PDA

View Full Version : Mastercraft mfg location

bjames
02-08-2012, 12:34 PM
I was looking at the MC facility on google earth and noticed that Sea Ray is beside the MC plant, It also looks like there is another large boat mfg plant directly south of MC. Funny how major competitors are practically neighbors.

http://maps.google.com/maps?pq=2012+boat+show&hl=en&cp=23&gs_id=2o&xhr=t&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1253&bih=825&wrapid=tljp1328721902774056&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=mastercraft+boat+company&fb=1&hq=mastercraft+boat+company&cid=0,0,6123519357220692091&ei=EbAyT7XkJqX50gHewpTUBw&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&sqi=2&ved=0CA8Q_BI

MIskier
02-08-2012, 01:11 PM
The current MC facility was Sea Ray's until they built the one across the bay from the MC factory, Sea Doo also has a facility in the same park. Cobalt had its yacht line there for awhile, now MC rents that building for mold storage. Christensen Yachts has a facility that is going in near the factory that will be capable of building 200' composite yachts.

Skiers Choice, and Malibu are also within a 30 minute drive of the factory, and Sea Ray's cruiser division is in the area too. There is actually a lot of boat building that occurs in that area.

Stritt
02-08-2012, 01:14 PM
Yamaha, EZ loader, Great lakes Canvas are in the same Industrial Park. Cobalt was going to build the Yacht line there but the economy went south. Malibu, Bryant and Supra are all down the road.

This is from my memory of being there a couple years ago, so it may have changed.

MI skier beat me to it ;)

MCVOLS
02-08-2012, 02:23 PM
As MIskier says, the MC facility was a SR facility, and SR actually operated both of them for some time, unitl the economic troubles in the '80s. It was closed and sat empty until MC bought it. SR still has another facility in Knoxville that is currently empty and for sale, along with the two that are still operating. At their height, SR had 4 facilities going in east tn, making from 16' - 40' boats.

ski/hunt
02-08-2012, 04:56 PM
Boating on the area lakes is like going to a reunion. We were eating lunch at a marina on Tellico and visiting with a fella that had worked at the factory back in 96' when our boat was built and said it was certain that he had installed the motor on our boat. His wife probably worked on the interior....It was fun to visit with those folks....good people!!

Stritt
02-08-2012, 05:04 PM
I think the MC factory, back in the period Sea-Ray owned it was used for the production of the Pachanga line (their version to compete with Scarab etc.)

Did anyone go to the factory back in the Shirley Family Farm days? Amazing the quality they were able to achieve with the facilities they used.

ksdaoski
02-08-2012, 05:04 PM
Pooling effect

trickskier
02-08-2012, 06:49 PM
I think the MC factory, back in the period Sea-Ray owned it was used for the production of the Pachanga line (their version to compete with Scarab etc.)

Did anyone go to the factory back in the Shirley Family Farm days? Amazing the quality they were able to achieve with the facilities they used.

True - But they only had one hull.

MCVOLS
02-09-2012, 08:43 AM
Going through the original 'factory' (A.K.A. series of misc buildings) was pretty cool. Low overhead, and kept it simple. I think they build there longer than most people think. I went through in '91 or '92 if I recall correctly.

Seems like the house and lake were for sale a few years back. I think they had a 4 ball course on that lake for awhile. Had to stop on each end, no room to turn.

tdjaster
02-12-2012, 10:13 PM

Believe it or not, I've actually skied on that lake...it's tiny.

thatsmrmastercraft
02-12-2012, 11:33 PM
Believe it or not, I've actually skied on that lake...it's tiny.

Wow, looks like that would be a squeeze.