PDA

View Full Version : 6.0 Vdrive owners...

BamaCraft
02-21-2012, 11:24 PM
Test drove a new 2011 X-55 today. awesome boat but i was surprised to hear some engine or transmission noise. Kind of a whine or something similiar to that. didnt notice vibration etc.. ran smooth considering the white caps today. This is the first X series we drove. Is this normal for a V drive or the new 6.0s? thanks.

Jim@BAWS
02-22-2012, 09:29 AM
In an X55 I would consider a 6.2 or the new 7.4. 6.0 will push it not as good as the 6.2

In the 6.0 you are hearing the air rush in via the intake

Jim

BamaCraft
02-22-2012, 10:42 AM
Could it be the transmission or the prop? This sounded more like a power steering whining if u know what I mean I seemd to notice inder a load like when taking off. Hard for me to tell about the power. After driving our 205 everything may feel to be under powered.

willyt
02-22-2012, 10:46 AM
Never driven a 55 but I can't imagine the 6.0 would be enough power to push that monster around. At least look at the 6.2... That engine is amazing.

Mattscraft's boat had a little whine like what I think your trying to describe, he said it had done it from day 1 but never seemed to impact anything. You really had to be listening for it to hear it anyway. I believe we might have checked the tranny oil level and found it to be the slightest bit low, filled it up to near perfect level and I think that quieted it down (this might be the transmission only, as he has the MCX)

MattsCraft
02-23-2012, 12:30 PM
Never driven a 55 but I can't imagine the 6.0 would be enough power to push that monster around. At least look at the 6.2... That engine is amazing.

Mattscraft's boat had a little whine like what I think your trying to describe, he said it had done it from day 1 but never seemed to impact anything. You really had to be listening for it to hear it anyway. I believe we might have checked the tranny oil level and found it to be the slightest bit low, filled it up to near perfect level and I think that quieted it down (this might be the transmission only, as he has the MCX)

I believe the trannys are the same, not sure, but yes my ZF Hurth does have what I would call a high pitch whine/singing at low RPM and has always done this. I believe this is why MC went to motor oil in the tranny vs. tranny fluid to minimize the low RPM whine. I have had 15W40 in the tranny from day one, from the factory. The whine goes away as soon as you increase throttle speed from 1000 RPM up. Also, you certainly hear the air gush from the intake when you nail the throttle. I believe what you are hearing is normal, however if you are hearing a clatter, especially in reverse, I believe this is a bad damper plate. I am no expert here, but from what I have read whine is normal, clatter is not. Make sense?

DeeeJay02
02-23-2012, 08:52 PM
I believe the trannys are the same, not sure, but yes my ZF Hurth does have what I would call a high pitch whine/singing at low RPM and has always done this. I believe this is why MC went to motor oil in the tranny vs. tranny fluid to minimize the low RPM whine. I have had 15W40 in the tranny from day one, from the factory. The whine goes away as soon as you increase throttle speed from 1000 RPM up. Also, you certainly hear the air gush from the intake when you nail the throttle. I believe what you are hearing is normal, however if you are hearing a clatter, especially in reverse, I believe this is a bad damper plate. I am no expert here, but from what I have read whine is normal, clatter is not. Make sense?

The first day out on my new X25 6.0 I noticed this wyne in the tranny in forward and the chatter while in reverse. I brought it back to the dealer and they changed the tranny fluid from ATF to motor oil (10w30 or 15w40) not 100 percent sure. Also that they noticed the new models coming in without insulation under the rear center seat access plate. I didn't put any insulation under the plate but I did change the oil and it quieted it down.....no wyne and no chatter anymore.