PDA

View Full Version : 2001 205v

fireskills
02-21-2012, 05:33 PM
Hey guys, just purchased my first Mastercraft. It is a 205V with only 220 hours. I was wondering if anybody else out there has this same boat. It has the LTR 350 Indmar. Just looking for some more insite about the boat, tips, suggestions, or just their experience with the boat. Thanks for you time and help!:) New to this website, I hope I poste this in the correct location!

Double D
02-21-2012, 05:39 PM
Hey guys, just purchased my first Mastercraft. It is a 205V with only 220 hours. I was wondering if anybody else out there has this same boat. It has the LTR 350 Indmar. Just looking for some more insite about the boat, tips, suggestions, or just their experience with the boat. Thanks for you time and help!:) New to this website, I hope I poste this in the correct location!

Welcome aboard and congrats! However.....

mwg
02-21-2012, 05:40 PM

I picked up the exact same boat last year... We live it

fireskills
03-06-2012, 01:36 PM
What engine do you have?

fireskills
03-06-2012, 01:38 PM
The picture is my profile pic, just in case you couldnt figure that out!=)

Jeff d
03-06-2012, 09:20 PM
There were a few recalls and TSBs for that generation but yours might be late enough that they don't apply. My 230 VRS w/ LTR was an '00 and all of these applied and had not been taken care of by the previous 2 owners. Mine also had low hours like yours when I bought it in mid 2010. For the 10 years before I bought it, it received very little use but also very little maintenance.

On the early LTRs there was an alternator bracket issue where they were snapping off. The solution was a supplemental bracket that went from a water pump bolt to the upper rear of the alternator. To check for this make sure that your alternator is supported on both the front and rear. Search for "LTR alternator bracket", or something similar to find pics of what it should look like. The recall has expired but you can still buy the supplemental bracket for like $25 from your mastercraft dealer.

Also on the early LTRs was an incorrect water pump pulley. It was offset by about 1/8 inch from the plane of the rest of the pulleys. This caused the belt to "walk" either off of the water pump pulley or off of the crank pulley by about 1/8" relative to where it should sit. This caused the belts to wear prematurely and come off completely. This recall has also expired and MC/Indmar have also discontinued the correct pulley. Fortunately there's an inexpensive pulley available on Amazon that fits perfectly. Like the original Indmar replacement it's also smaller in diameter than the bad pulley so you have to figure out a suitable, smaller circumference belt. The Indmar corrective kit came with a belt originally. If you end up needing the pulley let me know and I can look up the part number. I may have posted it in another thread though.

The LTR has a really pathetic 51 amp alternator too. So, if you want to add any mentionable amount of aftermarket electronics (e.g. Amplifiers, tower lighting, etc.) be sure to budget for a larger capacity alternator or a beefed up rebuild. Mine actually failed so I took the opportunity to go to a 105 amp.

Many of the MC trailers from around that time had mono leaf springs. They were failing with enough frequency that there was an NTSB recall on them. I believe recall is still in effect. So, if you have monoleaves, you should be able to get your mastercraft dealer to replace them for free. I had mono leaves and, although they didn't break, they were sagging badly to the point where the tires were hitting the upper inside of the fenders of every bump. The conventional multi leaf packs lifted it about 3" and eliminated the rubbing.

That's about all I can think of right now.

Jeff d
03-06-2012, 09:31 PM
Oh, also you likely have the Hurth V-Drive that's known for making a bit of rattling noise when going slowly. It's likely full of Dextron ATF and has a sticker on it indicating that but MC/Indmar released a TSB that you should be able to find posted several places on here recomending that the V-Drive be filled with 15w40 motor oil to quiet it down. Later model years came with 15w40 as the factory fill. Mine needed a change anyway so I made the switch to 15w40 prior to even using my boat. So, I'm not sure if mine ever made the noises but I definitely don't hear anything with the motor oil in there.