PDA

View Full Version : Tow with a Jeep?

440brew
02-19-2012, 02:54 PM
Anyone know the weight of a 89 prostar 190. I read somewhere they are 2200 lbs! does this include the trailer?

Also anyone tow their prostar with a 3.8 liter v6 jeep?

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
02-19-2012, 03:18 PM
2200 lbs is the boat only and dry off fuel, the trailer is probably another 1000 lbs. don't know which jeep you have but a wrangler has only 1000 lbs tow capacity and cherokees are around 3500 lbs your pushing the limits imo.

jhall0711
02-19-2012, 03:46 PM
Older Cherokee's with 4.0L rated to 5K.... Obviously you didnt specify year and model... Must be newer as you say it is 3.8L... I have seen some people tow with Wranglers, but the wheel base makes it a very bad idea IMHO... Meanwhile, my Cherokee actually does rather well with my 89 PS and I used to tow a much heavier Supra with it.

440brew
02-19-2012, 04:56 PM
yes, I was looking at a newer jeep that is four door so long wheel base than the standard wrangler.

they are a 3.6 rated a 285 hp.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
02-19-2012, 05:24 PM
yes, I was looking at a newer jeep that is four door so long wheel base than the standard wrangler.

they are a 3.6 rated a 285 hp.

2012 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited allows you to conquer any terrain, but it also has a healthy 3,500-pound towing capacity, when properly equipped. I still think you'll be at the upper limits of safety...

http://www.jeep.com/en/2012/wrangler_unlimited/capability/towing/

mikeg205
02-19-2012, 05:31 PM
Friend tows a '97 205 with a 2011 wrangler... but he only goes about a mile... it was really creepy when the first time when the boat pulled the wrangler 6 inches down the boat ramp... IT was like OMG we are going to have one of those stupid you tube scenario's. Needless to say, we still do it, albeit gingerly, 4 wheel drive and no motoring up to the boat buddy.

Me personally, 2002 E150 conversion van - 2 wheel drive, never have a problem - always keep a bag of sand in case of algae on the ramp.

My '95 is 3300+ lbs on the trailer... with surge brakes and my van with HD towing package, I still feel it. I am rated at 11K for both Vehicle and tow... and I am just under... Drive like a granny, take no chances.

Going over capacity is not cheap and is illegal. If you choose to go under rated please sell MC and get a brand x boat.

Gravy
02-19-2012, 07:15 PM
any Grand Cherokee model will tow it fine.

sleeporbutter
02-19-2012, 09:18 PM
Ask this guy his opinion, http://youtu.be/pKyDmIsQSow
The video has real potential for disaster, but all's well that ends well I guess...

Sullivan
02-19-2012, 09:25 PM
No problem! That new Wrangler four door will do great.

oldairboater
02-19-2012, 10:44 PM
It isn't the towing that I have the problem with. It is the stopping. I have had jeeps pushed around by the boats when things go south. I would not tow my boat with my jeep. I use a F250 for my towing needs and if I need to routinely tow something bigger than what I have. I will get a bigger truck. Yes, you can get away with it since most trailers have brakes and the towing capacity is high enough. Lose brakes on the trailer or encounter bad road conditions and things can get interesting. Who knows you may never have a problem.

bturner2
02-20-2012, 08:46 AM
The new Jeep will be marginal at best as with almost all the new SUVs. The lack of a full frame, large brakes and cooling systems for engine/trans will make them marginal at best. Don't forget the ratings are for the boat, gear and include what's in the vehicle too. If you plan to go on vacation that tow rating will be eaten up quickly by the kids, dog, gear and beer that you take with you. Plan on traveling though the mountains? Get ready for an "E" ticket Disney ride. Count on strained drive line, cooling systems and premature brake failure (as in warped rotors, glazed pads and ware). Sorry for all the doom and gloom but these new crossover vehicles are just not made for towing and are tuned more to get better gas mileage which means smaller, lighter parts.

I tried doing the crossover thing for years before finally buying an older F150 and keeping it to just pull the boat. Best thing I've done form a safety and stress reducer. Pick up trucks seem to really hold their value up here and I figure when I'm done with it I'll be able to get much of my investment back. If not the reduced stress and safety will be worth it to me anyway.

Kyle
02-20-2012, 09:12 AM
I let a friend tow my 190 to the lake. We disconnected the bow strap, boat buddy and winch. Started down a 75' steep ramp and the jeep was yanked into the lake by the boat. I started the boat half way down the ramp and when the boat hit the water I was in forward trying to stop the jeep. Vehicles don't steer well when the tires are locked up so my friend had to just ease on/off brakes while just keeping the trailer straight. The jeep had a 6" lift with oversize tires v6 and it was totally out of control. Now the jeep has no problem pulling the boat up the ramp but can not stop going down.

Let's say we only used the jeep to pull my boat 1 time only. Let's say the boat ripped the jeep down this ramp until the tailgate was in the water.

The only damage that happened was water seeped into the trailer master cylinder so I had to flush the trailer brake system.

I will NEVER use a jeep wrangler to tow a boat EVER again.

DemolitionMan
02-20-2012, 09:28 AM
I use to tow my 78 MC with a 2000 cherokee, it had no problems pulling it.

Stefan
02-20-2012, 12:45 PM
cherokees are around 3500 lbs your pushing the limits imo.

seriously? in Europe they have a towing capacity of around 3300kg (about double of that in the U.S.) don't your trailers have brakes? (mandatory in Europe over 750kg/1500lbs)

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
02-20-2012, 01:20 PM
seriously? in Europe they have a towing capacity of around 3300kg (about double of that in the U.S.) don't your trailers have brakes? (mandatory in Europe over 750kg/1500lbs)

Just depends on which model, the 2012 grand cherokee can go to 7400 lbs max capacity...

ahhudgins
02-20-2012, 02:27 PM
I towed an 87 Prostar with a 95 Cherokee (4.0L) a few times, and it was less than 30 miles. Having always towed with an F150, it took some getting used too. The trailer didn't have brakes and it would push the Jeep pretty hard through a turn. I traveled on back roads and never got above 45 MPH. I'm glad I have my F150 for my Maristar.

X-1Texas
02-20-2012, 03:17 PM
I tow my '07 X1 with my 2WD 2000 Grand Cherokee (V-8) with no problems at all. We towed the boat to Lake Quachita with it (~300 miles) and it did great. Most of time I'm just towing the 1/4 mile from my house to the boat ramp and back.

kskonn
02-20-2012, 03:26 PM
Yea the Grand Cherokee has a lot more towing capability than the Jeep wrangler- not the same vehicly by any stretch.

bturner2
02-20-2012, 04:13 PM
I think what everybody needs to keep in mind is the model of the Jeep in question and the motor. These Jeeps are not rated to tow and are just not set up to do so.

I towed a SeaRay SRV 190 with my CJ5. Did it do it? Sure Was it near dangerous? Sure. The boat would push that boat all over the road and stopping even with the trailer brakes was marginal at best not because the trailer wasn't helping with the stopping but because the Jeep was being pushed all over the road and was unable to guide the boat properly. I never had to do any emergency stops but if I had it would not have been pretty.

If you're only pulling a couple miles on local roads and backing down shallow ramps you'll probably be fine. If you start getting adventuresome you may find out too late the limitations of your rig.

02ProstarSammyD
02-20-2012, 04:53 PM
My brother has a decent sized supra and tows it with a wrangler from the top of his yard to the bottom. When the lake dried up he towed it down the street to the nearest ramp but he said it was a nightmare even for a few miles. Granted this is a 4 banger and an old yj but I wouldn't advise towing a boat with a wrangler. Cherokees just depend. I wouldn't tow a larger boat with them. The grands you are pretty safe with esp with a 4.7 or 5.9. Like was said above its not really the go thats bad......its the stopping and safety in doing so.

lettmeknow
02-20-2012, 05:19 PM
In my early 20's I used to tow my boat with a 4.0L Jeep Cherokee, it was not ideal. On long road trips it would always over heat. Turning the heater on was the only way to make it to the lake and back at a reasonable temp. One time at a steep ramp, my boat pulled me all the way down the ramp. Once it hit the water we stopped and luckily nothing happened other than a good scare. From then on out I would back down the ramp in Drive, so I could slow the backing down. Of course this wasn’t ideal, but it’s all I had to work with. Upgraded to an Expedition as soon as the $$ allowed me too! Unless its an older prostar 190, I wouldnt do it! I had a open bow Brendella.

jhall0711
02-20-2012, 05:38 PM
In my early 20's I used to tow my boat with a 4.0L Jeep Cherokee, it was not ideal. On long road trips it would always over heat. Turning the heater on was the only way to make it to the lake and back at a reasonable temp. One time at a steep ramp, my boat pulled me all the way down the ramp. Once it hit the water we stopped and luckily nothing happened other than a good scare. From then on out I would back down the ramp in Drive, so I could slow the backing down. Of course this wasn’t ideal, but it’s all I had to work with. Upgraded to an Expedition as soon as the $$ allowed me too! Unless its an older prostar 190, I wouldnt do it! I had a open bow Brendella.

Yea... I have one of the older lighter PS's and its not bad... My Supra was a 454 big block and I used to tow it several hours with my 95 Cherokee 4.0l. I was never pulled down a ramp, but the trailer brakes didnt work and I just made peace that if something unforseen happened in front of me I wasnt going to be able to stop. Oh and overheating... I wired my auxillery fan to a switch so I could make it run non stop... helped a lot, but on hills still have to use the heater trick. Oh how I cant wait to have a nice tow vehicle...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

It is much better with my 89 PS single axel and WORKING trailer brakes

jhall0711
02-20-2012, 05:39 PM
I still am in my early 20's... seems there is a small lack of ideal/intellegence going around at this time:D

Sullivan
02-20-2012, 09:21 PM
Totally disagree with these guys that say its not safe to tow with a Jeep Unlimited. Lets keep the vehicle in question as the focus. Not a POS Cherokee from 1994. This is not a unibody, its a body on frame and is stronger than any Cherokee. The wheel base is not a short wheel base like a CJ or TJ. It has 4 wheel disc brakes and plenty of power.

There is no reason at all that the new Jeep Wrangler Unlimted won't tow that PS190 great.

Ski-A-Rees
02-21-2012, 02:21 AM
I pulled my 89 PS 190 for a long time with my 95 Jeep Cherokee. It not the pulling you need to worry about. It's the stopping. Putting the boat in once with a steep wet ramp, the weight of the boat pulled the jeep like a sled all the way to the Bottem in 4x4. Several other times in town, someone would pull out in front of me and I would lock up the brakes and pray I wasn't going to hit them. It also over heated all the time. I would drive with the heat on and the windows down in the summer in florida. It was a blast! I pull with a F-250 now. Just my two cents.

xbot50000
02-21-2012, 12:56 PM
The Jeep Unlimited 4 doors will be fine to tow a PS 190. We have used a Jeep Unlimited Rubicon to tow our X-9. We were never in danger during emergency stops, and it certainly didn't push it around the road. We now tow with an F150 or 250. These tow limits are set by the car companies to avoid lawsuits, not because it's pushing the upper limits of what your car / truck / jeep can safely tow.

02ProstarSammyD
02-21-2012, 02:31 PM
^I've had 6 wranglers, 3 grand cherokees, and 1 xj. I can't imagine towing my 209 with any of those except the 5.9 and 4.7 grands. Maybe I'll have to take a peek at the rubi 4dr but man that just seems like alot of weight to me.

setidball
02-21-2012, 02:48 PM
I pull my 1995 PS190 with my 1998 5.2L Grand Cherokee regularly … locally, on the freeway, and over mountain passes. However, the trailer has brakes. I do not think I would be so comfortable if the trailer did not have brakes. IMO my GC does not have adequate braking power on its own.

TRBenj
02-21-2012, 03:17 PM
Totally disagree with these guys that say its not safe to tow with a Jeep Unlimited. Lets keep the vehicle in question as the focus. Not a POS Cherokee from 1994. This is not a unibody, its a body on frame and is stronger than any Cherokee. The wheel base is not a short wheel base like a CJ or TJ. It has 4 wheel disc brakes and plenty of power.

There is no reason at all that the new Jeep Wrangler Unlimted won't tow that PS190 great.
Seriously?

There are plenty of people here (and elsewhere) who think that nothing short of a Super Duty with a diesel is fit for towing their 19' ski boat- and I certainly dont fall into that camp. My family has never had anything larger than mid-size SUV's, and New England has some of the hilliest terrain Ive experienced. So Im not in the "overkill is just barely enough" camp.

Still, have you looked at the specs on the Wrangler Unlimited? This is what Jeep's website ays:

"Wrangler Unlimited can tow a healthy 3,500 pounds, when properly equipped with the Trailer Tow Group."

Assuming the 2200 lb boat and 1000 lb trailer are pretty close to accurate, youre within 500 lbs of the tow capacity right off the bat. That doesnt count gear or fluids. Can it be done? Most certainly. Is it a good way to go? That depends... will the towing distances be short and infrequent? Or is the plan to go several hundred miles every weekend?

At best, the Unlimited is an acceptable tow vehicle. It certainly isnt a great one.

Check the specs on the "POS" Cherokee you mention. Its a more capable tow vehicle than the Unlimited is!

Kyle
02-21-2012, 03:17 PM
My gf had a hummer 3 and my 190 was too heavy for it to be safe. Her HOE LTZ works fine and we do occasionally tow with it. I prefer my f150 king ranch over all of our vehicles. The H3 never attempted a boat ramp either. I knew from towing from my storage back home that it was not a good idea.

When my boat pulled the jeep down the ramp like a sled as mentioned above, the marina was extremely busy. It was a horrible situation. Never again

Sullivan
02-21-2012, 10:33 PM
Seriously?

There are plenty of people here (and elsewhere) who think that nothing short of a Super Duty with a diesel is fit for towing their 19' ski boat- and I certainly dont fall into that camp. My family has never had anything larger than mid-size SUV's, and New England has some of the hilliest terrain Ive experienced. So Im not in the "overkill is just barely enough" camp.

Still, have you looked at the specs on the Wrangler Unlimited? This is what Jeep's website ays:

"Wrangler Unlimited can tow a healthy 3,500 pounds, when properly equipped with the Trailer Tow Group."

Assuming the 2200 lb boat and 1000 lb trailer are pretty close to accurate, youre within 500 lbs of the tow capacity right off the bat. That doesnt count gear or fluids. Can it be done? Most certainly. Is it a good way to go? That depends... will the towing distances be short and infrequent? Or is the plan to go several hundred miles every weekend?

At best, the Unlimited is an acceptable tow vehicle. It certainly isnt a great one.

Check the specs on the "POS" Cherokee you mention. Its a more capable tow vehicle than the Unlimited is!

I did and the towing capacity of the old Cherokee with the 4.0 is 2000 lbs. ;)http://www.xjjeeps.com/pdf/2000_specifications.pdf

I used to tow my Ski Supreme with a 1986 Toyota 4Runner and a 1994 Toyota short bed standard cab pickup. Both were 4 wheel drive and had the 22RE 4cyl. and both towed that boat great with NO trailer brakes. Sure I had to leave extra room but I never once had a problem stopping on a ramp and I drove like I should with a trailer in tow. I towed that boat all over the place never once did I feel like it was too much for the truck.

TRBenj
02-22-2012, 12:10 PM
I did and the towing capacity of the old Cherokee with the 4.0 is 2000 lbs. ;)http://www.xjjeeps.com/pdf/2000_specifications.pdf.
Better check your reading comprehension- when properly equipped, it will tow 5,000 lbs.

Both vehicles in question have a tow capacity of 2,000 lbs when not equipped to tow... but Im not sure what the relevance of that is.

Kyle
02-23-2012, 09:41 AM
Better check your reading comprehension

Do you just get on this site to be Mr. Super Pr!ck with you derogatory back handed comments???

Seriously almost every post you post up, you find a way to chime in with some kind of rude comment towards someone or their smarts. I just don't get it. This place has started going down hill for a long time because it is not that enjoyable anymore. We sure don't need someone who doesn't even own a MC on here trying to make this site less desirable to go to. Especially when folks are trying to get away from daily BS drama or they are coming here to actually learn something. I can not grasp the need to be intentionally rude and be a "Know It All".

Seriously are you going to get into a "My D!ck Is Bigger Contest" over towing weight of a jeep and making some kind of back handed comment about someone's reading comprehension??? I mean seriously. Do you just have to be a Jack @ss all of the time???

TRBenj
02-23-2012, 10:07 AM
Yikes, thin skin alert!

TxsRiverRat
02-23-2012, 10:10 AM
Do you just get on this site to be Mr. Super Pr!ck with you derogatory back handed comments???

Seriously almost every post you post up, you find a way to chime in with some kind of rude comment towards someone or their smarts. I just don't get it. This place has started going down hill for a long time because it is not that enjoyable anymore. We sure don't need someone who doesn't even own a MC on here trying to make this site less desirable to go to. Especially when folks are trying to get away from daily BS drama or they are coming here to actually learn something. I can not grasp the need to be intentionally rude and be a "Know It All".

Seriously are you going to get into a "My D!ck Is Bigger Contest" over towing weight of a jeep and making some kind of back handed comment about someone's reading comprehension??? I mean seriously. Do you just have to be a Jack @ss all of the time???

Your rants crack me up!

http://vipstylecars.com/forums/images/smilies/smiley-rofl.gif http://vipstylecars.com/forums/images/smilies/smiley-rofl.gif http://vipstylecars.com/forums/images/smilies/smiley-rofl.gif http://vipstylecars.com/forums/images/smilies/smiley-rofl.gif

Phntmski
02-23-2012, 10:26 AM
[QUOTE=TRBenj;817818]Better check your reading comprehension

yikes - thick head alert

TRBenj
02-23-2012, 10:33 AM
Perhaps I could have prefaced it with a smiley face for that warm and fuzzy feeling, but to post misleading information from your own link seems worthy of my "harsh" comment.;)

Kyle
02-23-2012, 10:42 AM
Yikes, thin skin alert!

That is exactly my point..... Another Smart @ss unnecessary comment....

I definitely wouldn't call it thin skin. I would call it sick and tired of the back handed comments that you make and how you talk down on people. I mean enough is enough. Go log into the Nautique site and back hand everyone over there and when someone makes a mistake or has a question then talk down on them over there because we don't need it here. Seriously your attitude is like you think that you are superior to everyone and you talk down on people like they are stupid.

I also know 100% that there are several others who are on TT who don't appreciate your rudness or what you call humor either.

TxsRiverRat
02-23-2012, 10:47 AM
I'm ready to hit the lake and start skiing!

GT500 MC
02-23-2012, 10:52 AM
cant we all just get along? :)

Haven't seen you post in awhile....welcome back.

TxsRiverRat
02-23-2012, 10:53 AM
Thank you sir!

Been so busy with work, running the ski club, hunting and the GF, i havent been around much!

March and the new season is right around the corner!!

MC

Sullivan
02-23-2012, 02:53 PM
The way I look at it, if you wouldn't say it to my face you shouldn't say it on the internet. I doubt he would say it to my face.

He caught me, I over looked that and no it has nothing to do with my reading comprehension. I had two little boys pulling on my arm that wanted to wrestle at the time.

Still, I hold to my belief the Jeep Unlimited will tow that 3K boat and trailer combo just fine. No worries. I'm done here, and I am going to go hit the slalom course.

Cheers.

TRBenj
02-23-2012, 03:30 PM
Ha, you bet Id say it to your face- nothing wrong with a friendly debate between ski sets or over a beer!:toast:

Towing within a few hundred lbs of capacity is doable if youre careful- but I wouldnt choose such a marginal set up if I were shopping for a tow vehicle, personally. Especially if I planned to tow frequently and/or for larger trips. In that case, a Classic Cherokee is the more capable vehicle. If thats bad advice, then you can string me up!

Im still not sure what all the ranting and raving is about.:confused::confused:

willyt
02-23-2012, 03:37 PM
Seriously are you going to get into a "My D!ck Is Bigger Contest"

Not that I have anything to add to this thread other than humor, but I thought you should all know my shlong is bigger.

;)

The real question is, if you were towing with a jeep - there some special jeep towing wave?

DemolitionMan
02-23-2012, 07:17 PM
Jeep or S10 blazer

Thrall
02-24-2012, 02:24 AM
All BS aside ^, you're in northern CO. A 3.8 Jeep is going to be pretty gutless. Towed a similar weight trailer with my buddys 4dr Wrangler 3.8 from Eagle County up to the Roan Plateau. Downhill to Rifle was easy from Rifle up to Pieance Creek, it was huffing a bit.
2 place enclosed sled trailer, with 2 loaded up 4 wheelers and hunting/camping gear. Probably around 3000lbs and higher profile than a boat.
Not usafe, but not fast.
If it's all you got to tow with it will work, but I'd prefer a V8 in the mountains.
I can't see an old 190 dragging a newer Jeep backwards down the ramp unless it is a very slick ramp. I've launched my 190 with my CJ 5 and it didn't get drug into the lake.

BrooksfamX2
02-24-2012, 09:12 AM
The real question is, if you were towing with a jeep - there some special jeep towing wave?

As the owner of a Jeep TJ, I think thats funny right there...........BTW, I would not tow my X2 with this.

Skipper
02-26-2012, 08:42 PM
Jeeps are cute....Barbie drives one.

gid
03-01-2012, 10:42 AM
I towed my SS from Fla to TN in a Saturn Vue, growing up my family used a 1978 4 cyl Mustang to tow the Winner Ski boat (family of 5 in the Mustang too) My current vehicle is a 2003 Subaru Baja - not a problem.

yeahmooney
03-01-2012, 02:29 PM
It's not if the engine can pull the boat, its if the brakes can stop it. I have a 2006 Jeep Commander with the V8 and upgraded tow package. (Heavy duty alternator.) It pulls my 2004 Prostar 197 just fine but I've warped the front brake rotors twice even with working trailer brakes. For what it's worth, I also have 2010 Wrangler Unlimited and I wouldn't think of trying to tow with that.

bturner2
03-01-2012, 06:30 PM
Yep, I changed the rotors on my CJ5 every fall and put two clutches/preassure plates in the same Jeep in 4 years. It's not that it couldn't do it, it just really wasn't designed to do it and doing nearly killed it and me.

Honkity Hank
03-05-2012, 03:54 PM
I have a 93 Wrangler 4.0L and a Prostar 205. I bought the boat in Memphis and towed it back to Georgia with it. Was it great, no not really, but it frankly was not bad. The short wheel base and relative low power are the drawbacks, but even though it is clearly over the recommended towing capacity it did fine. I would not want to do this without trailer brakes though. I use the Jeep to launch the boat and in contrast to Kyle's experience I have not ever come even close to being dragged down the ramp by the boat. Perhaps our ramp is not as steep as some but it is a fairly typical boat ramp. In 4WD low it will pull the boat out at idle. My Jeep Wrangler is about 3,000 lbs. Your experience may vary.

02ProstarSammyD
03-05-2012, 04:12 PM
It's not if the engine can pull the boat, its if the brakes can stop it. I have a 2006 Jeep Commander with the V8 and upgraded tow package. (Heavy duty alternator.) It pulls my 2004 Prostar 197 just fine but I've warped the front brake rotors twice even with working trailer brakes. For what it's worth, I also have 2010 Wrangler Unlimited and I wouldn't think of trying to tow with that.

exactly! If I was towing a mile I would probably do it but anything over that and you are just murdering the brakes on a jeep. Theres a reason everyone tows with bigger vehicles