PDA

View Full Version : New Ski

ProStar190Fan
02-19-2012, 11:57 PM
Well I think itís time I got myself a new ski for the upcoming season. I'll be turning 20 just before the season starts and I figure this will be more of a permanent ski as I see myself keeping it for longer than any other I have owned (probably because itís going to fit me for a much longer time). I have owned Connelly skis and HO's before but I will admit I am a total novice to this.

I have started investigating prices and reviews on Overtons. I would consider my ability to be towards the professional end of recreational. Pointers, tips, help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

mikeg205
02-20-2012, 12:02 AM
Will you be free riding or making time for turning buoys? Envious of your ability... :D

mikeg205
02-20-2012, 12:04 AM
Presque Isle, WI makes you a packer fan eh! how can you say Chicago in your location... :)

ProStar190Fan
02-20-2012, 12:12 AM
Will you be free riding or making time for turning buoys? Envious of your ability... :D

Mostly if not all free riding, my ability just sounds cooler when you say it that way.

Presque Isle, WI makes you a packer fan eh! how can you say Chicago in your location... :)

I need to change the Chicago location to say Grand Forks ND. Been up here for two years now for college, trust me its cold.

mikeg205
02-20-2012, 12:28 AM
If I had the ability I would make the leap to a ho syndicate...if you're going to turn buoys...I am a big Ho Fan...pricey but great ski...check www.waterskis.com or www.ski-it-again.com...

for my the level and goals my end ski will be http://hosports.com/WATER-SKIS/Men-s/Coefficient-X

Right now I ride a HO Comp free ride... it's not as response as I want it to be, but I went from beginner to intermediate last season...will be making adjustments on the ski this year to max out its positional. My goal is some kick as free ride slalom, the Coefficient is more than I will ever need. A number of skis in the Syndicate Class... go somewhere where you can try it, D3 and others in that class. I don't have the time or course to get to a Syndicate level...but I can get to more action than a HO Comp Free Ride which was a crap load of fun in 2011. I run double booted for easier deep water starts...just seems better for me. If budget is an issue - Coefficient in my opinion and a better binding.

Just my .02...

If your down in Chicago and have time - let me know... we can get out on the Illnois river and put get some time on the water.

mikeg205
02-20-2012, 12:43 AM
Before you make any tests make sure physically ready...strong crore, developed ham strings, upper body, shoulders and fore arms. Get a dyna flex ball to juice up your grip chops. http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&tok=dznBPQ99Dy7rMb0_towkkw&cp=9&gs_id=w&xhr=t&q=dynaflex+powerball&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&ion=1&biw=1366&bih=643&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=3324033472581083101&sa=X&ei=oM1BT_OeDonqgQeHysCjCA&sqi=2&ved=0CGAQ8gIwAg

great gadget to build grip and forearm... at 52 I need to keep all in great working order which includes strength and flexibility... get a bicycle to keep the legs used to pushing down...I ride 125 to 157 miles a week on a trainer...dropped 10 lbs and want to drop 10 more to 175. Less weight less stress on muscles. Goal this year 175 which means under weight for my Ho Free Ride... I may make some mods to the ski before end of season just for snick...ie. lots of surface are at the tail of ski and not enough adjustment for fin location...

We'll see I waited way too long to get back into the sport.

Don't know your goals but you may want to get a ski school involved like pine lake ski school in michigan...http://pinelakeskischool.com/home.html great bunch of people and lot's of knowledge...

mike

D3skier
02-20-2012, 02:05 AM
IMHO don't limit yourself to just these two brands. Though HO I hear is a very solid ski and hear rave reviews about them I've never ridden one. I too started out on a Connelly, Carbon Course to be exact when I first started skiing seriously and eventually went to 3 different models of the F1 then found D3 skis. Been on 3 of these as well from the X5, Nomad and now the Z7. Haven't ridden it in two years now since I broke my shoulder fall of 2010 and sold the boat. (yea yea I know stupid me) trying to save up some cash now so I can just pay cash for a boat in the next few years. Anyhow back to your dilemma for a new ski. If you have somewhere to test skis I would look at several brands from HO, Radar and D3. I love my D3 because it is very stable on the off side turns and doesn't get a lot of "chop" if you don't hit your turn just right. Been wanting to test a new Radar Strada too but haven't had the chance to get to Trophy Lakes to ride it just yet. Hopefully this summer. A lot to consider is do you plan on attempting the course? and how aggressive of a skier are you. when I first started skiing I was on a mid line ski and found that I "outgrew" it very fast and it couldn't keep me on the water. Just wouldn't hold an edge. This is when I upgraded to the Connelly Carbon Course then was introduced to Helena Kjellander at Skyview Lake and I've been hooked on the course ever since. Or should I say all down hill after this? ha ha

gotta_ski
02-20-2012, 06:39 AM
Call Wiley's in Seattle. They've always made me a deal no one else could touch.

sk8salomon
02-20-2012, 06:57 AM
IMHO don't limit yourself to just these two brands. . I love my D3 because it is very stable on the off side turns and doesn't get a lot of "chop" if you don't hit your turn just right.

x2

what is your budget? there are places that will offer demo programs so you can test out skis before you buy. if you go the used route, you can get more for your $

LaRue
02-20-2012, 11:17 AM
i would categorize myself in the category you defined although i wouldn't use the word 'professional' for myself. . i went with the Radar Theory last year and enjoy the ski very much! You could also consider the Radar Strada.

Kyle
02-20-2012, 01:08 PM
I would demo a ski before buying one.

I can not get a connelly or a goode to turn.
I don't really like the d3.
Radar is ok

I'm an HO guy. I have owned and skied on the
HO psr
CDX
Phantom
Phantom carbon
3 monzas
And 2 HO syndicates.

I ski in a course only and can run -38 sometimes. PB is 4@-39.5

I would buy a ski that is a higher end ski and learn to ski on it. The fin adjustments can only do so much but can do a lot too. I just don't like the way any other brands ski besides HO and yes I try different brands before upgrading every few years.

Get some good bindings and don't be afraid to drop a grand. Also you could buy one online or ski it again. I know lots of people who buy a new ski and use it 6 times and it's for sale bc they found another one that the liked better. Also you can look for a factory blemish ski and it will be just fine and half price. My 2012 syndicate had lent in the mold and you can see a piece of fuzz on the bottom of it. It is a factory blem ski and I ski just fine on it.

A better ski will hold your turn better and your professional recreation ability may improve to a roockie of the year award at a ski club that has a course.

So demo and find a stick that you like and then buy it. Don't just look at the brand or graphics of the ski. If I found a ski that I could run my -39 on and it was pink and purple, well I would be riding that... Just sayin

jamisonsbrodie
02-20-2012, 01:13 PM
Short answer.......Radar Senate. Best bang for the buck for the advanced intermediate.

190 Skier
02-20-2012, 03:52 PM
I saw a lot of nudges from the HO crowd, so let me chime in on the Connelly band wagon. I have skied the Prophecy the past two seasons and it is awesome. I think different manufactures skis are tuned to a style of skiing. I have tried HO's and could never get them to turn for me. That being said a number of my skiing buddies have Syndicates and are incredible skiers on them, since they suit their style. So the advice to demo and few and get one that feels comfortable is the best you have gotten so far.

ProStar190Fan
02-20-2012, 03:52 PM
First, thanks for all of the responses. I think the overall take-away is to demo lots of ski's, now I need to figure out where I can. I ski mostly in northcentral wisonsin so it shouldn't be too hard. Someone asked about budget and the very top end would be around $500, not sure I can justify any more while in college.

If your down in Chicago and have time - let me know... we can get out on the Illnois river and put get some time on the water.

Would love to if I was ever in chicago for more than 48 hours at a time.

As always its amazing how much information comes from this board, I think my next steps from here are waiting for it to warm up and finding demo areas with what was suggested, and reading about each ski online.

Again thanks for all of the replies.

Kyle
02-20-2012, 06:38 PM
Dont forget to look at used skis. Demo one and look for a used ski that is higher end but cheaper than a brand new middle of the line. I also have direct contacts at HO sports if you want a blem. A blem syndicate was +-$600 brand new factory blem. That has a small cosmetic blemish nothing to effect the skiability. A factory perfect syndicate is $1200 for a blank.

A blem ski is not chipped up or broken by any means. I had to look extremely hard to find my blemish. By the time I used it 3 times I had a few scratches on it anyway. Let me know

jamisonsbrodie
02-21-2012, 11:09 AM
Dont forget to look at used skis. Demo one and look for a used ski that is higher end but cheaper than a brand new middle of the line. I also have direct contacts at HO sports if you want a blem. A blem syndicate was +-$600 brand new factory blem. That has a small cosmetic blemish nothing to effect the skiability. A factory perfect syndicate is $1200 for a blank.

A blem ski is not chipped up or broken by any means. I had to look extremely hard to find my blemish. By the time I used it 3 times I had a few scratches on it anyway. Let me know

Kyle,

When you get a new blem, does it come with flex #'s? I ask because when I first skied the A1, I loved it. But then the one I bought was terrible, and I wish I had known the flex #'s of the one I skied first and found the same flex.

D3skier
02-21-2012, 12:23 PM
Kyle,

When you get a new blem, does it come with flex #'s? I ask because when I first skied the A1, I loved it. But then the one I bought was terrible, and I wish I had known the flex #'s of the one I skied first and found the same flex.

this is also a very good point. You can find a ski that you run really well on and go buy another one of same model and it just won't work for you because it's a totally different flex.

Kyle
02-21-2012, 02:00 PM
It had stickers on the bottom that I have put somewhere. (I'll look for them).

I have never looked at flex numbers myself but know what you are talking about. I had an A1 that I loved and bought used. I demoed it one time and ran -35 out of the box and was instantly like yup you are staying with me.

I have also owned a 2011 A2 and a 2012 A2 and have always been into -38 on them. I have never got hung up on stiffness. Yes I can feel differences but I always seem to learn to ski on them.

I am not luckey enough to ski on a fully private lake and wind and wakes from public boaters are always issues. I figure that is more to worry about than flex numbers, so I shut up and ski the best I can with the conditions that I have been delt.

Now I do have friends who are flex number this and fin adjust ment that. Soot I ski with guys who adjust their equipment every set and it drives me crazy. Look a ski can only do so much and the skier has to be capable of doing the rest. I'm not the type of guy to blame equipment for an excuse to make me feel better. Don't get me wrong I do make adjustments but it's rare. That being said the OP would need to have 100 demos to try every make, model, and flex. That being said he could just demo skis every time out and never buy one.

Not trying to be rude in any way to anyone, but course skiing is night and day different than being a professional recreational skier. Trust me I used to be one until I saw the light. That being said find a ski that fits the needs of your style of skiing. Who cares the brand as long as it feels good.

If the OP is on a low end ski now, then that ski never had flex numbers to begin with. Also if $500 is the cap then finding the perfect flex will be hard to get acomplished too. Going off of the restrictions of having college funds and not in the position to drop big$$$ then flex is not where I would be worried about. Personally I would look on ski it again or eBay and find a used ski that is a year or 2 old that is in good condition and will be a better ski for you for longer. There is no way someone can convince me that with $500 cap that you can not have a very nice rig. I sold my 2010 A1 for $250 last year. The guy purchasing was also offered a pair of animal approach bindings for $100 more, but he already had bindings. Just saying. That $350 set up would be better than any new Brand ski with new bindings on the market that capped out at $500.

jamisonsbrodie
02-21-2012, 02:22 PM
Kyle,

I should have qualified my question to save you the lengthy response. I was asking for my own situation as a course only skier. For recreational skiers open water skiers, flex differences within a certain model aren't important and will not be noticed. I was just curious if flex #'s were included because I would try a blem in the future if they were due to the considerable cost savings.

I 100% agree on buying used. I have bought 2 A1's, and 2 RS1's from Ski-It-Again and saved a ton over new.