bunch of time polishing out the corrosion, it helped tremendously but it wasn't able to completely bring it back. My boat is no longer a salt water boat, but I do hit the tower with Woodys a couple of times a year. Again the issue is completely cosmetic and really isn't that noticeable.

Cool!

I am sure if the previous owner was diligent in maintaining the boat with Woody's, your tower would look new. The stuff really works well.

CantRepeat
02-22-2012, 01:11 PM
Heck, might just add that to my kit just for the tower.

mrm2083
02-22-2012, 03:31 PM
I've had my X2 on a lift in salt water for 6 years and the only issues (with the exception of risers and motor mounts) have been due to the sun, not the salt. The aluminum used in a Mastercraft is the same as any of the best saltwater center consoles and yachts out there. Properly maintained it will hold up perfectly. Other than the engines, everything on these boats is basically the same as what is used on all other salt water boats. BTW mine isn't even a salt water series.

02ProstarSammyD
02-22-2012, 03:42 PM
. I've tried a couple of different polishes and they did help out, but you can't eliminate the damage completely once it happens.
My tower and cans are aerials and the PO pretty much left the boat under a canopy for years. The tower and cans looked like crap. I tried white diamonds, hand polished for hours, etc. I picked up some mothers aluminum polish and hit the can with a high speed polisher. Took me 3 minutes to have them looking brand new. Not sure if you are trying it by hand but alil mechanical power does wonders

rgardjr1
02-22-2012, 04:39 PM
My tower and cans are aerials and the PO pretty much left the boat under a canopy for years. The tower and cans looked like crap. I tried white diamonds, hand polished for hours, etc. I picked up some mothers aluminum polish and hit the can with a high speed polisher. Took me 3 minutes to have them looking brand new. Not sure if you are trying it by hand but alil mechanical power does wonders

Polished aluminum can be a pain to maintain. I had some of the aerial cans for a while and even though I had covers for them they always started looking crappy after a while. I did polish them with mothers and they looked great when I sold them to the next guy. There was a clear anodizing on my Mastercraft cans which the salt water was able to get through down to the aluminum. There were small spots all over the speaker cans where the anodizing had been eaten away. From the other posts it sounds like a little preventive maintenance with the right products will go along way in keeping the billet looking like it should.

obsessed
02-23-2012, 05:55 AM
My 08 x2 is saltwater series, the tower is very clean after 1400 hours of use from the previous owner.
The racks had some damage when I got the boat, and when I tried to fix them, all the allen key screws had completely seized. Very tough to get them open. Also I cant fold the tower down as the screws have seized.
Everything else not including the engine is in pretty good shape.

Im wondering, how do you wash down your boat? Do you every take a hose to the interior of the boat and spray down the seats and deck?
I usually just spray down the deck and wipe the seats with a wet towel. And have sprayed the tower when its been very dusty.

mrm2083
02-23-2012, 12:42 PM
After every use I hose the whole boat down, then hose it with salt away, and then once again with water. Every few months I wax and deep clean the vinyl and 303 it. About once per year I spray Boeshield T9 all over the engine, the seat hydraulics, and the wire ends. I also woody wax the tower. My tower screws are probably seized because I've never had to lower it but other than that the tower looks great.

TxsRiverRat
02-23-2012, 12:54 PM
If you dont have a galvanized trailer or your trailer isn't a c-channel trailer, you better hose the trailer down GOOD... Mastercraft trailers S-U-C-K!!!! I can't stress that enough...

Salt water will ruin your trailer from the INSIDE OUT and you won't have any ide how bad it is until the tongue snaps like a pencil in the ramp and your stranded!!!!

And don't ask me how I know!

http://vipstylecars.com/forums/images/smilies/smiley-rofl.gifhttp://vipstylecars.com/forums/images/smilies/smiley-rofl.gifhttp://vipstylecars.com/forums/images/smilies/smiley-rofl.gif

rgardjr1
02-23-2012, 05:32 PM
Also I cant fold the tower down as the screws have seized.

I had the same problem the first time I had to fold down my tower. The black knob spun off leaving the stud still in the mounting bracket for the tower foot. I was able to back it out eventually using a couple of nuts and a large crescent wrench. I was a little worried about breaking the stud off, but it eventually came out. When it came time to put to tower back up I made sure to get generous with the anti-seize and used some red loctite on the knob. I have to break down my tower every fall for storage and I haven't had any issues since. I remember seeing a thread where somebody was drilling and pinning the studs into the knobs to keep them from coming off. With my tower as long as I can loosen the knob some I can fold my tower down. I haven't tried to take my board racks apart, but I would suspect I'd run into the same problem as you :(

SkiDog
02-24-2012, 07:52 AM
There's also a product called 'PB Blaster' that will help loosen siezed nuts and bolts.

CantRepeat
02-24-2012, 08:00 AM
There's also a product called 'PB Blaster' that will help loosen seized nuts and bolts.

Yup, that is great stuff for rusted/seized stuff.

CantRepeat
02-24-2012, 08:01 AM
If you dont have a galvanized trailer or your trailer isn't a c-channel trailer, you better hose the trailer down GOOD... Mastercraft trailers S-U-C-K!!!! I can't stress that enough...

Salt water will ruin your trailer from the INSIDE OUT and you won't have any ide how bad it is until the tongue snaps like a pencil in the ramp and your stranded!!!!

And don't ask me how I know!

http://vipstylecars.com/forums/images/smilies/smiley-rofl.gifhttp://vipstylecars.com/forums/images/smilies/smiley-rofl.gifhttp://vipstylecars.com/forums/images/smilies/smiley-rofl.gif

I've seen where some trailer manufactures will put an air stem on the trailer so you can air up the trailer before launching in salt water. The idea is the pressurized trailer will keep the water out. I've only seen this on very expensive trailers.

mrm2083
02-24-2012, 09:37 AM
I've seen where some trailer manufactures will put an air stem on the trailer so you can air up the trailer before launching in salt water. The idea is the pressurized trailer will keep the water out. I've only seen this on very expensive trailers.

The trailer solution is simple. Just buy an aluminum or galvanized trailer. I bought my boat without a trailer an then bought an aluminum dual axel for 1500 bucks.

Bouyhead
02-24-2012, 09:50 AM

Anything on your tower that has a pin, folds, pivots, swivels, or has threads take it apart and apply a small amount of never seize or an appropriate lube. Rinsing alone will not keep that stuff alive over the long haul. I run in salt water 100% and besides all the obvious maintenance associated w/ salt water one big priority is a dry bilge.

BriEOD
02-24-2012, 11:03 AM
Yes, ditto on the trailer. I live on brackish water. I ended up buying a galvanized MC trailer and have had no issue. With the old trailer, I was spending 10-15 means flushing the trailer after every use...

TxsRiverRat
02-24-2012, 11:25 AM
There's also a product called 'PB Blaster' that will help loosen siezed nuts and bolts.

I hate when my nuts get seized up.... :D

TxsRiverRat
02-24-2012, 11:27 AM
Yes, ditto on the trailer. I live on brackish water. I ended up buying a galvanized MC trailer and have had no issue. With the old trailer, I was spending 10-15 means flushing the trailer after every use...

The galvanized trailer jacks the price up by a grand... But I guess it beats a snapped trailer tongue on the boat ramp! Mastercraft and Malibu here in town quoted my GF just under $3000 for a C-channel trailer.

SkiDog
02-24-2012, 01:51 PM
The galvanized trailer jacks the price up by a grand... But I guess it beats a snapped trailer tongue on the boat ramp! Mastercraft and Malibu here in town quoted my GF just under $3000 for a C-channel trailer.

We want pics darnit!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D

CantRepeat
02-24-2012, 02:14 PM
The trailer solution is simple. Just buy an aluminum or galvanized trailer. I bought my boat without a trailer an then bought an aluminum dual axel for 1500 bucks.

I assume that is used and it was a dual axle. ;)

tommyadrian5
02-24-2012, 07:31 PM
I've used my 99 sportstar in brackish water for 10 years. Have a galvanized trailer that is perfect (can't say the same for the brakes (dead) or jack). I flush the boat with fresh water for 5-10 minutes every time i use it, wipe down the entire enterior with a fresh water soaked towel, and spray off the hull and running gear while the boat is flushing. Haven't had a problem related to salt in the entire time i've owned the boat.

BriEOD
02-24-2012, 11:38 PM

You get what you pay for.

I bought an X-1 SS galvanized trailer from Jim@BAWS for my 205. He took my trailer as a trade-in. It was virtually a brand new trailer with LED lights, oil bath hubs, 15" wheels, etc. I was spending 10-15 minutes, and countless gallons of water, flushing my steel MC trailer after each use. It was still in good shape. But, I was pushing the proverbial boulder up the hill and was eventually going to lose the battle. The money on the galvanized trailer was well worth it. Plus, I'm not phobic about it rusting out. My neighborhood is right on the river. Our neighborhood ramp is a 1/16 of a mile from my driveway. During the season, my trailer was getting dunked 8-10 times a week.