PDA

View Full Version : need your opinion

Jerseydave
02-14-2012, 04:39 AM
My 18 y.o. son got a letter from this agency stating that he must register with them. Does this look legit? The letter came via regular mail, not certified. Below in the agency's website.

http://www.sss.gov/FSwho.htm

Any government employees out there that can tell me if this is a real gov agency?

CantRepeat
02-14-2012, 08:09 AM
My 18 y.o. son got a letter from this agency stating that he must register with them. Does this look legit? The letter came via regular mail, not certified. Below in the agency's website.

http://www.sss.gov/FSwho.htm

Any government employees out there that can tell me if this is a real gov agency?

I believe he can register for selective service at any US post office. I wouldn't send any info that came from a letter in the mail.

Also

AT THEIR HIGH SCHOOL
More than half the high schools in the nation have a staff member or teacher appointed as a Selective Service Registrar. These individuals help register male high school students.

73blue
02-14-2012, 11:22 AM
I'd say its probably legit. They don't just give out .gov web addresses. That said, he should be able to register at school or the Post Office if he wants as the other posters have said.

plunk77
02-19-2012, 03:42 PM
you have to register is the understanding i have. I did 3 years ago. think i did it at the post office. I carry the card around. It's so if there's another draft anytime soon you're registered already.

mikeg205
02-19-2012, 03:47 PM
post office and high school - we registered via the FAFSA website for college financial aid....no worries... Obama is slicing and dicing the military and we've have had more than enough volunteers. I am grateful for those brave enough to sign up. It's the brave that keep people like me free.

Jerseydave
02-19-2012, 07:42 PM
Yep, I found out it is legit. In today's world, you never know who is a scammer, spammer, or thief trying to steal your identity. Thanks for the replies fellas!