PDA

View Full Version : Zippers or Velcro for tower leg holes in cover

Jeff d
02-07-2012, 10:44 AM
I'm going to be modifying a sunbrella cover to accomidate the legs of my aftermarket tower. I've researched some and it looks like it's about 1/2 and 1/2 on people using zippers vs. velcro without any real mention of the merits of one vs. the other.

I know with zippers I'd need to make a little flap behind them to prevent them from rubbing the gelcoat but I'd have to do the same but on the front to accommodate the velcro flaps anyway.

For the rope I was thinking about making a long flap the width between the tower legs that would velcro open. Inside I'd have a rope ratchet on one side to tighten it up:
http://images.motorcycle-superstore.com/ProductImages/OG/0000-Snobunje-Sidewinder-Rope-Ratchet-Black.jpg
And on the other just some sort of clip to connect the ropes together easily.

I'd prefer the ratchet or tensioning mechanism to be on one side rather than at the rear since I park it up against the wall.

Any other ideas?

BrooksfamX2
02-07-2012, 11:36 AM
I would think zippers would be a PITA and velcro seems to work well and thats whats on the OEM covers. Also, I have seen the rope ratchet on both sides on some aftermarket covers but one used as you mentioned could work also I would think..........

LaRue
02-07-2012, 11:36 AM
i am converting mine also and since i have the ratchet on the back i am going with this style around the tower legs. Not sure if this helps you or not but thought i would throw it out there.
(Not my photos)

JohnnyB
02-07-2012, 11:56 AM
i am converting mine also and since i have the ratchet on the back i am going with this style around the tower legs. Not sure if this helps you or not but thought i would throw it out there.
(Not my photos)

Mine is like the picture except that there is about 1" of material forming a 'cuff' around the tower leg...

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

Jeff d
02-07-2012, 12:32 PM
Ideally I'd have webbing instead of rope but I think the hem in the cover is too small for it to move freely. If I used clips I'd be worried about the loose end of the rope ending up pulled back into the hem and having to dig it out. I need to figure out some kind of non-marring clip for the rope that's still strong enough to handle the tension. Not sure if this would be strong enough but looks appealing:
http://www.sailrite.com/Snap-Clip-for-Flags-Nylon-3-8-Black