PDA

View Full Version : Questions about my new Prostar 205v

Rukowh
02-07-2012, 02:13 PM
I recently acquired a new to me 1999 prostar 205V. The boat has just over 120 hrs on it and is in near mint condition. I know the previous owner and know that it was dealer maintained and spent it's life so far in covered storage. It's the more stripped down version but is V drive with the 330 hp LTR engine. I ordered a new dimension tower for it and managed to slip in under the wire for the 15% off winter sale. It will be here in a week or so. The tower is the 2003 style zero flex flyer. I'm also gonna add ballast and hlcd's but I need to recover from the tower purchase first. Ive been shopping for a new cover and I think I'm on the right track but would appreciate some input. I'm thinking that I should order an exact fit cover for a 2003 x-star with zero flex flyer tower so the leg holes will be in the right place. As I understand it the actual dimension of the 99' prostar 205v and the 99' thru 05' x-star and maybe the pre pickle fork x-2 boats are the same as far as length, beam, windshield placement etc. it seems that maybe boatinggearcenter.com is the cheapest shipped on sharkskin and sunbrella exact fit covers that I have found. They are made by Westland. I have a black sharkskin from the same manufacturer on my old centurion true trac 2 that is great. Is sunbrella worth the extra money? I want to be able to trailer it with the cover on.
Any input as far as whether I'm right or wrong on the cover size or on what quality of cover would be appreciated.

CantRepeat
02-07-2012, 03:01 PM
I'd wait until you have the tower installed before you buy a cover.

After that I recommend http://www.skiboatcovers.com/index.html they make some really great covers.

JRW160
02-07-2012, 03:10 PM
You want a 2003 X-2 cover. 2003 was the first year of the pickle fork xstar.

willyt
02-07-2012, 03:33 PM
Could get away with a 2004 X2, 00 to 02 star cover as well. Congrats on purchasing one of the best hulls ever (though I may be a bit partial).

JRW160
02-07-2012, 04:02 PM
Could get away with a 2004 X2, 00 to 02 star cover as well. Congrats on purchasing one of the best hulls ever (though I may be a bit partial).
I think the tower was different in 2000.

BrianT
02-07-2012, 04:06 PM
The 99 and 2000 towers mount different. The rear points mount further forward towards the windhield more that the later versions.

Rukowh
02-07-2012, 04:31 PM
The 99' and 00' towers were different for sure but I think the hulls and decks were the same thru 05' at least. I have read that the hull and deck configuration could be found under one name or another as late as 07' some say 09' but with the towers changing in 06' and again in 07'. When I talk to the cover rep.s on the phone they stop listening when I say I'm putting a tower on a 205. I'm thinking I'll get the cover and have it handy while im installing the tower to make sure everything lines up and fits right. I think if i put the cover on, mark where the holes are and see if that has any effect on the rest of it. I'm probably over thinking it but all I've got is time right now. (still 40 degrees out) Thanks for the input. I'm really excited about this boat. Even though it's 13 years old I really feel like Im a big shot to have such a fine machine at my disposal. Now it's time to part ways with my old centurion.

Rukowh
02-07-2012, 04:37 PM
The 99' and 00' towers were different for sure but I think the hulls and decks were the same thru 05' at least. I have read that the hull and deck configuration could be found under one name or another as late as 07' some say 09' but with the towers changing in 06' and again in 07'. When I talk to the cover rep.s on the phone they stop listening when I say I'm putting a tower on a 205. I'm thinking I'll get the cover and have it handy while im installing the tower to make sure everything lines up and fits right. I think if i put the cover on, mark where the holes are and see if that has any effect on the rest of it. I'm probably over thinking it but all I've got is time right now. (still 40 degrees out) Thanks for the input. I'm really excited about this boat. Even though it's 13 years old I really feel like Im a big shot to have such a fine machine at my disposal. Now it's time to part ways with my old centurion.

Jeff d
02-07-2012, 04:49 PM
I can't comment on the fit of the X-Star cover on your boat but I did just buy a sunbrella Westland Exact Fit cover for my boat and it's pretty nice. I got it for $450 shipped from OpenTip.com but the 10% off coupon that I used expired.

I had a SharkSkin Westland cover before but it was dry rotten which ripped easily and left dust all over the interior even after washing the cover. I'm not sure how old the cover was as it came with the boat when I bought it used. Sunbrella is supposed to breathe better (Less Mildew/Faster drying) and last longer but you have to apply a treatment to the fabric annually to make it shed water. Otherwise the rain will go through it.

The fabric is the same but I doubt the quality of the assembly is quite as good as some of the $800+ custom covers. Fit is really good on my MariStar 230 but I need to cut and modify it to clear my aftermarket tower legs.

Jeff d
02-07-2012, 04:56 PM
Oh, and it looks like OpenTip.com has the sunbrella '03 X-Star cover for a lot less than BoatingGearCenter (~$602 vs. $712 shipped):
http://www.opentip.com/Sporting-Goods/Westland-Mca-Mastercraft-Xstar-Zeroflex-Flyer-Tower-Covers-Swim-Platform-p-2405376.html

Google for OpenTip.com coupon codes too and you might be able to get that price down another 10% or so like I did.

JRW160
02-07-2012, 05:14 PM
The 99' and 00' towers were different for sure but I think the hulls and decks were the same thru 05' at least. I have read that the hull and deck configuration could be found under one name or another as late as 07' some say 09' but with the towers changing in 06' and again in 07'. When I talk to the cover rep.s on the phone they stop listening when I say I'm putting a tower on a 205. I'm thinking I'll get the cover and have it handy while im installing the tower to make sure everything lines up and fits right. I think if i put the cover on, mark where the holes are and see if that has any effect on the rest of it. I'm probably over thinking it but all I've got is time right now. (still 40 degrees out) Thanks for the input. I'm really excited about this boat. Even though it's 13 years old I really feel like Im a big shot to have such a fine machine at my disposal. Now it's time to part ways with my old centurion.Hull and deck were the same through 2011. 1999-2002 it was the xstar, 2003-2005 as the X-2, and 2006-2011 as the X-1. I believe towers were the same 1999-2000, 2001-2004, 2005 was unique, then 2006-2011. This thread explains some of the history, but I'm not sure it's been updated in a while.
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=15198

Rukowh
02-07-2012, 05:15 PM
I have the factory mastercraft cover on the 205 now. I had the seams re-sewn at a local shop because the thread dry rotted. It would probably be ok if I weren't adding a tower. Also the stock cover is gray and I want either black or red, haven't decided. The boat is black on white, white interior with black seams. My Westland cover on my centurion seems to be as good or maybe even better constructed than the stock MC cover. The sharkskin does seem to trap a lot of moisture underneath. I'm probably gonna get some sort of dehumidifier to stick in the engine bay. I can get the Westland sharkskin with choice of about 10 colors for 302.00 with 5 year warranty from boatinggearcenter. I got a membership with them awhile back that's good for an additional 5% off and they ship free over 100.00.

Rukowh
02-07-2012, 05:18 PM
JRW160

Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for.

bkblaida
02-07-2012, 06:15 PM
We went with a custom cover and a non-breathable but very durable fabric. To avoid the wet interior as well as the scorching hot interior on sunny days we had a 12" by 14" zipper opening put in the front (over the open bow area) and the back (behind the motor cover). The opening has a nylon screen to prevent any foreign material getting in the boat. When open we get a nice air flow that keeps the interior cooler and allows it to dry out while being covered. Zip it closed and it prevents rain etc. from getting in.

nmcjr
02-07-2012, 11:11 PM
Beware black covers if you are thinking of going that direction, I've seen where black covers have cooked vinyl if left in the sun.

Rukowh
02-08-2012, 10:09 AM
Just ordered my cover. $303.00 shipped. I went ahead and ordered a new impeller while I was at it so I could get the 5% and free shipping on that too. With the graphics on my boat I just couldn't resist the black cover. I haven't had any issues with my other black one on my centurion. The MC will be in the barn when it's not on the way to the lake so I hope the black doesn't cause any vinyl issues. I had read on here somewhere that some of the black canvas factory covers were staining white vinyl but I think that was more of a mold or mildew issue. This cover won't have the Mastercraft logo over the windshield so I think I'll stencil it on with some vinyl paint.

02ProstarSammyD
02-16-2012, 05:43 PM
whered you get the cover? That vinyl paint is a waste of time if its going to be exposed btw.