PDA

View Full Version : Reprop my 1993, Prostar 205

Jeff Lyman
02-12-2012, 09:16 AM
Ive been reading about how some props create a softer wake and some harder and larger. That Rpm's seem to effec this to. I'm after the softest wake possible from my boat for slalom only. After double knee surgery wake crossing is important to me. Some of you guys must of tested many props on this popular hull?

At our lake and in the course my boat is not the boat of choice to ski, (saves on gas!). I've skied equally between the 2 of the brands and the hardness of the wake is the most noticable area at around 15 to 28 off. A prop change may make some needed difference. I think the prop on my boat is an OJ, I'll check soon shes in storage now.

PLease help....

mikeg205
02-12-2012, 10:26 AM
On my 1995 205, I have the factory prop.. between 28 and 35 mph and 15 off there's practically no wake. I feel the most stress in my knees when start coming out of a hard turn..I am no expert by any means... I free ski and bicycle 50+ miles when I go, I am 52 and watch my knees like a hawk. When I went ski schools to learn to minimize the hop between waked they recommended staying on edge hard to slice the wake. But I am sure you are well aware of that. I noticed strain on my knees on the hop over the wakes as well as slicing on edge thru the wake.

On the other hand... I would go to a ski school and make sure you're not doing something which might exacerbate your physical issues. I plan on skiing until (well we won't discuss that) I may not be able to flip around bouys like will asher or marcus brown, but I sure have a ton of fun, since my coaching over the last few years I have no pain at all from skiing - except for fatigue...

Hope that helps.

jipster43
02-12-2012, 03:17 PM
What engine/transmission do you have? I know that will dictate which prop will work best for your needs.

I have a '93 Prostar 190 with the 285hp engine and 1:1 transmission. I too am looking for a replacement prop, but I want something that will give me more holeshot without sacrificing my baby-soft wakes.

JP :)

Jeff Lyman
02-12-2012, 05:55 PM
I have the 351HO its a 285 hp the trans is stock not the power slot. The boat has great pulling power and I would easily lose some pull power for a softer wake. Any ideas out there? Slowing down the rpm's makes alot of sense to a softer, smaller wake.

[QUOTE]You said:When I went ski schools to learn to minimize the hop between waked they recommended staying on edge hard to slice the wake. But I am sure you are well aware of that. I noticed strain on my knees on the hop over the wakes as well as slicing on edge thru the wake.

Agree... unless your edging thru the wakes your going to have a hard time getting balls at short lines. It hurts when screw up and run a flat ski crossing the wake. Hopefully this season coming things will be better, 1 year since surgery. Thats the reason behind the prop search. I should take the time for a ski school some day, great idea.

mikeg205
02-12-2012, 06:02 PM
You're fortunate to have a place with course. I free ski cuz, there aren't any places close to run buoys. Yeah, I agree on the short lines...the acceleration is sooo intense on short lines. I am not that good, but I notice that great skiers are almost doing a deep water start every time they take a buoy. Another thing that has helped me is strengthening my core...good core helps me keep the right stance... I don't get to ski as much as I want... have to work too much..:D :D

I wish you luck getting back on the water....I spent too many years not skiiing and finally got back in when I was 50.

thatsmrmastercraft
02-12-2012, 06:53 PM
Jeff, great to see things have progressed to this point. I would verify what OJ prop you have on your boat and give Eric at OJ a call. He is a great guy and will have answers to all your questions.

http://www.ojprops.com/

Johnson Propeller Co., Inc
750 Natalie Blvd
Loudon, TN 37774
Phone: 865-458-5205
Fax: 865-458-0686
Toll-Free: 800-359-9730

mikeg205
02-12-2012, 08:03 PM
If eric at OJ props ever leaves we are all screwed...lol... :D :D :D

thatsmrmastercraft
02-12-2012, 09:20 PM
If eric at OJ props ever leaves we are all screwed...lol... :D :D :D

You are absolutely right. They have been around since Oscar Johnson opened the doors in 1936 - I'm thinking Eric will keep things going for a while.

http://www.ojprops.com/history

mikeg205
02-12-2012, 09:52 PM
even though acme props makes a good product I can't help but think of the wylie coyote... :D :D :D

thatsmrmastercraft
02-12-2012, 11:17 PM
even though acme props makes a good product I can't help but think of the wylie coyote... :D :D :D

Every time here too. Do they ship in a wood crate?

mikeg205
02-12-2012, 11:32 PM
Every time here too. Do they ship in a wood crate?

You're crackin me up... okay... back to the thread... :D

east tx skier
02-13-2012, 10:21 AM
I did a prop comparison between the Acme 541 and the OJ XMP 13x12 several years ago.

Here is what I found.

Prop Comparison (http://tylerskiclub.com/proptest.pdf)

mikeg205
02-13-2012, 10:37 AM
I did a prop comparison between the Acme 541 and the OJ XMP 13x12 several years ago.

Here is what I found.

Prop Comparison (http://tylerskiclub.com/proptest.pdf)

wow...nice... very scientific...Thanks for re-posting.... have had many discussions with folks who improperly prop outboards....

Interesting how the OJ prop needed less rpm's at lower speeds but the Acme got 1 more MPH at WOT...

thatsmrmastercraft
02-13-2012, 10:51 AM
wow...nice... very scientific...Thanks for re-posting.... have had many discussions with folks who improperly prop outboards....

Interesting how the OJ prop needed less rpm's at lower speeds but the Acme got 1 more MPH at WOT...

Just goes to show how much a prop can be tailored to specific use.

east tx skier
02-13-2012, 03:24 PM
I think I mention in there that trying to test this sort of thing on the water is pretty maddening. If there was a 1 mph difference on the top, there could be a reason for it other than the prop. We did test each criteria multiple times and tried to account for as many variables as we could with the time we had.

Jeff Lyman
02-14-2012, 09:47 PM
I knew at some point East Tx skier would chime in, I remember years ago reading about his test, thanks. Here's my twisted way of thinking. The question, to achieve a softer wake will a prop turning less rotations at a given boat speed (34mph) rather than higher rotation make a difference? At a higher amount of rotations at 34 in theory should produce more airiation within the water going out the back of the boat. Air bubbles or turbulance should be softer than pure water? So, to achieve this or test this I may try around a 11 inch diameter prop. To compensate and not lose to much speed I would have alittle more cup and pitch put in it.

This is so backwards thinking from my outboard days. We wanted less air for more push. My 270hp Mod-VP Merc. ran a 4 blade 11.25 inch, 32 pitch knife sharp cleaver at 9,000 rpms. it was a rocket. In those days testing we found going extreme made for some interesting conclusions. Now I could care less about losing 2 ro 3 mph or even some pull power. I'll give OJ a call once I get to my boat to see what I have.

Does anyone know what the other boats are using in my hp range?

east tx skier
02-15-2012, 10:32 AM
In theory, I think the answer is it depends. ;)

But at this point, just get one from each manufacturer based on their recommendations, try them both, and keep the one you like the best. Check with OJ and Acme to make sure you can return it within 30 days first though. Really is the best way to do it, even though it's not the easiest way.

DooSPX
02-15-2012, 08:12 PM
Eric at OJ is wonderful to deal with. I love my OJ CNC that he spec'ed for me. I also feel like I made a friend in the process. I now call him just to check up! :D

93Prostar190
02-16-2012, 09:26 PM
On my 93 Prostar 190, 285 with slot, I found the best wake characteristics with a 4 blade OJ prop.

Just my 2 cents.

DooSPX
02-16-2012, 11:05 PM
On my 93 Prostar 190, 285 with slot, I found the best wake characteristics with a 4 blade OJ prop.

Just my 2 cents.

same here on my slot. my 4 blade CNC OJ#454 is amazing. the wake is softer, a little flatter and the bump is a flatter and softer. Oh, did I mention the holeshot is KILLER!!!!! :D

Jeff Lyman
02-18-2012, 08:27 PM
Eric tells me to buy a 13 x 13 force 1" 4 blade although no talk about the props characteristics. Good news from you guys on the oj, I think my boat has a ACMY on it that Ive used now for 4 years. I need to get in the barn to see it soon.

itch2ski
06-18-2012, 02:44 PM
Any updates on this topic?

snobinge
06-18-2012, 04:39 PM
I love my ACME 541. I was running the OJ force 13x13 four blade. The ACME definitely gives me a better top end for footin without sacrificing hole shot. I didn't notice much of a change at 15' off, but I am a free skier.