PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Fluid coming out of breather vent

85badger
02-07-2012, 09:18 AM
While winterizing my 05 X-2 last fall on trailer with a fake a lake, I noticed after a few minutes that tranny fluid was coming out of the breather vent on the tranny. I'm fairly mechanical but can't imagine how this was happening. So, after some investigation, I noticed that my raw water impeller was bad and some of the pieces were caught in front of the tranny cooler. Could this cause it to over heat sitting on the trailer, I'm at a loss!

mayo93prostar
02-07-2012, 09:41 AM
yes it could. you should have noticed a high temp on engine too. check your tranny fluid level when warm, it could be high.

85badger
02-07-2012, 09:52 AM
The engine temp was normal, maybe just a tick above 160. I can't see how it (oil) could expand that much after 2 seasons on it.

FrankSchwab
02-07-2012, 02:15 PM
Check the transmission fluid for water contamination. Perhaps the hose water was being forced into the transmission fluid in the cooler, raising the fluid level and eventually shooting it out the vent. Because you haven't run it, they may not be mixed and the water may be sitting in the bottom. Looking at the fluid level will tell you - if it's above full, I'd recommend a quick drain and water check.

85badger
02-07-2012, 05:38 PM
after doing some reading that's the only reason I can think that it could raise the fluid level enough, but the boat only has 300 hours on it so I can't image the tranny cooler having a hole in it. I'll check it next time I'm out there.

GoneBoatN
02-07-2012, 05:43 PM
Although the boat has only 300 hours of engine time, the boat has had years for the transmission fluid cooler to rust. You can have the transmission fluid cooler pressure tested and given your problem it may be a very good idea.

85badger
03-16-2012, 11:28 AM
Well the time has come to figure out what's going on this weekend. Addressing the rusting issue, I was under the impression that these are made out of brass. Will post up what I find.

85badger
03-19-2012, 09:43 AM
Update: I had the chance to inspect the tranny this weekend. I changed the oil by pumping it out, no water and it was very black. I also took the tranny filter out and cleaned it. It was very dirty. I didn't put the boat in the water to check it but I'm hoping that I was able to eliminate the problem.