PDA

View Full Version : San 230 vs x25

Diver14
02-15-2012, 11:03 PM
I am currently an owner of a 2011 Nautiqe 230 and have a ton of issues with them and am going to moving to MasterCraft. I want an X Star but they are not available until July and even then most dealers will not have a demo. They all say they will be special order only. That said the x25 has been recommended. Here is my question. Can someone who has actually rode behind both boats (SAN 230 and X25) give me a legit comparison. Keep in mind I ride with up to 4500 pounds and am used to a pretty big wake. Can anyone compare these two boats when weighted. I am primarily wakeboarding and am interested in a wake comparison not features etc.

Also, its nice that on the Nautiqe I can piggy back 2100# on top of the stock ballast and have it all run from the switches. The storage under the bow does not seem very large on the x25. How much weight do you need in the x25 to get close to a weighted SAN 230 and can it be piggy backed or will I have to have sacks laying around. I have read about the PNP but it seems like a minimal amount of weight can be stored in the lockers. Thanks in advanced.

corey
02-16-2012, 01:25 PM
With that kind of weight the wakes behind both boats are equally sized but the X-25 has a little longer transition, the 230 is a bit more vertical wake. It's really personal preference as to which one is better, I prefer a little longer transition as it's easier on the joints when landing and feels more natural on take off, a buddy of mine prefers the 230's vert wake.

Stashing the weight is fairly easy though I've never tried to hide as much as you run. We generally run an overflow system instead of the MC plug and play system, that way you can truly customize the bags.

FWIW the X-25 wake has less transition than the X-Star (2003-2011 hull).

dlamont
02-16-2012, 03:32 PM
I don't think you'll need to run 4500lbs in the X25 to get a comparable wake to your 230. I haven't been behind the 230 but I have been behind a 210. We rode the X25 and the 210 back to back and the stock X25 wake was better than the 210 heavily weighted (probably 1800lbs extra). Just go to your local MC dealer with all your fat sacs and load that puppy up!!

Diver14
02-16-2012, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I Spoke with wakemakers to see what they had available and it looks like they are using a system that will put 650lbs in each rear locker and a total of 700lbs in the bow using two seperate sacks which doesnt put it to far off from what i am running in my 230 as far as total weight running from the switches. I think being a smaller boat even though its less weight I will probably get a similiar wake and I can always throw some more wieght on the deck if I need to.

Ski-me
02-16-2012, 05:19 PM
Take with a grain of salt....I know nothing about wakeboarding and I have a 94' ski boat BUT:

With all these new boats, it's hard to distinguish between really functional layouts vs. just a bling thing. And I really have no true desire to step up and spend that kind of money for a decked out boat. However, I will say that looking at the new X-Star and the layout/thought that has gone into that boat, certainly looks very interesting. I'm not a fan of a decked out rig but I must say the new X-Star sure does look appealing if I were in that market ($$$ + wakeboarding).

I'm surprised that it would be hard to locate at least a demo of that boat?!? :confused: So there aren't any dealers out there that carry the X-Star in stock to test out?

Anyways, just my 2 cents from a guy who can't wakeboard to save his life (without doing a faceplant that is) :o

willyt
02-16-2012, 05:34 PM
I'm surprised that it would be hard to locate at least a demo of that boat?!? :confused: So there aren't any dealers out there that carry the X-Star in stock to test out?

Anyways, just my 2 cents from a guy who can't wakeboard to save his life (without doing a faceplant that is) :o

Demo 2013 stars don't exist... Yet

02ProstarSammyD
02-16-2012, 05:38 PM
From what I hear alot of dealers are cutting down on whats sitting around since everyone is just having things customized anyways. Granted this was just bs talk at the boat show but I was really curious as to why one of our mc dealers only had like 3 boats out there. Think there was a x25, 214v, and a 15 if I recall. No DD's and none of the big boy toys. It sounded like I couldn't see any of them at the dealership either. I'd love to buy a mercedes without sitting in it too

craig3972
02-16-2012, 07:19 PM
I was told there are curently only 2 2012 xstars in exsistance by Andrew Adkinson at the Calgary boat show. At the show they had the Basket ball colored uhpolstery one shown in the utube video unveiling with Zane - thats 1. the other is the all white boat shown on utube with Rusty riding behind it. I looked it over pretty closely - its really still a prototype, not completely finished and hey are still making changes. The reality for Canadians with a short season is that only 2013 xstars will be available to us.

vision
02-16-2012, 07:58 PM
I don't think you'll need to run 4500lbs in the X25 to get a comparable wake to your 230. I haven't been behind the 230 but I have been behind a 210. We rode the X25 and the 210 back to back and the stock X25 wake was better than the 210 heavily weighted (probably 1800lbs extra). Just go to your local MC dealer with all your fat sacs and load that puppy up!!

Agreed. The X-25 will take less weight to get a monster wake due to the deep V. Much less picky of a wake (easy to get a clean wake both sides) and you can run slightly slower if desired. Get the 6.0L or 6.2L engine.

But the X-25 will not handle nearly as well as your 230. I personally am not a fan of the X-25 rear deck and I like the 230s stadium seating.

willyt
02-17-2012, 12:44 AM
I was told there are curently only 2 2012 xstars in exsistance by Andrew Adkinson at the Calgary boat show. At the show they had the Basket ball colored uhpolstery one shown in the utube video unveiling with Zane - thats 1. the other is the all white boat shown on utube with Rusty riding behind it. I looked it over pretty closely - its really still a prototype, not completely finished and hey are still making changes. The reality for Canadians with a short season is that only 2013 xstars will be available to us.

Exactly right - so none you'd be able to demo right now.