PDA

View Full Version : Oil

Godawgs313
02-09-2012, 04:25 PM
When I had my boat serviced in the fall, the local shop put regular oil in. I have been using synthetic oil for about three years. Was thinking about just dumping it and putting synthetic back in, but I will have to start it to get the engine warm. Any advice, just run the regular,change it once or possible twice? Anyone have any feedback.

1995 prostar lt 1 engine

Double D
02-09-2012, 04:43 PM
Dumb question, but cant you just pull the plug and let it drain? It might take all night but it will come out. And even if you do have to run it, just drain the old, replace the filter, and put in the new. Standard oil change right? What am I missing? :confused:

93Prostar190
02-09-2012, 04:54 PM
I am a synthetic freak .... in cars, boats, etc .... but ....

fresh oil is good ... run the oil they put in while it is fresh and 25 hours from or so switch back ... no big deal ... as long as they use fresh oil you trust. save a few $$ the compatibility is there ...

If you want to change it now .... go ahead and do the slow drain like Double D states .... it has worked for me.

Peace.

Godawgs313
02-09-2012, 05:00 PM
Maybe dumb, but u wasted your time to read and reply! Really just wondering what people' s thoughts were on just running regular after running synthetic and if I do change it should I do it twice no way to get all of the old out with just one change.

Stx221
02-09-2012, 05:07 PM
Me personally (no real experience with boats, but quite familiar with engines) I would run the conventional oil for an oil change and then switch back to your favorite synthetic oil. No harm will be encountered for one oil change with the conventional oil after running the synthetic. They can be mixed together just fine, hence some "Synthetic Blends" that some companies sell.

You could always just run it to half your typical oil change interval if you are concerned by it. No need to waste fresh oil though.

CantRepeat
02-09-2012, 05:08 PM
Maybe dumb, but u wasted your time to read and reply! Really just wondering what people' s thoughts were on just running regular after running synthetic and if I do change it should I do it twice no way to get all of the old out with just one change.

Then you should have ask this question and not the one in the OP.

Oil and Oil mix. It's not like oil and water. You wont hurt anything by going back to dino oil.

And it seems you have taken offense to DDs "dumb question" remark. He was not saying your question was dumb, he was referring to himself and asking a dumb question. In general, you will not get sharted on at TT. Most everyone here just wants to help.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
02-09-2012, 05:12 PM
There is no harm in running regular oil after synthetic has been used, at 50 hour mark just change as usual. changing the oil twice is just wasteful but if you can't sleep because regular oil was used then by all means its your pocket book change the oil as many times as you want...

mikeg205
02-09-2012, 05:25 PM
There is no harm in running regular oil after synthetic has been used, at 50 hour mark just change as usual. changing the oil twice is just wasteful but if you can't sleep because regular oil was used then by all means its your pocket book change the oil as many times as you want...

+1 on J.Mc's advice...it all depends how deep your MC OCD is... :D

Jerseydave
02-09-2012, 07:31 PM
Drain it, re-use it in your lawn mower, tractor, snow blower, etc.

1 quart will still be in the filter, no harm no foul.
Add your synthetic oil and ski! (or barefoot) :)

And get some sleep! :D

Double D
02-09-2012, 08:16 PM
Then you should have ask this question and not the one in the OP.

Oil and Oil mix. It's not like oil and water. You wont hurt anything by going back to dino oil.

And it seems you have taken offense to DDs "dumb question" remark. He was not saying your question was dumb, he was referring to himself and asking a dumb question. In general, you will not get sharted on at TT. Most everyone here just wants to help.

At least someone understood what I was trying to say. My punctuation is correct, right? :D

HDAVIS
02-09-2012, 08:41 PM
I used to run synthetic in my Acura. The head mechanic sad I could change to regular oil at any time w/o a problem. I did-no issues. Also, the head mechanic at my MC dealership said not to use synthetic oil period. I think his logic was that most people that use synthetic do not change it as often as they should. Anyway I am very picky with my 1996 MC 190 and I am doing what my mechanic said. They use Penzoil 15W40 so that is what I use.

19_Skier
02-09-2012, 09:18 PM
I used to run synthetic in my Acura. The head mechanic sad I could change to regular oil at any time w/o a problem. I did-no issues. Also, the head mechanic at my MC dealership said not to use synthetic oil period. I think his logic was that most people that use synthetic do not change it as often as they should. Anyway I am very picky with my 1996 MC 190 and I am doing what my mechanic said. They use Penzoil 15W40 so that is what I use.

that's funny, I was told the same thing by my marine mechanic this fall regarding synthetic. I'm not totally sold on it and may actually switch to synthetic.

To the OP, mgorczak1 nailed it - if you have deep-seated MC OCD, just change it and be done!

onewheat
02-09-2012, 09:52 PM
My personal belief is that while you may get better lubrication with synthetic, I do not feel comfortable with extended change intervals. If i can buy Mobil 1 for my car for less than $10 difference to regular oil, I'll run the Mobil 1 and still change it at the same interval. That being said, I still run dino oil in the boat, as I haven't come across synthetic 15W-40 locally and I do change it regularly too.

thatsmrmastercraft
02-09-2012, 09:58 PM
The only place where a petroleum based oil is better suited than a synthetic oil is on a high mileage engine where the clearances have enlarged. On the truck I just sold, I put 451,000 miles on two 351W's that used Valvoline synthetic oil until close to over 150,000 miles each before I made the petroleum based Valvoline.

mikeg205
02-09-2012, 10:15 PM
that's you're not starting an oil discussion are you?:D:D:D:D

thatsmrmastercraft
02-09-2012, 10:22 PM
that's you're not starting an oil discussion are you?:D:D:D:D

Not me.:noface:

jdl xstar
02-21-2012, 03:31 PM
Anyone know what the recommended oil is for the L-18? Or is synthetic the way to go? I have 280 hrs ont he engine FWIW. thx

03geetee
02-21-2012, 11:00 PM
I use vegatable oil, smells nice.

JTR

mikeg205
02-22-2012, 08:04 AM

JTR

How about lard...better viscosity... :D

jdl xstar
02-22-2012, 02:46 PM

JTR

This is a good suggestion... but...are there any others? ;)

mikeg205
02-22-2012, 05:04 PM
Shell Rotella T Triple 15w40(dino) you can even go Shell T6(Synth). IF cash comes easy...Royal Purple 15w40...

jdl xstar
02-22-2012, 06:05 PM
Shell Rotella T Triple 15w40(dino) you can even go Shell T6(Synth). IF cash comes easy...Royal Purple 15w40...

Thanks for the advice. I'll get me some!

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
02-22-2012, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the advice. I'll get me some!

Your owners manual states SAE 40 CG-SJ4, any flavor you like...

mikeg205
02-22-2012, 07:46 PM
Your owners manual states SAE 40 CG-SJ4, any flavor you like...

Interesting - I would check that...the manual says 40 weight but then calls out Mastercraft part 81871001 for all motors...but calls out different oils for different motors...

http://www.mastercraft.com/files/manuals/2007%20Owners%20Manual.pdf

This engine manual calls out 15w40

http://issuu.com/ncarrera/docs/2007indmaroperatorsmanual

I hate when the manuals don't match up... I would go with the Indmar manual... better yet..call them...