View Full Version : Importing a US boat into CANADA

02-11-2012, 03:35 PM
My Thoughts the day after bringing US boat and trailer across into CANADA.

Before leaving:
1) Contact dealer, get lots of pics, have his scan and email copies of the titles (boat and trailer).
2) Leave a deposit, 500 on credit card subject to approval of boat buy buyer.
3) Let them know that you want to see it running in test tank, all gages, lights, bilge, blower etc, must be working. Including trailer lights. Make sure trailer has a spare.
4) Find out what size ball the trailer requires and whether it is a 4, 5, or 7 pin connection.
5) Find out if the trailer has current valid tags (licence plate). I towed the boat with no problems from the cops all the way home. (if no current tags then you must go to DMV and get t 3 day trip permit).
6) Go to ICBC with a copy of sales invoice and get an insurance binder for the trailer attached to your towing vehicles insurance.
7) Secure insurance for the boat, in case it is damaged in transport. (usually 400.00 for the whole year with liability for water sports ect).
8) If you are brining US dollars in the states make sure you have withdrawl slips from your bank. (They want to know your not a drug dealer washing money). In my case, the US did not ask, but the Canadians did.
9) RE: money. If you are taking 10 grand or more across the border, you must let the Canadian and US side know. (stupid I know).
10) A copy of any advert or craigslist posting for the item is recommended.

At dealer:
1) Check the trailer vin numbers and boat serial numbers against the ones on the title. They must match. Also, ask that these numbers are noted on the sales invoice.

Crossing Back to Canada: HAVE-
1) Past port
2) Sales invoice
3) Titles signed by owner or dealer
4) Withdrawl slips if you paid in cash
5) A craigslist or wed add of the boat
6) Payment Cash, Creditcard.
7) You will get a FORM 1 which must be stamped by the border agent.

RIV: 1) Online (or at the border if crossing during business hours), produce FORM 1, Pay, Get an inspection certificate. 2) Take Trailer to Canadian Tire for inspection. 3) Go to ICBC: Produce FORM 1, all receipts, titles, ect (basically all documents collected thusfar), (in BC) pay your provincial sales tax, Get a new Plate, registration, and insurance for your trailer.
REGISTERING THE BOAT: go to service Canada to acquire a new set of boat Reg. Numbers. (again bring all documents). You can do this by mail or in person.

That is it. (1st time was a breeze just make sure you follow every step exactly).

02-11-2012, 04:18 PM
no value added tax?

02-14-2012, 11:58 AM
when i did it a few years ago, had to pay federal and prov sales tax on full amount.
still was a huge saving vs buying my MC in Canada

02-14-2012, 02:46 PM
All that and no pics or description of the boat? Epic FAIL

02-14-2012, 08:55 PM
Those guys from BC :rolleyes:

02-14-2012, 11:18 PM
yea, whats with all these posts on new boats and no new pictures? Is this RD's 197 WTT?

02-15-2012, 03:09 AM
Ya, that's pretty much the routine. I've done it twice. It can get tricky at the Canadian border with a boat/trailer that's from a non-title state (like Tennessee) when the official demands to see a title that does not exist. :(

02-15-2012, 04:48 PM
When I brought mine up, I paid the tax on the boat at the border, and the tax on the trailer when I insured it with ICBC.