PDA

View Full Version : Boat Buckle attachment

bailey78
02-17-2012, 05:43 PM
How are you all attaching the boat buckle on the rear of the trailer?? Add says one bolt install ???? Don't believe that one. Thanks. Any pics of install would help.

Jeff d
02-17-2012, 05:56 PM
I cut some pieces of 1" angle iron, bolted them to the beam of the trailer pointing down and then bolted the boat buckle to those.

They say one bolt install because if you already have tabs on your trailer for transom strap hooks they bolt right into those existing tabs. Most of the MC trailers I've seen have no provisions for transom straps so it will take more than one bolt.

I can take pictures later tonight.

CantRepeat
02-17-2012, 06:07 PM
I cut some 3/8 SS and welded up some angled tabs for it. My trailer has the bolt tabs on it but that would have mounted the buckles sideways.

bailey78
02-17-2012, 06:47 PM
I have a MC trailer, with no tie down points in the back, Is one bolt really enough after you guys have bolted them on? How does it not rotate side to side? or up and down?

mikeg205
02-17-2012, 07:06 PM
Installed on trailer with no tie downs... they down turn plus used thread lock...

Jerseydave
02-17-2012, 07:33 PM
Installed on trailer with no tie downs... they down turn plus used thread lock...

Where's the best place to buy those?
Also, where are your exhaust flaps? 2 open holes can't be good

CantRepeat
02-17-2012, 07:37 PM
You didn't show how they are mounted to the trailer.

Cabrella's has them. Keep in mind they come as a set.

mikeg205
02-17-2012, 07:43 PM
Where's the best place to buy those?
Also, where are your exhaust flaps? 2 open holes can't be good

I got mine at Bass Pro - had a gift card. The boat flaps were part of project 2 for the day. Its a 95 so the flaps had taken a real curved set. I took them off and used a heat gun to put them back in shape and re-installed.

Cloaked
02-17-2012, 09:52 PM
How are you all attaching the boat buckle on the rear of the trailer?? Add says one bolt install ???? Don't believe that one. Thanks. Any pics of install would help.
One bolt for each. 5/16" dia x 4" long with two flat washers and a locking washer for each. Drill straight through the 3" tube. The pair of two comes with short 2" grade 8 bolts but there was no tab on my trailer. Hardware store had the longer bolts for about $8 total for the two as described. I put the boat buclkes on just last week. Works fine and is a good sturdy product. I found a set for $69 plus shipping on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/BoatBuckle-Retractable-Transom-Tie-Down-43-Inch/dp/B000KORVJY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329533631&sr=8-1

Lumbergh
02-17-2012, 10:22 PM
One of my next projects.

No transom tie down provisions on my trailer, so wrap it up with installing these.

emnesto
02-17-2012, 11:24 PM
I'm interested, but want to make sure the $69 Amazon price is for a set of 2. I don't see that anywhere on the web page.

Cloaked
02-17-2012, 11:37 PM
I'm interested, but want to make sure the $69 Amazon price is for a set of 2. I don't see that anywhere on the web page.
It is. Look at the specs G2. And besides, I said so from last week. I just bought these phOOkers.... :D Same thing... got two of them....

EricB
02-18-2012, 12:36 AM
So if you don't strap the back of the boat down with these straps, what will happen? I have not had an issue trailering my boat(s) without them, and they don't come from the factory w/straps. So the question is why?
Is it a peace of mind thing? I mean, the boat really can't go any place if secured properly in front, and the rear trailer guide-ons will keep it from shifting too far as to cause damage, so forgive me but I'm just not getting the rear strap deal.....

russlars
02-18-2012, 02:06 AM
So if you don't strap the back of the boat down with these straps, what will happen? I have not had an issue trailering my boat(s) without them, and they don't come from the factory w/straps. So the question is why?
Is it a peace of mind thing? I mean, the boat really can't go any place if secured properly in front, and the rear trailer guide-ons will keep it from shifting too far as to cause damage, so forgive me but I'm just not getting the rear strap deal.....
Read all about it here...http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=21538

Cloaked
02-18-2012, 07:31 AM
Is it a peace of mind thing? I mean, the boat really can't go any place if secured properly in front, and the rear trailer guide-ons will keep it from shifting too far as to cause damage, so forgive me but I'm just not getting the rear strap deal.....Spoon ==> Here's the real strap deal.... http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=816450&postcount=5

In this case, you are wrong and stand a false sense of security thinking a boat will stay on a trailer just because it can sit there... Each to their own...

The link is my first-hand experience ...

Jeff d
02-18-2012, 09:26 AM
Here's how I did mine. Sorry, I took the pics at night and the trailer is backed against the wall so the perspective isn't great. My boat (Maristar 230) has the D rings set pretty wide relative to mgorczak1's. If I had mounted my Boat Buckles the way he did then they would have had to angle out pretty far for the hooks to reach the D rings.

The last picture is a closeup of the little angle iron brackets that I made. The camera is below the beam of the trailer looking to the rear. To install them I pulled out the plastic end cap on the trailer beam, drilled a hole vertically through the bottom of the beam and bolted through it. Then I put the cap back on and bolted the Boat Buddy to the bracket.

Jeff d
02-18-2012, 09:43 AM
Oh, and don't make the mistake I did the second time out with the Boat Buckles. The first time it was fresh on my mind so I unhooked them before launching. The second time it took about 5 minutes to figure out why the boat wouldn't back off of the trailer. Ha!

Sodar
02-18-2012, 09:59 AM
When I did them on my 190, I just popped out the brake lights, drilled a hole for the single bolt and installed with a big fender washer behind. You could also do what Sporty said and drill all the way through the frame, the method I used gave me no problems and showed no signs of fatigue.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-DYpY8q_0TsQ/Rgac8P27BFI/AAAAAAAAAb4/1rH1zV5tWZw/s800/DSC00741.JPG

DooSPX
02-29-2012, 01:32 PM
I had a curved angle iron bolted, then welded to the trailer prop guard, painted the same as the trailer and then the tie downs bolted to them...
The way they are is a vertical pull to the eye. It hardly touches the boat, I put a piece of soft foam rubber between the strap and gel when they get sinched down.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b80/DooSPX/P5074838.jpg

Shooter McKevin
02-29-2012, 02:40 PM
Are you guys taking off the platform every time to hook up the straps? I've been running mine through the first gap in the platform but I'm a little worried about damaging the platform.

I've thought about thinner hooks or maybe extension straps that will fit between the transom and the platform. I could make a notch in the platform just wide enough for the hook to slide through, but I'm not crazy about that idea either.

Sodar
02-29-2012, 02:43 PM
Are you guys taking off the platform every time to hook up the straps? I've been running mine through the first gap in the platform but I'm a little worried about damaging the platform.

I've thought about thinner hooks or maybe extension straps that will fit between the transom and the platform. I could make a notch in the platform just wide enough for the hook to slide through, but I'm not crazy about that idea either.

I did this. It was just a ~18" strap with loops on each end. Sorry, but I don't have any pics.

mikeg205
02-29-2012, 06:49 PM
When I did them on my 190, I just popped out the brake lights, drilled a hole for the single bolt and installed with a big fender washer behind. You could also do what Sporty said and drill all the way through the frame, the method I used gave me no problems and showed no signs of fatigue.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-DYpY8q_0TsQ/Rgac8P27BFI/AAAAAAAAAb4/1rH1zV5tWZw/s800/DSC00741.JPG

that floor is way too nice...don't let my wife see that...

russlars
02-29-2012, 08:36 PM
I did this. It was just a ~18" strap with loops on each end. Sorry, but I don't have any pics.
I use these motorcycle tie downs on mine that run between the platform and the transom. However, now I have some that I fold in half so that I have both loops of the strap engaging the hook.

Shooter McKevin
03-01-2012, 10:49 AM

I use these motorcycle tie downs on mine that run between the platform and the transom. However, now I have some that I fold in half so that I have both loops of the strap engaging the hook.

Cool. Thanks guys, I think that's what I'll do.

BrianT
03-01-2012, 11:49 AM
Shooter, if you don't already have the buckle system they are at Bass Pro Shops. I picked up a set for my trailer.

Sodar
03-01-2012, 11:57 AM

The stainless buckles are the way to go! :twocents:

Shooter McKevin
03-01-2012, 12:08 PM
Shooter, if you don't already have the buckle system they are at Bass Pro Shops. I picked up a set for my trailer.

Thanks BT. I ponder the scenario every time I'm at Bass Pro. I don't have them yet. I kinda want them but I also don't mind my removable ones. The ones I have work great and are really simple. It relates a little to my platform question... If I'm going to have to stow my 'extension straps' anyways, then the convenience of the boat buckle is lost.

How do you run them through the platform? Or is it different on your boat?

russlars
03-01-2012, 12:17 PM
The stainless buckles are the way to go! :twocents:
Agreed. That is what I have. If I recall, the bolts that came with them were not stainless so I purchased stainless bolts to replace them.:)

Sodar
03-01-2012, 12:23 PM
I agree, Shooter.

The other option would be to unscrew the platform and move the platform a 1/2" from the transom, then redrill the holes. In hindsight, I would have done this, rather than the straps.

Shooter McKevin
03-01-2012, 12:53 PM
I agree, Shooter.

The other option would be to unscrew the platform and move the platform a 1/2" from the transom, then redrill the holes. In hindsight, I would have done this, rather than the straps.

Good info, I take it to mean that the straps are a pain...

Not a bad idea just making the gap bigger. Similar to the notching idea I had, only it would be uniform all the way across (aka not look so crappy). I'd be worried about how well the screws would hold once I reinstalled the brackets in the new holes. I've had a couple of the screws holding the small slats pull out already.

Your new boat must have the tie-down points below the platform?

thatsmrmastercraft
03-01-2012, 01:45 PM

Not a bad idea just making the gap bigger. Similar to the notching idea I had, only it would be uniform all the way across (aka not look so crappy). I'd be worried about how well the screws would hold once I reinstalled the brackets in the new holes. I've had a couple of the screws holding the small slats pull out already.

You shouldn't have a problem with the new holes if you fill the old holes.

Sodar
03-01-2012, 01:55 PM
You shouldn't have a problem with the new holes if you fill the old holes.

Exactly! Should be just fine.

Sodar
03-01-2012, 01:57 PM

Yup. And tie-down hooks on the trailer. I guess these boats really do need to be tied down, afterall! :rolleyes:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-kfaK2Qqyrek/RtTy619lLSI/AAAAAAAABmY/BY9lD_Cea3Y/s800/DSC01894.JPG

LaRue
03-01-2012, 02:03 PM
Any thoughts on how to best attach buckles since my attachment point is so far out. Seems I would have to mount on outside edge of trailer which would result in a twist in the strap

russlars
03-01-2012, 02:06 PM
I agree, Shooter.

One additional thing to consider is that moving the platform away from the transom will likely result in more water being forced up into that slot as the boat moves up and down when it is moored. Mine is about 3/8" away and this is a constant annoyance.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-01-2012, 02:09 PM
Yup. And tie-down hooks on the trailer. I guess these boats really do need to be tied down, afterall! :rolleyes:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-kfaK2Qqyrek/RtTy619lLSI/AAAAAAAABmY/BY9lD_Cea3Y/s800/DSC01894.JPG

That is exactly what I need to do. I can't access the hooks properly as they are above my glass platform.

BrianT
03-01-2012, 02:46 PM
Thanks BT. I ponder the scenario every time I'm at Bass Pro. I don't have them yet. I kinda want them but I also don't mind my removable ones. The ones I have work great and are really simple. It relates a little to my platform question... If I'm going to have to stow my 'extension straps' anyways, then the convenience of the boat buckle is lost.

How do you run them through the platform? Or is it different on your boat?

I have to take my swim deck off, well not right off but more just lift it up a bit to get the strap behind it. I can't go through the deck as mine isn't slatted. I don't mind the little extra work with the deck, only takes a min or two longer.

Jeff d
03-01-2012, 03:07 PM
Any thoughts on how to best attach buckles since my attachment point is so far out. Seems I would have to mount on outside edge of trailer which would result in a twist in the strap

Mine is like yours. I have a maristar 230. Iirc you have a 210. Look back earlier in the thread for how I did it. I pull my straps straight up to the D rings.

LaRue
04-24-2012, 03:19 PM
One bolt for each. 5/16" dia x 4" long with two flat washers and a locking washer for each. Drill straight through the 3" tube. The pair of two comes with short 2" grade 8 bolts but there was no tab on my trailer. Hardware store had the longer bolts for about $8 total for the two as described. I put the boat buclkes on just last week. Works fine and is a good sturdy product. I found a set for $69 plus shipping on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/BoatBuckle-Retractable-Transom-Tie-Down-43-Inch/dp/B000KORVJY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329533631&sr=8-1

this product looks to be only one tie down. Did you find a set for $69?

Jeff d
04-24-2012, 04:03 PM

That's for a pair but they're the non SS version so that price is about average. Note how it says "2 x 43-Inch, Black" in the description.

I got the SS ones. $93 for the pair shipped was the cheapest price I could find last July though.

Cloaked
04-24-2012, 04:07 PM
Yes, it was a pair. I was not interested in the stainless. No need that I can see, other than the obvious but it's not an issue for me.

LaRue
04-24-2012, 05:15 PM
i assumed that meant the webbing was 2" wide and 43" long :o

LaRue
04-24-2012, 05:43 PM

i just talked to customer support at Amazon and they state that this is only for one buckle. Not sure if they changed but you got quite a deal if you got two for $69.

Jeff d
04-24-2012, 06:10 PM
i just talked to customer support at Amazon and they state that this is only for one buckle. Not sure if they changed but you got quite a deal if you got two for $69.
Academy sells the non SS versions by the pair in there stores for less than $70 IIRC.

Per the BoatBuckle catalog F08893 is the part number for the pair of G2 transom tie downs and F14220 is the part number for the pair of SS.

Here's a good price on the non-SS:
http://www.blackbearsportinggoods.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ELLIMCOF08893&click=12

Jeff d
04-24-2012, 06:12 PM
Actually the amazon link posted above is for part number F08893. I'm betting it's just a case of them not being familiar with the product and it actually is a pair. In the BoatBuckle catalog I see no mention of the transom tie downs being sold individually. Only the bow tie downs are not sold by the pair.

http://www.immioutdoors.com/boatbuckle/downloads/3346M_OutdoorCatalog_lowres.pdf

Cloaked
04-24-2012, 07:04 PM
I got two. Period. They are on the boat trailer as we speak. Not doubting your word but just telling you what I experienced. Your mileage may vary.

LaRue
04-24-2012, 07:31 PM
Yea.I believe that u got two. There seems to be confusion over at Amazon the part. Thanks for the link and assistance

curtish
04-25-2012, 12:49 AM

Wonder if those under platform rings can be added. Would like something like this on ours. Have a set of buckles but have not found a good method to use them. The curve of the hull on the rear of the X-9 would rub alot and we're not comfortable with that.

pram
04-27-2012, 01:15 AM
http://www.pacifictrailers.com/boat-trailer-retractable-transom-tie-down-straps/

they have a good variety

CantRepeat
04-27-2012, 06:44 AM
That's for a pair but they're the non SS version so that price is about average. Note how it says "2 x 43-Inch, Black" in the description.

I got the SS ones. $93 for the pair shipped was the cheapest price I could find last July though.

That's a pretty good price. Who was the vendor?

LaRue
04-27-2012, 07:39 AM
I got two. Period. They are on the boat trailer as we speak. Not doubting your word but just telling you what I experienced. Your mileage may vary.

Order from Amazon arrived today...two buckles just like you said. Thanks again

CantRepeat
04-27-2012, 07:44 AM

I'll go you one better LaRue.

I also thought it came as "1" so much so when I order them I order 2 from Cabela's. Guess what? I ended up with two pairs of boat buckles!! lol

Jeff d
04-27-2012, 09:36 AM
That's a pretty good price. Who was the vendor?

3tailer.com but they don't seem to have them anymore. Strange vendor that is obviously run by people whose first language is not English.

vrsc
06-30-2012, 10:05 PM

I did this as well but just a bit lower so there wouldn't be any accidental contact with the boats bottom. It worked great. Also, this company make a cargo buckle that I've used for years on my trailers but its double the strength of the boat buckle. Not really sure why. I called the company to compare the boat buckle (non stainless) and cargo buckle and they said there wasn't a difference other than the the color buckle.

sdinga
04-15-2014, 08:52 AM
Sorry to revive an old thread..I'm buying these and had a few questions

According to the website standard are rated 5000/pair and stainless 3000 lbs/pair. The x25 is 4600 lbs dry so I can't use stainless anyway right?

My MC trailer does not have transom mounting tabs so it's ok just to drill thru the trailer prop saver tubing?

It seems all the rated weight/weakest point is on the bolt. ie if the bolt fails you loose your protection. Everyone making their own mounting tabs/welding/changing bolts would have to ensure the new parts were equally rated?

Hammer
04-15-2014, 09:29 AM
I drilled through on my Prostar. I used the standard version. After 6 or 7 years they look as good as the day I installed them.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

horseshoept
05-20-2014, 10:51 AM
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-kfaK2Qqyrek/RtTy619lLSI/AAAAAAAABmY/BY9lD_Cea3Y/s800/DSC01894.JPG[/QUOTE]

I was looking at my 2003 trailer to see how I would add a boat buckle. Looks like Sodar's. I'm curious though, where does the water that gets in to the prop guard go? Water can get in around the tail lights or a boat buckle? I don't see any exit point for water on my trailer. It is welded shut at the bottom above the rollers.

Note, I do see drains on the steel pieces that run front to back.

ncskier
05-20-2014, 12:09 PM
I was looking at my 2003 trailer to see how I would add a boat buckle. Looks like Sodar's. I'm curious though, where does the water that gets in to the prop guard go? Water can get in around the tail lights or a boat buckle? I don't see any exit point for water on my trailer. It is welded shut at the bottom above the rollers.

Note, I do see drains on the steel pieces that run front to back.

On my trailer there is a hole on the bottom of the prop bar for the water to exit.

horseshoept
05-23-2014, 08:01 PM
My bad. Feel dumb. I looked on three sides and the bottom but not the correct side. Which is the outside. Face palm.