PDA

View Full Version : Perfect pass wakeboard pro

Dangodz
02-10-2012, 10:02 AM
Hey! Just looking into perfectpass wakeboard pro. It is used since 2007. The guy told me it was a universal fit. Is it true? What are the stuff to check on the kit? I own a tristar 89

bturner2
02-10-2012, 10:10 AM
Not so fast. 2007 should be drive by wire and your TriStar would not. This would not be completely compatible as far as I know. Call PP directly to be sure. They have great customer service.

willyt
02-10-2012, 10:26 AM
Yup, 07 and 89 will not be compatible.

Jeff d
02-10-2012, 10:43 AM
He did say it was "used SINCE 2007" which doesn't necessarily mean it was on an '07 model year boat. My PP StarGazer has been "used since 2011" but is on an '00 model.

The two main "flavors" of Perfect Pass would be DBW or Non-DBW. The other variable is the servo cable. They're not universal but rather specific to the engine/throttle body layout. So if it is a non-DBW (i.e. has the throttle control servo) system then you may be able to make it work but will likely need to get the appropriate cable for your application from Perfect Pass.

Dangodz
02-10-2012, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the tips! So what is the info i need to gather before calling pp? Serial number of the module? On what boat/engine was it used?

What does drive by wire mean?

Dangodz
02-10-2012, 10:55 AM
http://qc.kijiji.ca/c-autos-et-vehicules-bateaux-vehicules-marins-pieces-remorques-accessoires-PERFECT-PASS-WAKEBOARD-PRO-systeme-complet-pret-a-installer-W0QQAdIdZ294619376 here is the link for the device...any recommendations?

Jeff d
02-10-2012, 10:56 AM
What does drive by wire mean?

Perfect Pass and others call it "Drive By Wire" but I think "Throttle By Wire" is more appropriate. DBW implies steering controls via an electronic linkage to me.

Instead of having a direct mechanical linkage (i.e. stiff cables that physically move back and forth) between the throttle lever and the throttle body/carb there is an "electronic" link. When you move the throttle control you're moving a little sensor which in turn tells the computer to open/close the throttle appropriately via a servo mounted to the throttle body. This gives the computer some discretion over the rate of acceleration and speed. PP "hacks" into that system to control the throttle.

Most manufacturers went to a DBW/TBW system around 2006.

Jeff d
02-10-2012, 10:58 AM
http://qc.kijiji.ca/c-autos-et-vehicules-bateaux-vehicules-marins-pieces-remorques-accessoires-PERFECT-PASS-WAKEBOARD-PRO-systeme-complet-pret-a-installer-W0QQAdIdZ294619376 here is the link for the device...any recommendations?

That's definitely a Non-DBW system since you can see the throttle control servo in the pic. So, with the appropriate cable for your application it should work but I'd contact PP first.

They will want to know the year, model and engine to tell you which cable you'd need.

Dangodz
02-10-2012, 11:00 AM
Is it reasonnably priced? Parts to inspect?

Jeff d
02-10-2012, 11:00 AM
I doubt the cable will be cheap. Probably $90-100 or so. That puts you at $900 which is about what you can get a new PP Wakeboard Pro for when they go on sale. So, it doesn't appear to be a great deal unless you can get them to come way down.

Also, check with the seller. I don't see the paddle wheel in the pic. If he's not including that it completely destroys the deal as those are not cheap either.

Dangodz
02-10-2012, 11:03 AM
Muchos gracias jeff for your knowledge! If ever u have additional info, please don't hesitate!

Dangodz
02-10-2012, 11:07 AM
Thanks a lot for the advice jeff! Have a great day!

Jeff d
02-10-2012, 11:11 AM
Last year around this time OnlyInboards.com ran a group buy on WakeWorld and PP WakeBoard Pro (Paddle Wheel) was $940 shipped. WakeBoard StarGazer (GPS) was $1040 shipped. Both of those were US$ and for Non-DBW applications. You could contact them and see if they're offering any similar promotions.

Unless you operate on a body of water with a strong current I would get the StarGazer since you don't have to bore a big ole hole in your hull for the paddle wheel. I got the StarGazer and it was a leisurely 1.5 hr DIY install.

Dangodz
02-10-2012, 11:33 AM
Last year around this time OnlyInboards.com ran a group buy on WakeWorld and PP WakeBoard Pro (Paddle Wheel) was $940 shipped. WakeBoard StarGazer (GPS) was $1040 shipped. Both of those were US$ and for Non-DBW applications. You could contact them and see if they're offering any similar promotions.

Unless you operate on a body of water with a strong current I would get the StarGazer since you don't have to bore a big ole hole in your hull for the paddle wheel. I got the StarGazer and it was a leisurely 1.5 hr DIY install.

What is a strong current? I boat on a river and it is used only for wakeboarding and surfing.

Jeff d
02-10-2012, 12:03 PM
What is a strong current? I boat on a river and it is used only for wakeboarding and surfing.

I don't know, maybe 3+ MPH? It would depend how comfortable you'd be with the speed of the rider relative to the water being off based on your direction of travel. If there's a 3 MPH current and you set the GPS PP to 21 MPH the rider would be moving at 24 MPH when going upstream and 18 when going downstream (Relative to the water's surface). Obviously you could change the setpoint based on the direction you're going (Assuming you know the speed of the current at that spot) but that's a bit of a pain depending on the circumstances.

In the same situation if you had the paddlewheel based system it would automatically account for the current.

If the current is averaging less than 2 MPH I'd probably just get the StarGazer.

bturner2
02-10-2012, 01:58 PM
You may also want to check Skier to Skier for their pricing.....

saberworks
02-10-2012, 03:35 PM
Regarding current, when we go to the columbia we noticed that when the boat was stopped we were drifting downstream at 2.5mph. So when we tow upstream we lower the speed by 2.5 and when we to downstream we increase it 2.5 and it's golden. You just have to hit a button or two. Our runs are always either all upstream or all downstream so it's just setting it once (not doing loops on the river, that might get annoying).

Dangodz
02-10-2012, 04:43 PM
I dont really mind putting a hole through my boat...is it a big job to do and is it a lot more maintenance???....i dont really think it will make my tristar lose any value

Sent from my SGH-T959D using Tapatalk

Jerseydave
02-10-2012, 05:10 PM
I'd go GPS Stargazer, not paddlewheel. It's worth the extra $$ not to have any surging when crossing wakes, turning, etc. Stargazer just works better and smoother IMHO.

Dangodz
02-10-2012, 05:48 PM
Sorry im a frenchy! But what do you mean by surging?

Jerseydave
02-10-2012, 06:01 PM
Sorry im a frenchy! But what do you mean by surging?

Speed will change in rough water because the paddle wheel does not touch the water at times when hitting waves, rollers or when turning. I just find the Stargazer to be a more steady speed.

Dangodz
02-10-2012, 06:21 PM
Gotcha

jigster
02-11-2012, 08:05 AM
I've got a PP wakeboard pro module and gauge out of my '03 x-10 for sale at a price low enough to get you set up all in the $650 range. It is in great shape, i just upgraded to star gazer.
My module and gauge $200

Items needed direct from perfect pass:
Servo motor $139
Servo power cable $49
Throttle cable $35
Complete paddle wheel assembly $125
RPM sensor $48

FYI, the surging mentioned that can occur in heavy chop or when circling around can be minimized or eliminated by locating the paddle wheel further back on the than where mastercraft originally located it. I just did not want to drill another hole in my boat, but if you are starting from scratch you have the luxury of locating the paddle wheel wherever you desire.

BTW, i have pics of my module and gauge posted on this website in the classifieds. Look for my user name.

Thanks - jason
Jigster749@gmail.com

02ProstarSammyD
02-11-2012, 12:56 PM
^ what model gauge is it and would you well it alone?

Dangodz
02-13-2012, 11:47 AM
Pm sent!