PDA

View Full Version : Good ProStar 205 Upgrades

rkhodges21
02-15-2012, 02:06 PM
Hello all,
I am new to the TT but I love MC and am hoping to buy one soon. I would love to have $70k to plop down on a newer one, but I am still fresh out of school so looking into a mid 90's PS205 as I know these hulls have proven to be good for skiing, wakeboarding, or just cruising. I know for me that a tower is a must and I am hoping I can find one with a nice tower already installed. I would also like to plum in some ballast as well to make the wake bigger as I get better on the board. One thing I have been wondering about though is how are these hulls for surfing? I have done a little bit of wakesurfing and I really enjoyed it, so I would like to have a boat that I could get a nice surf wake out of. I don't want to cause a fuss by this next question, but I was wondering what everybody thought about the Wedge that is on Malibus. Are they any good, and if so, could you put one on an MC? What about surf tabs? Would these types of extras be more trouble than just saving up for a newer model? It just seems like for the difference in $20k and $50-60k I could afford to put a lot of extras on an older boat. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

bkblaida
02-15-2012, 02:47 PM
We have a 97 PS 205 and love the boat. As you have read on this site many times it is one of MasterCrafts best efforts for an all around family boat. To answer your question, we have surfed using our boat. One ballast bag in the aft corner and the wake is sufficient for learning to surf and work some basic moves. With our boat we tube, ski, slalom, wakeboard, surf and barefoot. The boat does all of this well and non of it great. Since our family can do all of the above well and none of it great:D.....it is the perfect boat for us. Good luck with your decision

Rukowh
02-15-2012, 03:01 PM
I'm new to this forum too and just bought my first mastercraft as well. I have had a true trac centurion for years but it's only a good slalom boat and too small for my family. I was lucky and picked up a 99' prostar 205v with a known history and just over 100 hours for 9,000. Evidently that is just below NADA for this model but I haven't seen another anywhere near that price, especially in this condition. It's near mint condition and has the 330hp 5.7 LTR northstar engine. So far I've ordered a factory style new dimension tower and am adding some HLCD tower speakers with an additional amp. I plan to add two 400 lb sacs in the rear lockers, a bow sack and maybe a ski locker sack later. Im gonna do separate ballast puppy reversible pumps for each. I think this may be all the boat I ever need. From what I've read, this 205 ought to do it all including surf. Can't wait for the water to warm up. I'm probably wrong, but I keep telling myself that adding the correct tower, ballast and tunes is adding to the value of this boat.

GT500 MC
02-15-2012, 03:10 PM
I'm new to this forum too and just bought my first mastercraft as well. I have had a true trac centurion for years but it's only a good slalom boat and too small for my family. I was lucky and picked up a 99' prostar 205v with a known history and just over 100 hours for 9,000. Evidently that is just below NADA for this model but I haven't seen another anywhere near that price, especially in this condition. It's near mint condition and has the 330hp 5.7 LTR northstar engine. So far I've ordered a factory style new dimension tower and am adding some HLCD tower speakers with an additional amp. I plan to add two 400 lb sacs in the rear lockers, a bow sack and maybe a ski locker sack later. Im gonna do separate ballast puppy reversible pumps for each. I think this may be all the boat I ever need. From what I've read, this 205 ought to do it all including surf. Can't wait for the water to warm up. I'm probably wrong, but I keep telling myself that adding the correct tower, ballast and tunes is adding to the value of this boat.

Not at all wrong--if it adds value for YOU, that's all that matters...

rkhodges21
02-15-2012, 03:11 PM
Thanks guys. I am also looking to put lots of ballast anywhere I can in hopes that I will one day be good enough on the board to use them all. I have been on onlyinboards and all the 205s out there are upwards of $15k so hopefully, I can come across a deal like urs

jamisonsbrodie
02-15-2012, 03:22 PM
[QUOTE=Rukowh;816575] I was lucky and picked up a 99' prostar 205v with a known history and just over 100 hours for 9,000. Evidently that is just below NADA for this model but I haven't seen another anywhere near that price, especially in this condition. QUOTE]

Are you serious???????? Wow, that is 10k below what it would sell for around here. What was the previous owner thinking? I wish I could find one for 15k.

MCVOLS
02-15-2012, 03:38 PM
rkhodges,

Where in TN are you located? I may know of a '95 205 with a new dimensions tower that has not been listed for sale yet, but will be in the spring.

send me a PM

rkhodges21
02-15-2012, 10:08 PM
Can anyone tell me what kind of financing there is out there for a 15 yr old boat? I really want to live like Dave Ramsey says I should, but I so want an MC. Can I finance a new-to-me boat or should I save for a little while and be happy hitching a ride on my parents pontoon?

Lumbergh
02-15-2012, 11:20 PM
Can anyone tell me what kind of financing there is out there for a 15 yr old boat? I really want to live like Dave Ramsey says I should, but I so want an MC. Can I finance a new-to-me boat or should I save for a little while and be happy hitching a ride on my parents pontoon?

I don't finance toys, but that's just me. The value of advice from the internet varies, but paying interest for highly discretionary items, especially in this economy, seems counterproductive.

The buy-in is just the beginning of ownership expense.

YMMV.

thatsmrmastercraft
02-16-2012, 03:53 AM

If you are mechanically inclined, there are always some project boats that can be had for not a lot of money. Might not be the best way in having to work your way to riding, but it will get you there.

rkhodges21
02-16-2012, 09:01 AM
If you are mechanically inclined, there are always some project boats that can be had for not a lot of money. Might not be the best way in having to work your way to riding, but it will get you there.

I would love to do that, but right now I really don't have the space or time. I would need to put a lot of time into researching, but one day hopefully I will get to do that. Always thought it would be cool to drop a duramax in a wakeboard boat. I'm actually kinda surprised that diesels haven't shown up as options from the factory yet. Most any of today's diesels will easily make 500 hp with just a good tune. Give me the money to buy say an 04 Xstar in need of an engine, drop an efi tuned duramax in that thing and you would sink the boat with ballast before the oiler would quit pushing it through the water.

thatsmrmastercraft
02-16-2012, 09:06 AM
I would love to do that, but right now I really don't have the space or time. I would need to put a lot of time into researching, but one day hopefully I will get to do that. Always thought it would be cool to drop a duramax in a wakeboard boat. I'm actually kinda surprised that diesels haven't shown up as options from the factory yet. Most any of today's diesels will easily make 500 hp with just a good tune. Give me the money to buy say an 04 Xstar in need of an engine, drop an efi tuned duramax in that thing and you would sink the boat with ballast before the oiler would quit pushing it through the water.

Diesel engines certainly have a the power in all the right places for a wakeboard or surf boat. Not sure if it smell like you were wakeboarding behind a city bus though.:rolleyes:

rkhodges21
02-16-2012, 09:08 AM
Diesel engines certainly have a the power in all the right places for a wakeboard or surf boat. Not sure if it smell like you were wakeboarding behind a city bus though.:rolleyes:

Good point. I guess you would also want to make sure you had the timing and fuel right to keep from dumping black soot into the water as well.:D

east tx skier
02-16-2012, 09:12 AM
You can get good rates on boats. Plenty of people will tell you not to finance toys. I think that's a noble notion. But I'm glad I never subscribed to it. I'd never have bought a boat. I don't miss the 2.9% in interest I paid for the 4 or so years it took me to pay my boat off early. Not a bit. Not one bit compared to the good times we have had on our boats. Paid cash for the second one from selling the first one.

The 205 is a great do it all boat. Find a good one and it'll serve you well as long as you own it. Tower, ballast, stereo ... if it makes you happy, do it. I'd also suggest a jump seat for extra observer seating forward of the motorbox.

Welcome.

rkhodges21
02-16-2012, 09:34 AM
You can get good rates on boats. Plenty of people will tell you not to finance toys. I think that's a noble notion. But I'm glad I never subscribed to it. I'd never have bought a boat. I don't miss the 2.9% in interest I paid for the 4 or so years it took me to pay my boat off early. Not a bit. Not one bit compared to the good times we have had on our boats. Paid cash for the second one from selling the first one.

The 205 is a great do it all boat. Find a good one and it'll serve you well as long as you own it. Tower, ballast, stereo ... if it makes you happy, do it. I'd also suggest a jump seat for extra observer seating forward of the motorbox.

Welcome.

Thanks for the advice. I have seen a few with the jumper seat and I believe that would be a good way to go. I have a feeling if I buy any boat that I will have 4-6 adults on it when we go out but my wife and one of her friends/female family members will probably hang out most of the time in the bow with our 3 month old (make her about 6 months old when we start boating). I have seen that the prostar 214/X14 has seating that wraps around beside the doghouse behind the driver. Has anyone done this to a 205 or 209? I just figure it might add a little more seating for comforts sake especially if people have to shuffle around when someone wants to ski using the pylon in front of the dog house.

CantRepeat
02-16-2012, 09:38 AM

Welcome.

Yup, bought my 92 for 12.5k and used my credit union on some ridiculously low rate and we enjoyed that boat for 14 years. Paid it off in 4 years and we as family had so much fun with that boat.

Used my credit union again for the 06 but put every bit of the 12.5k I sold the 92 for down on it. We'll pay this one off early too and keep it for 14 years as well and then upgrade at that point.

02ProstarSammyD
02-16-2012, 09:43 AM
I have seen a few with the jumper seat and I believe that would be a good way to go
I just got one from overtons for 35 bucks and making a base. Sound investment for another seat

dfmaus
02-16-2012, 09:48 AM
I was thinking of doing just this for my 2000 205 - which seat did you use from Overtons? I am in Raleigh

I just got one from overtons for 35 bucks and making a base. Sound investment for another seat

rkhodges21
02-16-2012, 01:22 PM
So it looks like I should find a good credit union to get a loan and do my best to pay it off early. The jump seat is a must and I think a bow filler cushion is in order for my boat as well. As far as ballast, I would like to have it all plumbed in nicely with switches that I can flip. Which systems do you guys recommend and how many of yall have done the install yourselves? Also, what do you guys think about adding an extra bench beside the dog house behind the driver seat?

02ProstarSammyD
02-16-2012, 01:38 PM
I was thinking of doing just this for my 2000 205 - which seat did you use from Overtons? I am in Raleigh

Shot you a pm. Im pretty sure it was this one

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Folding-Fishing-Chair&i=81238&aID=601C5A&merchID=4006

but thought it was like 37.99 or 39.99 not 49. Doubt in my cheapness I wouldn't have kept looking if it was that much. Its a semi cheap seat but the color vinyl matches my mc pretty close. My goal is to have a flip top so I can toss some lead in there for surfing, handles, or a bottle of jack for emergency purposes.

So it looks like I should find a good credit union to get a loan and do my best to pay it off early. The jump seat is a must and I think a bow filler cushion is in order for my boat as well. As far as ballast, I would like to have it all plumbed in nicely with switches that I can flip. Which systems do you guys recommend and how many of yall have done the install yourselves? Also, what do you guys think about adding an extra bench beside the dog house behind the driver seat?

1) yes to the credit union. I use mine and the rate was alil high but they got my loan done in like 2 hours and have been great on service.
2)call wakemakers on the ballast and they can walk you through it. They are a solid merchant with top notch customer service.
3)check out the newer 214 layout and you can see how the bench works. I considered it but thats where my cooler goes and beer>butts. With the jump seat you can have both and even use the cooler as a foot prop.

east tx skier
02-16-2012, 02:23 PM

Paying it off early is a good goal, but by that last year, you aren't paying much interest (maybe $10 per month). So by then, you may just want to hang onto the liquidity for fuel.

Credit Unions are where I have financed my cars and boats. Easy to deal with and, generally, good rates.

02ProstarSammyD
02-16-2012, 04:29 PM

My credit union required mine to be 2001+, blue book for what I'm borrowing, and only gave me 20k to spend. I bought a fixer upper and probably have 23-24 in it now which is around value so I got alil extra boat by spending some after the fact. Evidently toy loans just aren't as kind as they once were. There are some online lenders that will spot you on a boat that old but my credit union said I'd have to get a personal loan with a higher rate. After comparison with the rates I would have paid as much for the newer boat as I would the older boat if I went full term on the loan. Just food for thought. If you don't know don't hesitate to ask your bank questions. The least the bloodsuckers can do is answer a few questions for all the money we give them.

Paying it off early is a good goal, but by that last year, you aren't paying much interest (maybe $10 per month). So by then, you may just want to hang onto the liquidity for fuel.

Paying more than owed on the head end is always the goal. When you get the balance low its not terrible. Alot of people cheap out and don't put down a good down payment but for every dollar you don't spend up front you are gonna pay multiplied by the time you are done and you'll pretty much always be upside down on it.

rkhodges21
02-17-2012, 09:14 AM
Evidently toy loans just aren't as kind as they once were. There are some online lenders that will spot you on a boat that old but my credit union said I'd have to get a personal loan with a higher rate. After comparison with the rates I would have paid as much for the newer boat as I would the older boat if I went full term on the loan. Just food for thought.

Paying more than owed on the head end is always the goal. When you get the balance low its not terrible. Alot of people cheap out and don't put down a good down payment but for every dollar you don't spend up front you are gonna pay multiplied by the time you are done and you'll pretty much always be upside down on it.

Many good points you guys are bringing up. I can see what you are saying that with the higher interest rates that you would have to pay that you could wind up having just as much invested in an older "less expensive" boat as you would have had you just financed a newer boat. Plus, I did a little looking and the orginal xstars and X2s that used that hull are not that much more than a 95-97 model 205. For some reason I am really being drawn to the direct-drives though. I guess I will just keep researching. Thanks guys. All advice is greatly appreciated.

02ProstarSammyD
02-17-2012, 09:51 AM
Direct drives are great boats. I've never owned a v drive so I maybe partial but I like mine. Not really my concern if a couple can't play footsie across the boat but I'm not a great wakeboarder either so I just want an all around boat for less $. Boats are the most dangerous toy to look at newer models and get hooked on bells and whistles that you may never use. Keep your real budget in mind and stick to it. My buddy may have an 85k boat but I have just as much fun in my 20k boat just as people have as much fun in an 8k boat

rkhodges21
02-17-2012, 01:51 PM
Direct drives are great boats. I've never owned a v drive so I maybe partial but I like mine. Not really my concern if a couple can't play footsie across the boat but I'm not a great wakeboarder either so I just want an all around boat for less $. Boats are the most dangerous toy to look at newer models and get hooked on bells and whistles that you may never use. Keep your real budget in mind and stick to it. My buddy may have an 85k boat but I have just as much fun in my 20k boat just as people have as much fun in an 8k boat

I am not much of a skier just because I am never able to stay up long. I am a big guy and I know that my balance has a lot to do with that, but the only boat I have really tried to ski behind is a pontoon, and my rope was hooked at pontoon level. When I wakeboarded behind a buddy's boat with a tower, I came right up and stayed up for awhile, but behind the pontoon with the same tow point, I really struggled, so I feel that a boat made for skiing with a taller tow point would really help me and make it easier to learn to do it right. Plus, it looks like with most pro boarders that they put a ton of ballast in the front of a v drive boat. That would lead me to believe that a direct-drive would be just as good as a v-drive as long as you had some ballast in the back to give the effect of a v-drive, but that is just my thinking out loud. You guys correct me if I'm wrong. I am really looking forward to having a boat that I can do lots of things with. I kneeboard a lot, and I am wanting to kneeboard behind a boat that throws a wake so I can try my hand at a launch. I agree with the price difference, but I really don't want an i/o. Maybe I just have expensive tastes but if I can't get a good direct/v-drive, I would rather not buy a boat. I just feel like the inboards are safer and let you do more stuff. Not to mention they all have V8s for good towing. BTW, most of the 205s have like 300 hp. Does that do ok under heavy ballast (>1200 lbs) and a few people or should I consider trying to tweak the engine for more power?

02ProstarSammyD
02-17-2012, 01:59 PM
[QUOTE][/am not much of a skier just because I am never able to stay up long. I am a big guy and I know that my balance has a lot to do with that, but the only boat I have really tried to ski behind is a pontoon, and my rope was hooked at pontoon level. When I wakeboarded behind a buddy's boat with a tower, I came right up and stayed up for awhile, but behind the pontoon with the same tow point, I really struggled, so I feel that a boat made for skiing with a taller tow point would really help me and make it easier to learn to do it right. Plus, it looks like with most pro boarders that they put a ton of ballast in the front of a v drive boat. That would lead me to believe that a direct-drive would be just as good as a v-drive as long as you had some ballast in the back to give the effect of a v-drive, but that is just my thinking out loud. You guys correct me if I'm wrong. I am really looking forward to having a boat that I can do lots of things with. I kneeboard a lot, and I am wanting to kneeboard behind a boat that throws a wake so I can try my hand at a launch. I agree with the price difference, but I really don't want an i/o. Maybe I just have expensive tastes but if I can't get a good direct/v-drive, I would rather not buy a boat. I just feel like the inboards are safer and let you do more stuff. Not to mention they all have V8s for good towing. BTW, most of the 205s have like 300 hp. Does that do ok under heavy ballast (>1200 lbs) and a few people or should I consider trying to tweak the engine for more power?QUOTE]

If you aren't of a high level you can get by with a DD for wakeboarding. Now you really can't lump all dd's in together just like you can't lump all v drives together. It all depends on how many people you want to hold, what they are doing, and price. People who are going to ski are going to love a 190. People who want a big dd that does alil of everything are going to like the 205's and 209's. I know alot of people who have i/o's and quite frankly that is great for them but it doesn't work for me. I don't like 1 thing about them. All hulls are different and are going to produce different characteristics. To me it sounds like a 205 or 209 might be a solid boat for you. 190's can be found alot cheaper though but I really can't chime in on what kind of wake they produce

rkhodges21
02-17-2012, 02:15 PM
If you aren't of a high level you can get by with a DD for wakeboarding. Now you really can't lump all dd's in together just like you can't lump all v drives together. It all depends on how many people you want to hold, what they are doing, and price. People who are going to ski are going to love a 190. People who want a big dd that does alil of everything are going to like the 205's and 209's. I know alot of people who have i/o's and quite frankly that is great for them but it doesn't work for me. I don't like 1 thing about them. All hulls are different and are going to produce different characteristics. To me it sounds like a 205 or 209 might be a solid boat for you

Oh definitely. I really don't wanna be towed by anything other than an inboard. I have done some looking at the 209/X9s as well and my boat purchase will be that or a 205. The only i/o I would think about having would be like a donzi or fountain etc for some fast touring, but I do not like most i/os because most dont have the ride, the handling, or the wake shaping of a direct-drive. Plus, it does not appear that i/os hold their value like a true inboard. Any i/o I ever have I will only use when I want to go fast, but if I wanna take the kids or friends out for a fun day doing anything and everything on the lake, I will be hooking up to an MC. And I am willing to save up and shell out the money for an MC for that purpose.

Also, is it safe to use the tower tow point for pulling a tube? I have heard several people say no but I have seen several people that do. In fact I think Scott Crutchfield did in one of the Rewind vids one time. I would think tubing would be even more fun being pulled from the tower, but I want to know if its ok before I do that.

JRW160
02-17-2012, 02:19 PM
The main advantages of a vdrive of a ddrive to me are the open interior space and the ability to hide most/all of your ballast. The few times I have ridden in direct drives, we had to put sacs in the rear seat and on the floor beside the engine. The wake is almost as good as a vdrive, but it makes getting around the boat tough. With a vdrive you just throw some sacs in the rear lockers and under the fron seat and you are good to go.

300hp is plenty. I have the 310hp motor and run about 3000lbs of ballast+people. I had to switch from the 14x20 prop to the 14.5x14.25 though.

rkhodges21
02-17-2012, 02:31 PM
The main advantages of a vdrive of a ddrive to me are the open interior space and the ability to hide most/all of your ballast. The few times I have ridden in direct drives, we had to put sacs in the rear seat and on the floor beside the engine. The wake is almost as good as a vdrive, but it makes getting around the boat tough. With a vdrive you just throw some sacs in the rear lockers and under the fron seat and you are good to go.

300hp is plenty. I have the 310hp motor and run about 3000lbs of ballast+people. I had to switch from the 14x20 prop to the 14.5x14.25 though.

What boat do you use? How did that change your fuel consumption? Not that that really matters because I know that I gotta pay to play but just wondering.

JRW160
02-17-2012, 02:35 PM
What boat do you use? How did that change your fuel consumption? Not that that really matters because I know that I gotta pay to play but just wondering.
I have a 2003 x-2 which is essentially a 205v. I didn't notice much difference in fuel consumption, but I don't really track it all that closely.

rkhodges21
02-17-2012, 03:38 PM
Cool. I am actually also considering the X2 as well. Basically I am open to any of the 205 style hulls within my price range. I also like the looks of the 209/X9, but it is just a matter of what I can find in what shape and for what price. Looking like the mid 90s 205 will be the boat for me if I get anything in the near future if I wanna pay cash. If I just can't wait and go get a loan then I will prolly get an early to mid 2000s 209/X9 unless something else catches my eye. Just want an open bow MC is the main thing.

rkhodges21
02-19-2012, 07:54 PM
I had another question about the 90s 205. If I were to need to put a new swim platform on one that I bought, could I go with one of those new style platforms with the rubber mat that came on the X1s? Would anyone know how much that would cost?

rkhodges21
03-01-2012, 01:46 PM
Never got a response on the platform question. I would think that an X1 rubber platform would fit an older 205 but I want to be sure.