PDA

View Full Version : National "do not call" list???

Maristar210
08-10-2005, 01:18 PM
Maybe one of you can share with me how telemarketers can still call my home when I am on the national do not call list? It has gotten so bad that most of the time I just let the phone ring and I am thinking of getting rid of my phone all together for this reason alone.

thanks,
Steve

bcampbe7
08-10-2005, 01:22 PM
Not-for-profit organizations can still call. Otherwise, I think you can turn them in and they will get a fine. Not sure who you turn them in to though. :confused:

6ballsisall
08-10-2005, 01:23 PM
Maybe one of you can share with me how telemarketers can still call my home when I am on the national do not call list? It has gotten so bad that most of the time I just let the phone ring and I am thinking of getting rid of my phone all together for this reason alone.

thanks,
Steve

Get a Voice over IP phone. We have one and we get ZERO telemarketers and the rate is CHEAP!! www.lingo.com

BrianM
08-10-2005, 01:25 PM
There are some big loop holes in the do not call list. If you have done business with someone in the past (I think year) they can call you their affiliates can also call for I believe 6 months. Political organizations and non profits are exempt from the list. These are just some of the holes that I know of. So far I just get an occasional call from my college alumni association and a few political calls. Crossing my fingers that it stays that way.

maristarman
08-10-2005, 01:27 PM
From the Q & A section of the FTC website (http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/alerts/dncalrt.htm)

"29. If I register my number on the National Do Not Call Registry, will it stop all telemarketing calls?

No. Placing your number on the National Do Not Call Registry will stop most telemarketing calls, but not all. Because of limitations in the jurisdiction of the FTC and FCC, calls from or on behalf of political organizations, charities, and telephone surveyors would still be permitted, as would calls from companies with which you have an existing business relationship, or those to whom you’ve provided express agreement in writing to receive their calls. "

You're most likely getting calls because of the "companies with which you have an existing business relationship".

It's not uncommon for credit card companies to change the terms of your agreement and require you to opt out of the program where they provide your contact info to their business partners. They usually notify you in a change in terms letter which has a bunch of really small print, that most people don't even bother reading when they get them in the mail.

milkmania
08-10-2005, 01:28 PM
the ONLY thing my home phone is used for is DSL

my kids have been trained how to plug in the "non-cordless" model phone to call 911

if I had a wireless internet connection, the local phone company's lines would be severed!

Maristar210
08-10-2005, 01:29 PM
There are some big loop holes in the do not call list. If you have done business with someone in the past (I think year) they can call you their affiliates can also call for I believe 6 months. Political organizations and non profits are exempt from the list. These are just some of the holes that I know of. So far I just get an occasional call from my college alumni association and a few political calls. Crossing my fingers that it stays that way.

Interesting and I'll check out Lingo. My calls are Discover card, I don't have one, Chase Visa, nope and the local fire / police.

Police I gave to already this year 72 in a 55. :eek:

thanks,
Steve

milkmania
08-10-2005, 01:31 PM
It's not uncommon for credit card companies to change the terms of your agreement and require you to opt out of the program where they provide your contact info to their business partners. They usually notify you in a change in terms letter which has a bunch of really small print, that most people don't even bother reading when they get them in the mail.

Southwestern Bell did that to me with one of their rate changes...
changed my off peak hours in their favor
they were politely informed to stick the phone and their plan.
....and their early termination.

AirJunky
08-10-2005, 01:43 PM
We've had Vonage VOIP for almost 2 years & never once recieved any telemarketing calls. I expect that to change as VOIP gets more popular.
I have recieved calls on my cell though...... & have turned them in for it too.

Crash
08-10-2005, 01:45 PM
Other than cancelling the phone, caller ID seems to work the best.

03 35th Anniversary
08-23-2017, 11:56 AM
Canadian Online Pharmacy keeps calling my cell phone asking if I'd like to buy some boner pills!

I have done everything from hang up on them, ask them stupid question about the meds, put them on hold (longest one to stay on hold so far it about 15 minutes), most are calling from India so I ask them a bunch of stupid question about India and they still keep calling. I think we are going on about 8-9 years worth of these calls.

thanks,
Steve

Double D
08-23-2017, 04:16 PM
When the 'Do Not Call' list for came out years ago I signed up and it worked. However, I had to re-sign back up a year ago or more and ever since then I have gotten more spam calls.

Government for ya.

paintpollz
08-23-2017, 04:20 PM
I'm getting 10 spam phone calls a day. It's out of control.

DO NOT SIGN UP FOR "DO NOT CALL LISTS"

TayMC197
08-23-2017, 04:29 PM
Canadian Online Pharmacy keeps calling my cell phone asking if I'd like to buy some boner pills!

I have done everything from hang up on them, ask them stupid question about the meds, put them on hold (longest one to stay on hold so far it about 15 minutes), most are calling from India so I ask them a bunch of stupid question about India and they still keep calling. I think we are going on about 8-9 years worth of these calls.

Calls are based on your purchase history...

Timr71
08-23-2017, 04:51 PM

thanks,
Steve

Here's the reason. Nearly every major marketing company, research company and polling company doesn't work from a list. There's two techniques being used in a calling center. The first is called RDD. That stands for Random Digit Dialing. It's kind of like the scene in War Games where the kid tells his computer to call every phone number in an area. A computer or group of computers builds a target list of numbers based on prefixes for a designated geography. The computer sequentially creates every available number, and then filters out the numbers that aren't in use. What you're left with is all of the working numbers, and it's not generated from a list.

Then, the computer system uses "auto-dialing" to start calling the numbers. You'll notice there's always a pause after you answer and say hello...that's because that's when the hand off from the computer to a human (or recording) takes place. If you answer and don't say anything you can determine that you were just auto-dialed by a computer and then just hang up.

Years ago, it was against the law to use an auto-dialer to call a cell number. But now that land lines are going away and cell packages are nearly all unlimited, that law (restriction) may not exist anymore. You may also recall that you used to get the first incoming minute free on your cell phone. That was to allow for wrong number calls and unwanted marketing calls.

I work for a company that has used random calling for sampling and recruiting. We've pretty much gone away from using phone numbers and now base our recruiting for our panel off of addresses.

MattsCraft
08-23-2017, 05:32 PM
Reputable companies honor the do not call registry, the rest is illegal spam that could care less about US regulation!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paintpollz
08-23-2017, 05:49 PM

If it was a chick and she sounded hot I'd let her call me every day.

03 35th Anniversary
08-23-2017, 11:59 PM
Calls are based on your purchase history...

No, cause I always buy those from the crazy Gautamain guy that works for me!!! :D

Gsxrgrizz
08-24-2017, 12:25 AM
In Canada we can go online into our account and block whatever number came up in the display. Some of the callers come from Mexico or India who are not subject to the same rules....for them, I had our phone company add a service that will not accept calls from blocked numbers....we get MAYBE 1 or 2 calls a month at best!!!

Maristar210
08-24-2017, 08:26 AM
Way to dig up a 12 year old thread Johnny!!!

03 35th Anniversary
08-24-2017, 08:28 AM
In Canada we can go online into our account and block whatever number came up in the display. Some of the callers come from Mexico or India who are not subject to the same rules....for them, I had our phone company add a service that will not accept calls from blocked numbers....we get MAYBE 1 or 2 calls a month at best!!!

I have gotten calls from my own number, I have called numbers back and they are places like Walgreens and such.

So they are using fake caller I.D. software when they call.

ahhudgins
08-24-2017, 05:56 PM
I never answer any call that's not in my contacts. I use my personal phone for work, so even if
the call is work related, they can leave a voice mail if it's important. If you answer one of the robo calls, you've verified that it's a valid number and it gets passed to other scammers. I was getting the fake IRS calls for a solid month and they eventually stopped.

My wife is a phone-aholic and she breaks into the sweats if she gets a call from and unknown number and I tell her to just ignore it.

03 35th Anniversary
08-24-2017, 06:06 PM
I never answer any call that's not in my contacts. I use my personal phone for work, so even if
the call is work related, they can leave a voice mail if it's important. If you answer one of the robo calls, you've verified that it's a valid number and it gets passed to other scammers. I was getting the fake IRS calls for a solid month and they eventually stopped.

My wife is a phone-aholic and she breaks into the sweats if she gets a call from and unknown number and I tell her to just ignore it.

Letting it go to VM validates it also these days.

paintpollz
08-24-2017, 06:21 PM
Here's the reason.

Curious,,,what was the conversion rate at your company?

Timr71
08-25-2017, 12:44 PM
Curious,,,what was the conversion rate at your company?

I don't have the exact numbers. It's pretty high because we are a highly recognized (brand name) research company. And we're recruiting for long term research participation and we pay significant premiums for participation. Our challenge is cutting through the clutter of all of the annoying other contacts made with the general public. That includes robo calls, junk mail, etc.

CantRepeat
08-25-2017, 01:08 PM
We got rid of our landline when I retired from the Army, so like 8 years ago.

Like many of you, I now get them on my cell phone and I've gone to the not answering if they are not in my contact list.

I too used to do the press 2 to be removed from the list. All that does is let the jackassess know they have a good number.

The do not call list is a joke now.

CantRepeat
09-23-2017, 10:34 AM
Anyone heard of the app "hiya"? A friend of mine's wife told me about it.

Seems to log and block known spammer, telemarketers, and scammer numbers.

slalomjunkie
09-25-2017, 11:36 AM
On Android, caller blocking works fine to block KNOWN people you don't want calling... The annon call rejection however does not work. I haven't heard of Hiya, but I am using an app called "Calls Blacklist..."

If you're not in my contacts, you're not getting through.