PDA

View Full Version : Installed new tower speakers from Exile on my mini tower

gts-20
02-20-2012, 12:46 PM
I finally pulled the trigger on some tower speakers. I was blown away by the sound quality! Big thanks to Brian and Rob from Exile! Great customer service!

Ever since we bought our '08 PS214 new in 2010, I have wanted to replace the tower speakers that the dealer sold off the tower before we picked it up (long story). I liked the look of the factory JL cans, but didn't want to invest $2000+ in just a pair of speakers.

I wanted a can/speaker that would mount to our mini tower's factory mounts. I looked into the Wetsounds, JL's, krypt, and many more. A buddy of mine with a Moomba recommended that I look at Exile's SXT65Q's. I did some research and really liked what I found. We didn't need to wake the dead at 80-100ft. I just wanted clean, full sound, at a decent db level behind the boat for swimming or rafting up with friends. These speakers fit the bill perfectly. They mount to the factory MC mounts with a very well made Exile adaptor. Brian and Rob @ Exile listened to what I wanted, and worked with me to get the right speakers and stay with in a budget that I could afford. I can't say enough about how the customer service Exile has. I bugged these guys for a week, sending emails and messages on their website. They never failed to answer a single question.

I ended up ordering a pair of SXT65Q's. These cans spin 360 degrees and have a quick release to drop them off the tower for storage. Our mini tower hangs pretty low, so we wanted to be able to remove them quickly if we needed more room on the boat. We could only mount one pair so that you could still walk through on the port side under the tower. I was concerned about only having two speakers, but these things sound amazing! I installed them with an Exile amp that was recommended. I went with an Exile 400.4 4 channel amp bridged. Brian said that it wasn't the optimum amp for these speakers, but would work and stay with in my budget. They sound great with this amp. I can't believe that these could sound much better with more power.

Let me know what you think. I know the 2 speakers mounted in the center look strange to you guys with full towers, but its the way MC mounts them on 197's/214's with mini towers. Sorry for the poor pic quality from my Iphone.

p.s. when the dealer sold the factory JL cans/speakers from the boat, he left the JL M2250 amp that was running them. I have it out if anyone is in need of it.

Jerseydave
02-20-2012, 01:20 PM
They look nice! Love the look of the mini tower on those prostars! :D

gts-20
02-20-2012, 01:40 PM
They look nice! Love the look of the mini tower on those prostars! :D

Thank you sir.

Ya we love the mini tower. It only hurts for a little while after you hit you head on it.lol

gts-20
02-20-2012, 02:01 PM
Hmmm, I am assuming I posted this in the wrong section? Sorry for that. Thanks for moving it I guess?......

holdenh2o
02-20-2012, 02:43 PM
Glad you posted. Going to hang speakers on my mini soon. I'd love to see more minis with speakers hanging. If the WS rev 410 fits, I'm leaning that way.

gts-20
02-20-2012, 04:43 PM
Why was my thread moved from "General Discusion; General discussion of MasterCraft boats and anything that relates to them", where there are 21000+ threads of all types, to an obscure sub catagory of "Maintenance Tips and Refurbishing Topics;Find out how to keep your MasterCraft looking and running like new", where there are only 96 threads and had very little traffic compared to the general area? Did I post something that offended someone?

Sodar
02-20-2012, 04:50 PM
Looks like it was moved into Audio/Stereo. Move makes sense to me?!?!?

BrooksfamX2
02-20-2012, 04:56 PM
Nice!..........

CantRepeat
02-20-2012, 05:15 PM
Why was my thread moved from "General Discusion; General discussion of MasterCraft boats and anything that relates to them", where there are 21000+ threads of all types, to an obscure sub catagory of "Maintenance Tips and Refurbishing Topics;Find out how to keep your MasterCraft looking and running like new", where there are only 96 threads and had very little traffic compared to the general area? Did I post something that offended someone?

The General Discussion forum was never meant for or intended to be used as a catch-all. The forums are pushed to MCs Facebook page via RSS feeds now. As such, post deal with installation, maintenance, upgrades or how tos will be moved from the General MC to category specific areas, which is what the mods were instructed to do.

Great looking install btw, I'm up in the air about adding a second set of XM7s to my 06.

gts-20
02-20-2012, 05:25 PM
Looks like it was moved into Audio/Stereo. Move makes sense to me?!?!? Oops, my bad. Sorry, I didn't notice the "Audio". I just saw the Maintenance part.

gts-20
02-20-2012, 05:33 PM
The General Discussion forum was never meant for or intended to be used as a catch-all. The forums are pushed to MCs Facebook page via RSS feeds now. As such, post deal with installation, maintenance, upgrades or how tos will be moved from the General MC to category specific areas, which is what the mods were instructed to do.

Great looking install btw, I'm up in the air about adding a second set of XM7s to my 06.

Thanks, ya I didn't see the "Audio" part when I asked the question. Sorry about that...

Brian @ Exile was saying that the SXT65's and the XM7's sound good when paired together. I think they call it a "hybrid" setup, and recomended to power it with the Harpoon amp.

brianinpdx
02-20-2012, 07:17 PM
Gts - glad your happy with the outcome. I suspected you would, but hey, one never knows until its done and installed. I like the look of that mini tower. I see you got the buoy balls all blown up and ready for action too. A few weeks back there was a lot of talk on Teamtalk about buoys. You'll have to give some first hand knowledge of how they work.

re: Mixing HLCD's and direct radiating speakers. Generally not a good idea because the horn will dominate the tweeters on the other speakers. Exile does configure a hybrid setup that is a six can setup. 2 pair SXT and 1 Pair XM7. When installed in this fashion, the near field SXT tweeters mask the horn up close and yet still allow it to acoustically project out at distance. Its best to bi amp that setup but can be done with one harpoon depending where you are in the country.

Cheers! And welcome to the family.

-Brian
Exile Audio

gts-20
02-21-2012, 05:48 PM
Gts - glad your happy with the outcome. I suspected you would, but hey, one never knows until its done and installed. I like the look of that mini tower. I see you got the buoy balls all blown up and ready for action too. A few weeks back there was a lot of talk on Teamtalk about buoys. You'll have to give some first hand knowledge of how they work.

re: Mixing HLCD's and direct radiating speakers. Generally not a good idea because the horn will dominate the tweeters on the other speakers. Exile does configure a hybrid setup that is a six can setup. 2 pair SXT and 1 Pair XM7. When installed in this fashion, the near field SXT tweeters mask the horn up close and yet still allow it to acoustically project out at distance. Its best to bi amp that setup but can be done with one harpoon depending where you are in the country.

Cheers! And welcome to the family.

-Brian
Exile Audio

I had 3 people stop and ask where I got the buoys balls while they were sitting out on the platform. lol.

Brian, Thanks again for all your help. You guys run a 1st class operation there.

Lakeside09
02-22-2012, 04:18 PM
GTS,
First off... you have an outstanding boat there! One of my favorite DD boats for sure! Really glad so see someone else from MC going with Exile. IMO they really are the best... period. You will love the SXT speakers... they are really the best coax speaker I have ever seen. They look really great on your boat as well!
Over the winter I did a speaker upgrade on my X1. I went with four XM9's and the Harpoon amp. Unbelievable. You are exactly right about Rob and Brian... they did more than help me with my set up. I will be an a big time supporter for them for a long time. I have also seen first hand on their customer service. They can not be beat. The bouy balls are pretty much the best bouy invention ever... plus they look awesome! I will be posting my Exile set up pretty soon...

Props to Exile Audio! - Got Tunes? :D

SPG01
02-24-2012, 12:20 PM
I think I just found a deal on these and wanted to know what they are going for? Sounds like everyone is impressed with these speakers and I have never even heard of them.

gts-20
02-24-2012, 01:36 PM
I think I just found a deal on these and wanted to know what they are going for? Sounds like everyone is impressed with these speakers and I have never even heard of them.

P M sent..

gts-20
03-19-2012, 12:12 PM
I finally got a chance to add some pics of the amp install.