PDA

View Full Version : Picking up my boat out of state

mattb
02-14-2012, 11:09 PM
Hey everyone,

I'm finally joining the Mastercraft owner's club this weekend. I'm driving to Tennessee to pick up a 1995 Prostar 190 with the LT-1/Powerslot combo. I have a few questions prior to leaving to ensure this purchase goes as seamless as possible -

1. TN does not have titles or trailer plates. MI requires both. I plan on getting the current registration and notarized bill of sale. Does anyone in MI know if I will need anything else to get my boat titled in Michigan? This includes anything that may not be necessary, but overall makes it easier to title and transfer ownership when I go to the secretary of state (MI's DMV).

2. Transporting the boat without a trailer plate. Will I get any grief once I leave TN having no plate on my trailer?

3. The boat is free of any and all liens. Do I need anything documenting this? If so, what should I get?

Thanks in advance everyone. I will post pictures once I pick it up!!

Sullivan
02-14-2012, 11:16 PM
Hey I wish I could help you out but I can't. I just wanted to say congrats on the new boat. That is a sweet ride. Lets see some pictures!

mattb
02-14-2012, 11:26 PM
Thanks Sullivan!

Cloaked
02-14-2012, 11:34 PM
You should be fine with papers of new transaction and a trip back up through KY and IL. Most states acknowledge the reciprocal agreements of other states when this is the case. Only solution is to get temp tags to transport but honestly, I'd hook it up and bring it back without worry of a tag.

Your paperwork from TN is all that you will have when the courthouse in MI accepts your application for title and registration. A bill of sale is all I have ever had to deal with when registering (but all of my boats get registered in TN). I love not having tags on the boat trailer. No title is another easy win for boat owners here.

The only thing I usually put on a bill of sale is that the boat is free of liens, etc. No big deal either way for me. Just a thought. Takes one line and 30 secs in a Word doc.

jafo9
02-14-2012, 11:38 PM
i agree with all the above, i'll also add, get good contact info from the seller. that way if there is something missing, you can get it later.

madcityskier
02-14-2012, 11:40 PM
In my experience, a clean title that shows no liens should be all you need for the boat. The trailer, if it has never been registered will need a bill of sale, and if possible a copy of the original bill of sale from the dealer. I am in Wisconsin, we also do not register. Took a boat back to my Dad near Jackson, MI some time ago and spent a long time on the side of the road with an officer who wanted to ticket us, but eventuallly realized he couldn't as it was a WI boat on the trailer towed by a WI vehicle. I would probably put one of those fake vanity plates on it. Should keep them from becoming interested, while still avoiding putting on a plate registered to another vehicle which is a big no no.

wheelerd
02-15-2012, 03:12 AM
I towed a boat/trailer all the way from TN to Canada with no plates! (Of course, I made sure that I had an insurance rider on the unit though in case anything happened.)

2RLAKE
02-15-2012, 07:48 AM
congrats and welcome ... you should not have any issues

2RLAKE
02-15-2012, 07:49 AM
which lake in MI .... OK i know there are 1000 but i though i'd ask anyway

mattb
02-15-2012, 08:06 AM
Thank's everyone! I'll most likely utilize the suggestions above but from the sounds of it, it seems like I will be fine.

mattb
02-15-2012, 08:07 AM
which lake in MI .... OK i know there are 1000 but i though i'd ask anyway

I currently don't live on the water, so I will most like trailer it around to some of the local-area lakes.

MattsCraft
02-15-2012, 08:31 AM
Just FYI - Ohio requires plates and registration also:D

Barefooter92
02-15-2012, 08:39 AM
I picked mine up in GA and trailered to OH via I-75 a few years ago. I had the same questions so I called the trooper post and they said proof of sale in OH is acceptable. I took a chance though the other states and no issue.

My best advise is call the owner and verify all lights on the trailer work before you arrive. This delayed my trip by 6 hours! And an unexpected $100 in new lights before heading home. They were full of water and grounded out.

You may also need saftey chain extensions but most important make yourself an extention for the lights as my plug and trailer pig tail were about 6" short.

Good Luck and Enjoy!

jafo9
02-15-2012, 08:59 AM
good point about the lights.

94PS190
02-15-2012, 10:18 AM
you will need the weight of the trailer to title and plate it in michigan. You will haave to take it somewhere, have it and bring in a weight ticket. impossiple to do with boat on trailer. I only use my trailer twice a year, so I just never got around to plating it.

mattb
02-15-2012, 10:24 AM
you will need the weight of the trailer to title and plate it in michigan. You will haave to take it somewhere, have it and bring in a weight ticket. impossiple to do with boat on trailer. I only use my trailer twice a year, so I just never got around to plating it.

That's good to know! What a pain in the ***.

Table Rocker
02-15-2012, 10:36 AM
Here is a $20 trailer light insurance policy:
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-magnetic-towing-light-kit-67455.html

east tx skier
02-15-2012, 11:27 AM
The only thing I usually put on a bill of sale is that the boat is free of liens, etc. No big deal either way for me. Just a thought. Takes one line and 30 secs in a Word doc.

This. Every bill of sale I have ever written for something I sold had a statement like this in it.

mattb
02-15-2012, 11:36 AM
^ yeah I put it in that it is being sold free and clear or any and all liens. Might as well cover all my bases.

Shooter McKevin
02-15-2012, 11:55 AM
Make sure it has a spare tire. Bringing an extra spare is not a bad idea if you have one.

kyfooter
02-15-2012, 01:19 PM
I would ask the Michigan DMV what they'll want to see. Some want the titles/sale documents notarized, while others may acknowledge the out of state purchase and let it go without.

Bring a good jack, and make sure the bearings are packed. Also bring a few wrenches and a C-clamp. C-clamp is in case you need to mess with the breaks, you can get the caliper back in. Wrenches in case you have brake problems, just disconnect from the master cylinder and let them bleed out...that will at least keep you rolling.

Jorski
02-15-2012, 02:47 PM
The OP didn't mention if he was buying from an individual or a dealer.

Years ago I bought my boat in Ohio, and pulled it up to Canada. The guy I dealt with came up with lending me his dealer plates on the trailer for trip, then I sent them back to him by fedex.

Shooter McKevin
02-15-2012, 03:14 PM
I'd check about transom trailer straps as well. When I bought mine (from about 4 hrs away) I thought it was ludicrous that the PO towed it around with no straps. He said it never had any. Research on this site taught me that MC's didn't used to come with straps. I think they are a necessity, but some people still don't use any. (I was glad I found a small town hardware store with some for the ride home)

McFire
02-15-2012, 03:24 PM
I would add a 4 way lug wrench to your list. I know my trailer lug nuts are not the same size as my Chevy Trailblazer lug wrench. Glad I realized that before ever needing to use the lug wrench.

mzito
02-15-2012, 03:28 PM
I currently don't live on the water, so I will most like trailer it around to some of the local-area lakes.

What lakes will you be putting in at? what location in MI are you?

mattb
02-15-2012, 03:36 PM
The OP didn't mention if he was buying from an individual or a dealer.

Buying from an individual

I would ask the Michigan DMV what they'll want to see. Some want the titles/sale documents notarized, while others may acknowledge the out of state purchase and let it go without.

Bring a good jack, and make sure the bearings are packed. Also bring a few wrenches and a C-clamp. C-clamp is in case you need to mess with the breaks, you can get the caliper back in. Wrenches in case you have brake problems, just disconnect from the master cylinder and let them bleed out...that will at least keep you rolling.

Getting a hold of someone at MI's DMV is nearly impossible and I don't have the time to sit on the phone for hours waiting for an answer. Plus, they never seem to know anything until you show up and are missing something...

I plan on bringing a load of tools with me. C-clamps are a good idea, thanks!

What lakes will you be putting in at? what location in MI are you?
I am Milford/Brighton, so basically all the lakes around that area. Maybe even Lake Orion! I'm not 100% sure yet.

mzito
02-15-2012, 03:41 PM
Cool...Brighton is a nice area. You are getting a great boat. I also have a 95 190. love it great wake and they look good!!! Congrats on the purchase.

bturner2
02-15-2012, 05:29 PM
Dang, I was looking for all the information that I had from when I did mine 3 years ago. I bought a boat from a dealer in TN by Norris Lake and pulled it home to Brighton MI. I traded my old boat and cash for the new one so I had a plate for the trip home. The boat I got was only two seasons old and the PO had all the paper work that came with the boat including what I believe was called a statement of manufacture or origin or something like that from MC which is what I took with me to the SoS. I remember also talking to someone at the boat show from the Secretary of State and they told me I needed the serial number, weight and bill of sale. I remember it wasn't all that easy and I think I took a pencil impression of the serial with me too.

ahhudgins
02-15-2012, 05:51 PM
Have they changed things in MI in the last few years? I bought my last boat in MI at Devil's Lake Marina (5-6 years ago?) and wasn't given a title for the trailer because the dealer told me that they were not issued. It took me 3 trips to DMV in VA to get a &#@*% title!!

As everyone mentioned (and yourself), take everything but the kitchen sink that you might need for the trailer. I took (and used) my jack, wooden blocks, a used hub, and a spare tire. None if the tools will be worth a dime if you don't have a spare tire.:D

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

wheelerd
02-15-2012, 11:18 PM
Bring a good jack . . .

I jack that actually FITS the trailer is important! If you have a flat tire the axle is really low to the ground and many vehicle jacks won't fit under the axle. I carry one of those "roll up and onto" jack stands that go under the axle, along with a piece of carpet so I don't scratch the axle tube.