PDA

View Full Version : National "do not call" list???

Maristar210
08-10-2005, 12:18 PM
Maybe one of you can share with me how telemarketers can still call my home when I am on the national do not call list? It has gotten so bad that most of the time I just let the phone ring and I am thinking of getting rid of my phone all together for this reason alone.

thanks,
Steve

bcampbe7
08-10-2005, 12:22 PM
Not-for-profit organizations can still call. Otherwise, I think you can turn them in and they will get a fine. Not sure who you turn them in to though. :confused:

6ballsisall
08-10-2005, 12:23 PM
Maybe one of you can share with me how telemarketers can still call my home when I am on the national do not call list? It has gotten so bad that most of the time I just let the phone ring and I am thinking of getting rid of my phone all together for this reason alone.

thanks,
Steve

Get a Voice over IP phone. We have one and we get ZERO telemarketers and the rate is CHEAP!! www.lingo.com

BrianM
08-10-2005, 12:25 PM
There are some big loop holes in the do not call list. If you have done business with someone in the past (I think year) they can call you their affiliates can also call for I believe 6 months. Political organizations and non profits are exempt from the list. These are just some of the holes that I know of. So far I just get an occasional call from my college alumni association and a few political calls. Crossing my fingers that it stays that way.

maristarman
08-10-2005, 12:27 PM
From the Q & A section of the FTC website (http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/alerts/dncalrt.htm)

"29. If I register my number on the National Do Not Call Registry, will it stop all telemarketing calls?

No. Placing your number on the National Do Not Call Registry will stop most telemarketing calls, but not all. Because of limitations in the jurisdiction of the FTC and FCC, calls from or on behalf of political organizations, charities, and telephone surveyors would still be permitted, as would calls from companies with which you have an existing business relationship, or those to whom you’ve provided express agreement in writing to receive their calls. "

You're most likely getting calls because of the "companies with which you have an existing business relationship".

It's not uncommon for credit card companies to change the terms of your agreement and require you to opt out of the program where they provide your contact info to their business partners. They usually notify you in a change in terms letter which has a bunch of really small print, that most people don't even bother reading when they get them in the mail.

milkmania
08-10-2005, 12:28 PM
the ONLY thing my home phone is used for is DSL

my kids have been trained how to plug in the "non-cordless" model phone to call 911

if I had a wireless internet connection, the local phone company's lines would be severed!

Maristar210
08-10-2005, 12:29 PM
There are some big loop holes in the do not call list. If you have done business with someone in the past (I think year) they can call you their affiliates can also call for I believe 6 months. Political organizations and non profits are exempt from the list. These are just some of the holes that I know of. So far I just get an occasional call from my college alumni association and a few political calls. Crossing my fingers that it stays that way.

Interesting and I'll check out Lingo. My calls are Discover card, I don't have one, Chase Visa, nope and the local fire / police.

Police I gave to already this year 72 in a 55. :eek:

thanks,
Steve

milkmania
08-10-2005, 12:31 PM
It's not uncommon for credit card companies to change the terms of your agreement and require you to opt out of the program where they provide your contact info to their business partners. They usually notify you in a change in terms letter which has a bunch of really small print, that most people don't even bother reading when they get them in the mail.

Southwestern Bell did that to me with one of their rate changes...
changed my off peak hours in their favor
they were politely informed to stick the phone and their plan.
....and their early termination.

AirJunky
08-10-2005, 12:43 PM
We've had Vonage VOIP for almost 2 years & never once recieved any telemarketing calls. I expect that to change as VOIP gets more popular.
I have recieved calls on my cell though...... & have turned them in for it too.

Crash
08-10-2005, 12:45 PM
Other than cancelling the phone, caller ID seems to work the best.