PDA

View Full Version : Paint over the Gel...

jakethebt
02-19-2012, 05:50 PM
So I am looking at a few used MCs. I have found one that is pretty nice. Almost everything checks out except one. A while back, the color was faded and had a few spots in the gel. So instead of buffing and wet sanding, the owner had it painted. Just the stripe. The other projects that have been completed seem really nice. It is not like the boat has been owned by a goof ball. So the question is... how hard is it to get the paint off and get the gel back to life?

Any good shops that work in gel in south west Ohio that I can talk to?

Is it possible to get the old paint off myself and wet sand and buff? I think that there will still be a few gel spots that need some attention.

Right now, the paint looks good, but I dont want to live with it long term.

mikeg205
02-19-2012, 06:00 PM
How about some pictures?

jakethebt
02-19-2012, 07:03 PM
Here is a shot of the paint that has been scratched. You can also see where the paint is just a bit larger than the blue under the gel.

mikeg205
02-19-2012, 08:43 PM
that's a lousy scar... over my head...but there are experts here.

toobusylivin
02-19-2012, 10:13 PM
I'm not a fan of paint if the gelcoat can be restored, but in this case, I'd sand it down and repaint. The gelcoat was probably sanded with a course grit for adhesion, then likely primed. Might be more work than it's worth to try and save it.

mikeg205
02-19-2012, 10:36 PM
There's always the option to reg gel... but it will never be smooth like the factory. ...I re-gel'd a scratch...good but not like new... need more practice... :D

jakethebt
02-20-2012, 08:56 AM
Good point about sanding the gel prior to paint. They may have rendered the gel unserviceable after that.

Jerseydave
02-20-2012, 12:17 PM
What about taking your boat to a graphics installer that does car/truck/boat wraps?

I'm sure they could use a vinyl wrap product just on that blue section, any color/texture that you want. (1000's of choices)

Cheaper than new paint or wet sanding the old paint down to the gel and hoping for the best.

mikeg205
02-20-2012, 12:25 PM
What about taking your boat to a graphics installer that does car/truck/boat wraps?

I'm sure they could use a vinyl wrap product just on that blue section, any color/texture that you want. (1000's of choices)

Cheaper than new paint or wet sanding the old paint down to the gel and hoping for the best.

Great idea...!!! +1

Jeff d
02-20-2012, 12:26 PM
The previous owner did the same thing on the black stripe of my Maristar. I sanded it down and buffed the scratches out. They all disappeared. Even some that looked like they had to be through the gel.

EDIT: Oh mine was just touched up, not completely painted like yours.

jakethebt
02-20-2012, 02:09 PM
Thanks for the help. So if there are not too many options to get the old paint off and restore the gel, I dont think i want to touch it. It is a shame too, it looks like a really nice boat other than that...

kyfooter
02-20-2012, 06:02 PM
Jake, take your boat to Haynes Fiberglass repair in Milford. They do great, great work. Just a guess, but I suspect they will recommend sanding through all that is there and putting on new gel. Fear not though...they will match it and it will blend in such that 99% of people would never spot it.

Jeff Lyman
02-20-2012, 09:07 PM
I've repaired many over the past 35 years! First it appears the paint is chiping on the edges of the scratch. That is a sign of poor adhesion to the gel coat under neath. I would try to scrape the paint off with a plastic razor blade first or metal blade second. If it comes off easy get rid of all of it. The take it to either a boat repair shop or a auto body shop that has some boat experience. Have them DA the paint off the stripe. The gel is probably shot underneath so refinish with a Polyurathane paint such as Duponts Imron 6000 or better. Believe me these finishes are like ROCK!!! Just a very little softer than the origonal gel. Dont waste your time-money and agrevation regeling not worth it. Have extra paint mixed for touch up later. We painted my wifes porcelin sink black with a commercail grade epoxy prime under Imron. No scratches chips, nothing from pots and pans hitting it to hot oil poured over it... nothing. Paint it !

MIskier
02-20-2012, 11:00 PM
Jeff is correct that a quality regel is possible, but imron will produce great results if the person doing the work is experienced. Here is an example of what a painted boat can look like...

All of these boats come out of the mold with white gel and are then painted to the customers custom specification.

jakethebt
02-21-2012, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the help. I talked to Haynes, they were more than helpful. Kind of hard to get an idea of the work with out them seeing it or trying a few things to see what is going to work... I think I am going to have to pass on this one...

americanskierJim
03-01-2012, 11:15 AM
Jakethebt, Hello I see you'r in need of some help with you'r boat. I have sent you a PM with my number. I can help you out and guide you. I am in the prosess of redoing a 24 foot searay with this same problem. AMSJim