02-17-2012, 02:16 PM
Is this magazine cover racist?

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa358/seviervol/bicover.jpg

Sodar
02-17-2012, 02:17 PM
Even if it is, it is really funny!!!!

02ProstarSammyD
02-17-2012, 02:25 PM
I LOL'D. Only thing that would be better is if the chick looked pissed. Maybe shes smiling b/c she said no

shepherd
02-17-2012, 03:17 PM
I guess the guy on the left is representing the gay community?

GT500 MC
02-17-2012, 03:20 PM
This is going to get ugly quick....:popcorn:

02ProstarSammyD
02-17-2012, 03:24 PM

LoL "Wants a relationship with salesperson. That never clicked for me

73blue
02-17-2012, 03:52 PM
Fortunately for us, they break it down further in the article.

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa358/seviervol/bi1.jpg

02ProstarSammyD
02-17-2012, 04:09 PM
I must have missed the bus on being white. 99k my a$$

GT500 MC
02-17-2012, 04:12 PM
I think I would let her make my recreational decisions...:cool:

BWB-745-
02-17-2012, 04:33 PM
I think I would let her make my recreational decisions...:cool:

Came to post something similar to this :uglyhamme

02ProstarSammyD
02-17-2012, 04:41 PM
http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/11/15/128712266709419753.jpg

ahhudgins
02-17-2012, 06:57 PM
http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/11/15/128712266709419753.jpg

Your post is the only thing that makes any sense!
To me, the whole subject (not just the cover) is whacked. We know who buys boats, so why worry about who ISN'T buying them.

mikeg205
02-17-2012, 08:33 PM
With new boat sales in the toilet - the trade pub has to write something to inspire boat builders. Surprised they did not point fingers at the 1%er's :D :D :D :D

JimN
02-17-2012, 09:00 PM
Your post is the only thing that makes any sense!
To me, the whole subject (not just the cover) is whacked. We know who buys boats, so why worry about who ISN'T buying them.

Why worry about who isn't buying them? Because the market is in the freakin' tank, that's why. Do you know how many boat companies failed in the last 5 years? A lot. Are you familiar with Genmar? They reported record profits in 2000 and now, they're history. These are the lines they owned- Aquasport; Carver; Crestliner; Glastron; Larson; Logic Marine; Lund; Nova; Ranger; Trojan; Wellcraft; Four Winns; Hydra-Sports; Javelin; Lowe; Seaswirl; Stratos.

All of these brands may not be gone, but Genmar was liquidated.

Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/genmar-holdings-inc#ixzz1mgspnQ8P

If you ignore those who AREN'T buying from you, you can't grow if the number of those who are, decreases.

DemolitionMan
02-17-2012, 09:29 PM
That is funny.

ahhudgins
02-17-2012, 10:21 PM
Why worry about who isn't buying them? Because the market is in the freakin' tank, that's why. Do you know how many boat companies failed in the last 5 years? A lot. Are you familiar with Genmar? They reported record profits in 2000 and now, they're history. These are the lines they owned- Aquasport; Carver; Crestliner; Glastron; Larson; Logic Marine; Lund; Nova; Ranger; Trojan; Wellcraft; Four Winns; Hydra-Sports; Javelin; Lowe; Seaswirl; Stratos.

All of these brands may not be gone, but Genmar was liquidated.

Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/genmar-holdings-inc#ixzz1mgspnQ8P

If you ignore those who AREN'T buying from you, you can't grow if the number of those who are, decreases.

I understand basic marketiing, but we aren't talking about cell phones or a lap top computer.
A boat (or a Mercedes SL550 Roadster) isn't something that people just go out and purchase on a whim....it has to be in their blood (and mostley their wallet).

My wife purchased a MC T-shirt from the dealer when I was purchasing our last boat. They keep sending her (not me) post cards for thier "Boat Shows" but I can't get her to spring for a new boat!:D

JimN
02-17-2012, 10:56 PM
I understand basic marketiing, but we aren't talking about cell phones or a lap top computer.
A boat (or a Mercedes SL550 Roadster) isn't something that people just go out and purchase on a whim....it has to be in their blood (and mostley their wallet).

My wife purchased a MC T-shirt from the dealer when I was purchasing our last boat. They keep sending her (not me) post cards for thier "Boat Shows" but I can't get her to spring for a new boat!:D

I don't know where you are but here, I see people driving Escalades, Mercedes (with/without AMG), BMWs, Jags, the occasional Bentley, a Maybach and all kinds of luxury cars in areas where there are no jobs, crappy houses, lots of crime, bad schools and almost no whites.

DemolitionMan
02-17-2012, 11:52 PM

:uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme

ahhudgins
02-18-2012, 11:18 AM
I don't know where you are but here, I see people driving Escalades, Mercedes (with/without AMG), BMWs, Jags, the occasional Bentley, a Maybach and all kinds of luxury cars in areas where there are no jobs, crappy houses, lots of crime, bad schools and almost no whites.

Yup, we have them too but none of them have any money for a Mastercraft, they put it all in their rides.

Ryan
02-21-2012, 04:23 PM
Pics on mag cover and stereotypes = consumer segmentation (not racism)

People are all equal in God's eyes and usually mine... but less so when I have on my marketing goggles. To presume that people are all the same in spending ability or purchase-behavior is naive. Pictures personify qualifying insights that are otherwise burried in data. Few products have the household penetration of toilet paper, so this type of data (if statistically reliable) is invaluable for smart allocation of attention, marketing dollars, PR and innovation.

The article seems to offer some "hey look over there" info but is missing executable insights. Selfishly, I'm ok with the category staying flat (# of opperating boats not annual sales). I have a tough enough time getting smooth water now.

CantRepeat
02-21-2012, 04:29 PM
Pics on mag cover and stereotypes = consumer segmentation (not racism)

People are all equal in God's eyes and usually mine... but less so when I have on my marketing goggles. To presume that people are all the same in spending ability or purchase-behavior is naive. Pictures personify qualifying insights that are otherwise burried in data. Few products have the household penetration of toilet paper, so this type of data (if statistically reliable) is invaluable for smart allocation of attention, marketing dollars, PR and innovation.

The article seems to offer some "hey look over there" info but is missing executable insights. Selfishly, I'm ok with the category staying flat (# of opperating boats not annual sales). I have a tough enough time getting smooth water now.

To presume they don't based off of skin color is racist.

The email is a just joke made by someone and forward around the net.

73blue
02-21-2012, 05:30 PM

Not sure what email you are referring to, but the magazine cover and article are 100% legit. I got it in the mail last week. FWIW, I get the point of the article, the cover just struck me as funny. Hope it didn't offend anyone.

CantRepeat
02-21-2012, 07:15 PM
Not sure what email you are referring to, but the magazine cover and article are 100% legit. I got it in the mail last week. FWIW, I get the point of the article, the cover just struck me as funny. Hope it didn't offend anyone.

lol, it is legit.

http://www.boatingindustry.com/top-stories/2012/02/01/searching-for-new-buyers/

Willski
02-21-2012, 08:39 PM
That is an odd article. I don't think it is racist, just shows the total population demographic is changing.

Ryan
02-22-2012, 12:34 PM

You're right, basing off skin color certainly would be.

My point is targeted marketing is based on values that drive behavior - not skin color. It just happens that some values are shared within cultures tied to ethnicity and that all deserve a marketing message that resonates with them. I value how different we all are.
But what do I know?

JimN
02-22-2012, 01:04 PM
You're right, basing off skin color certainly would be.

My point is targeted marketing is based on values that drive behavior - not skin color. It just happens that some values are shared within cultures tied to ethnicity and that all deserve a marketing message that resonates with them. I value how different we all are.
But what do I know?

What's the difference between basing it on skin color and calling it a "culturally-based" decision? Whites don't use Afro Sheen and it was never made for Whites, so why bother advertising where most of the audience is white, Asian, etc? Most Blacks don't water ski. Would they, if they had the chance? Who knows, but I bet that Black kids who go to some kind of youth camp may ski/board. Are they the "mainstream"? No.

I saw Magic Johnson talking about how some of the movie theaters in his group were doing really badly in concession sales, specifically soft drinks. They had all of the ones that sell well nationally like Coke/Diet Coke, Sprite, Pepsi or whatever, yet they did poorly. They got the management teams together and guess who was in most of the management positions- Yup- white guys. He explained that a lot of Blacks like fruit-flavored soft drinks, so they brought those in and it turned around in a very short time. In this case, it's a matter of management not knowing the audience.

cbryan70
02-22-2012, 01:15 PM
Jim.....Lowe has not been owned by Genmar in a while. They are a brunswick company.

JimN
02-22-2012, 04:46 PM
Jim.....Lowe has not been owned by Genmar in a while. They are a brunswick company.

Considering the fact that Genmar owned about 10 brands, mentioning Lowe misses my point by a fair margin.

Ryan
02-22-2012, 04:50 PM
Jim- I can't speak for the motivation behind the article. For me the difference between culture and skin color is shown in how I apply knowledge and experience (glean from and leverage my agencies) to draft a Hispanic strategy. Against this I measure tactics like what tv ad storyboards will work for Hispanics in LA vs Texas, Puerto Ricans in NY vs Cubans in FL - my basis isn't skin color, it's values and perceptions that effect both impact and persuasion of marketing messages. Then I test them before going into full production. I started my career selling to hispanic retailers in LA and have spent a ton of tome in the other areas in my example - I'm white, like the
Mgrs in your example but that shouldn't matter. I listen and learn and qualified myself to be reaponsible for allocating millions of marketing dollars every year.

I think you're spot with your beverage example. However, the coke bottling vendor should have been providing consumer insights and product recommendations based on preference in the area before the theater even opened let alone before consession sales slid.

Jim, you've been in/around the boating industry for years, and I know you didn't make marketing decisions, but why for decades boat marketing has been Anglo focused with message and communication channels?

JimN
02-22-2012, 05:22 PM
Jim- I can't speak for the motivation behind the article. For me the difference between culture and skin color is shown in how I apply knowledge and experience (glean from and leverage my agencies) to draft a Hispanic strategy. Against this I measure tactics like what tv ad storyboards will work for Hispanics in LA vs Texas, Puerto Ricans in NY vs Cubans in FL - my basis isn't skin color, it's values and perceptions that effect both impact and persuasion of marketing messages. Then I test them before going into full production. I started my career selling to hispanic retailers in LA and have spent a ton of tome in the other areas in my example - I'm white, like the
Mgrs in your example but that shouldn't matter. I listen and learn and qualified myself to be reaponsible for allocating millions of marketing dollars every year.

I think you're spot with your beverage example. However, the coke bottling vendor should have been providing consumer insights and product recommendations based on preference in the area before the theater even opened let alone before consession sales slid.

Jim, you've been in/around the boating industry for years, and I know you didn't make marketing decisions, but why for decades boat marketing has been Anglo focused with message and communication channels?

I'm pretty sure that a mature industry that has existed for so long and has traditionally sold most of their products to Whites basically took the easy way to reach their target- Whites make up the largest demographic and if the corporations are run mainly by Whites, marketing to any other group is basically marketing to strangers. Obviously, someone in management knows people in other ethnic groups but if they want a no muss, no fuss marketing plan, selling to their own is the easy way to do it. Personally, if a company wants to sell to a small, select group, it's their decision but it's throwing money away.