PDA

View Full Version : Quick Exhaust Question

joyner1020
02-17-2012, 09:12 AM
1992 Prostar 205 - 351 WINDSOR
I have 3 small trickles of water coming out of the factory mastercraft "SILENT MASTER " exhaust . It is leaking slowly but surely ..
My question and im sure this may sound stupid , but im no motor guy...

CAN I REMOVE THE OLD EXHAUST AND JUST RUN STRAIGHT EXHAUST HOSE INSTEAD OF REPLACING THE EXHAUST CANS AT 120.00 A POP ?

The boat sounds wonderful with them on and im sure it would sound alittle beefier with them off , some might not like the extra noise , but if it saves me 250.00 I think I will like the engine noise just fine ...!! I was wondering if anyone has done this and will it effect performance or just the sound . Any help would be appreciated ...
Thanks
Joe in Tennessee

Jeff d
02-17-2012, 10:00 AM
You can repair the leaks with normal fiberglass and resin

carlsonwa
02-17-2012, 10:21 AM
The previous owner of my 99' removed the silent masters and plumbed in PVC, it sounds pretty bada** at cruising speeds! Plenty quiet when traveling slow.

http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww238/wayne_carlson/IMG_0304.jpg

TRBenj
02-17-2012, 03:51 PM
Yes, you can replace the mufflers with straight hose. At prices approaching $20/ft, dont expect to save much money, though.

You will definitely notice an increase in volume.

ahhudgins
02-17-2012, 05:36 PM

That's how I fixed a drip on one of mine. I'm at the age that I don't want a loud boat.:D

joyner1020
02-17-2012, 08:27 PM
Thanks for all the help guys , I was considering the PVC , but I think I will try to glass the originals first ... Tahnks for all the quick replys ...Joe

david_ski
02-18-2012, 03:02 AM
I had a similar leak in my muffler. I used fiberglass and resin on exterior. I will post a picture tomorrow. I actually used a mirror and inspected the inside and found a fairly large crack at the 45deg angle on the inlet side. Unable to glass the inside, the exterior fiberglass and resin worked just fine. Much less in cost than a new replacement muffler.

joyner1020
02-21-2012, 07:48 PM
I had a similar leak in my muffler. I used fiberglass and resin on exterior. I will post a picture tomorrow. I actually used a mirror and inspected the inside and found a fairly large crack at the 45deg angle on the inlet side. Unable to glass the inside, the exterior fiberglass and resin worked just fine. Much less in cost than a new replacement muffler.

This was deff the way to go , I glassed them up and everything is good so far ..!

Cloaked
02-21-2012, 09:12 PM
This was deff the way to go , I glassed them up and everything is good so far ..!
Agreed.

The PVC is Foxworthy material.. :D

89BigBlock
03-14-2012, 09:31 PM
PVC?? Interesting. Anyone else other than Carlson do this? Heat is the first thing that comes to mind. Any plumbers out there that can confirm?

learjet2230
03-15-2012, 05:34 PM
PVC?? Interesting. Anyone else other than Carlson do this? Heat is the first thing that comes to mind. Any plumbers out there that can confirm?

I thought about it, but after talking with my neighbor who owns a plumbing company, he thought it was too much heat. But if Carlsonwa has it and it hasn't melted or deformed....COOL. Another cheap fix that works. I'm just runnin 3" hose to 4" exit

snork
03-15-2012, 06:41 PM
Had a 04 X2 and it was a pita to sevice the impellar so I removed the silent master and replaced it with pvc pipe and angles
BTW my silent master is for sale $100 + shipping

89BigBlock
03-16-2012, 11:12 PM
Well after searching for parts online I've concluded 2 things.
1. I wont be using PVC. Replacement parts aren't too bad.
2. There is A LOT of restriction on these systems.
The risers and fiberglass silencers have a ****-ton of exhaust flow obstacles and deflections. Wish I could get a decent pic for show and tell. One would think there is a fair amount of performance enhancement there. I'm wondering tho..what kind of back pressure, if any is needed?

learjet2230
03-19-2012, 08:41 AM
Well after searching for parts online I've concluded 2 things.
2. There is A LOT of restriction on these systems.
The risers and fiberglass silencers have a ****-ton of exhaust flow obstacles and deflections. Wish I could get a decent pic for show and tell. One would think there is a fair amount of performance enhancement there. I'm wondering tho..what kind of back pressure, if any is needed?

I know exactly what your talkin about inside those mufflers. I was pretty shocked to see that as well. As far as back pressure.....who knows. My boat has been "open" for 4 years now with no probs. Power seems plentiful. Just my opinion.

handleandrew
03-05-2013, 12:10 AM
That's how I fixed a drip on one of mine. I'm at the age that I don't want a loud boat.:D

I have this exact problem with our 2005 X7. just discovered it tonight. originally thought it was where the drive shaft goes through the hull. I have some extra fiberglass lying around and will try this repair tomorrow. how many layers are needed?