PDA

View Full Version : Hitting a Roller at Top Speed (Jet Ski Accident)

Tri4X2
02-21-2012, 05:44 PM
This is the aftermath of coming around an island at top speed only to hit a roller from a boat on your jetski and get thrown off.... unfortantly this is a friend of mine, doesn't own a boat, and lucky he didn't take his head off.

Jerseydave
02-21-2012, 05:51 PM
ouch! Hope he gets better soon.

Did he come down on the ski head first and that caused his injury?
If so, I bet a helmet would have helped.
Personally I think helmets on those jet skis is a great idea if you're going really fast.

Tri4X2
02-21-2012, 05:54 PM
I'm with you on Helmets... kinda weird looking but in hindsite it would have helped him. I've worked Trauma and Critical Care for years and these usually don't end well. He caught the shield has he flew over the bars is the only thing I can imagine. Funny thing is he just bought these about a month or so ago.

It always upsets me when they get close to my boat or my rider. Personally I think they go way to fast to begin with. Speed kills, but stupidity trumps all!!!

CantRepeat
02-21-2012, 06:11 PM
Was intentionally trying to jump the wake of a boat?

Tri4X2
02-21-2012, 07:46 PM
Nope... just bad judgement.

medicmoose
02-21-2012, 08:57 PM
Unfortunately so many people lose all good judgement when on the water. Going top speed on some of those machines means 60+ miles/hour on a surface that is unpredictable.

Tri4X2
02-22-2012, 10:03 AM
He said the last thing he saw was 70... to be completly honest with you I didn't think they went that fast.. but I guess anything is possible

willyt
02-22-2012, 10:39 AM
Haha in my brief jet ski driving history I took a barge wake at about 17-20 mph, got about 7 ft of air, nose pointed straight back into the water. Jet ski submarined but I stayed on, I reamerged to find my sunglasses were at the bottom of the Ohio.

Can't imagine taking one of those suckers at full speed.

rjracin240
02-22-2012, 11:47 AM
Haha in my brief jet ski driving history I took a barge wake at about 17-20 mph, got about 7 ft of air, nose pointed straight back into the water. Jet ski submarined but I stayed on, I reamerged to find my sunglasses were at the bottom of the Ohio.

Just saying...sounds like you were very lucky not to have joined your glasses!

Glad you made it out OK

Tri4X2
02-22-2012, 03:52 PM
I hate when I hit hard on a wake board!!!! Couldn't imagine having a machine going along for the ride.... A Barge wake on the Ohio... what was that sucker 3 feet?

dog paw
02-22-2012, 04:26 PM
I'm with you on Helmets... kinda weird looking but in hindsite it would have helped him. I've worked Trauma and Critical Care for years and these usually don't end well. He caught the shield has he flew over the bars is the only thing I can imagine. Funny thing is he just bought these about a month or so ago.

It always upsets me when they get close to my boat or my rider. Personally I think they go way to fast to begin with. Speed kills, but stupidity trumps all!!!

Helmets are great for closed course racing where speeds dont get up that high and contact with another ski is a certain. But hitting the water at high speed with one stands a good chance of doing more harm than good. When the water catches the bottom (or any edge) it can pluck your head off like a grape on a vine. Most Rec PWC riders dont know what 70 mph really is on a ski but I can assure you a 50 mph dismount will cure most of the go fast for a long time :)

dog paw
02-22-2012, 04:33 PM

Boy aint that the truth! I hit the Mount Washington's wake on Lake Winnipesaukee "once" People prolly could hear the Oh *&^% across the broads on shore. Its really deceiving...

Tri4X2
02-22-2012, 04:55 PM
I hope it cures him... Funny to see HANS devices on Motorcross and even at the XGames this year and last.

mikeg205
02-22-2012, 06:55 PM
This is the aftermath of coming around an island at top speed only to hit a roller from a boat on your jetski and get thrown off.... unfortantly this is a friend of mine, doesn't own a boat, and lucky he didn't take his head off.

ooo that'll leave a mark....

the thing that get's me on this is "coming around and island at top speed?" huh?

Intentional jump at 70? as another post mentions?

Hope he's ok... and he'll be a bit wiser on jetski...

Covi
02-22-2012, 09:11 PM
Im not sure if the moto xer's are using HANS but more neck brace / neck protection. I would categorize the Hans as the same type of protection however, your head is not tethered.

I hope it cures him... Funny to see HANS devices on Motorcross and even at the XGames this year and last.