PDA

View Full Version : 1981 S&S head gasket question

Qwaxalot
02-04-2012, 04:02 PM
And, for my first post, I present you with a totally stupid issue.

When winterizing our very cherry '81 S&S last fall, I stupidly managed to squirt the little plastic tube on the engine fogger can into one of the cylinders. At least I think that's where it went.

Now, I know this qualifies for the newbie screw up of the year, and that I will probably have to pull the head to dig it out; can anyone give me some guidance?

The boat only has 370 hours on it, and (until I screwed up, presumably) ran perfectly (I'm old).

Please be gentle.

Lumbergh
02-04-2012, 04:09 PM
You are not the first one by a long shot to do this, from what I've read.

I do believe the solution is to pull the head...

WD-40 and the permanently attached nozzle is one way to avoid this. My neighbor swears by it to do his cylinders vs fogging oil/marvel mystery.

Sorry for your predicament. That has to be an awful feeling, doing the right thing and causing a bigger problem.

Qwaxalot
02-04-2012, 05:03 PM
You are not the first one by a long shot to do this, from what I've read.

I do believe the solution is to pull the head...

WD-40 and the permanently attached nozzle is one way to avoid this. My neighbor swears by it to do his cylinders vs fogging oil/marvel mystery.

Sorry for your predicament. That has to be an awful feeling, doing the right thing and causing a bigger problem.

Thanks for the reply. I just feel like an idiot. I've been winterizing boats for more than 40 years, and this is the first time I've pulled such a stupid stunt.

Can anyone direct me to a source for the proper gaskets, head bolts and torque specs? (It's a 351 PCM engine). :mad:

03geetee
02-04-2012, 05:09 PM
So your saying that the thing fell into the spark plug hole while you were fogging it? If that is the case and you havent rotated the motor I would seriously try a small instrument with something tacky on the end, or one of those small grabber things first. At this point what do you have to loose?

Just a thought.

JTR

Qwaxalot
02-04-2012, 05:27 PM
So your saying that the thing fell into the spark plug hole while you were fogging it? If that is the case and you havent rotated the motor I would seriously try a small instrument with something tacky on the end, or one of those small grabber things first. At this point what do you have to loose?

Just a thought.

JTR

Yeah, I tried a bore scope, couldn't see the swizzle stick. The idea of trying an instrument with something sticky did not occur to me. I'll try that before pulling the head... Thanks.

1redTA
02-04-2012, 06:06 PM
I'd try a vacuum as well, anything to keep from pulling the head

Cloaked
02-04-2012, 07:48 PM
....Can anyone direct me to a source for the proper gaskets, head bolts and torque specs? (It's a 351 PCM engine). :mad:
Skidim may have them.

oldairboater
02-06-2012, 06:48 PM
Before I would pull that head I would try to make sure that the straw is in the cylinder. Then I would take a piece of good limber wire with either grease or tape on the end and go fishing. I would be sure to take the time to set up a bright light that shines into the cylinder while letting me work there. That way if you get a bite you might see it and have needle nose pliers that grasp the straw better.

onewheat
02-07-2012, 12:25 AM
Yeah, I tried a bore scope, couldn't see the swizzle stick. The idea of trying an instrument with something sticky did not occur to me. I'll try that before pulling the head... Thanks.

If a bore scope doesn't show the extension in the cylinder - why would you pull the head?

cjprostar
02-07-2012, 06:23 AM
I would turn the engine over until the piston was at the top and see if it is there. You may be able to hook it with a coat hanger then. But, if you did'nt see it with a bore scope I doubt it's in there.

C J

thatsmrmastercraft
02-07-2012, 09:55 AM
I think you are getting too concerned over nothing. As soon as you fire the engine up, that little plastic straw will melt down and be blown through. Fire it up in the driveway and you might find the little blob of plastic when it comes out.

ski_king
02-07-2012, 11:18 AM
I think you are getting too concerned over nothing. As soon as you fire the engine up, that little plastic straw will melt down and be blown through. Fire it up in the driveway and you might find the little blob of plastic when it comes out.

My thoughts as well, but then again it isn't my boat.

rjracin240
02-07-2012, 11:46 AM
I would turn the engine over until the piston was at the top and see if it is there. You may be able to hook it with a coat hanger then. But, if you did'nt see it with a bore scope I doubt it's in there.

C J

Share your embarrasement having done the same thing.

Agree you should have seen it with the borescope, would look real close in the bilge and surrounding area.

I got my straw out by turning motor over real slow, looking into plug hole with a strong light, and when I was able to see it fishing it out with a piece of safety wire. Good luck and I hope you have a lot of patience!

ahhudgins
02-07-2012, 12:47 PM

I second that statement. The time and labor involved pulling the intake and head aren't worth it to me even if I was 100% sure it was in the cylinder. The plastic tube won't hurt a thing. I'd spend no more than 30 minutes with a piece of wire and some sticky tape and then I'd fire it up....but that's just me.:D

Qwaxalot
02-07-2012, 01:11 PM
Thanks to all of you for the replies and advice.

The reason I couldn't see it with borescope is that it was too big for the spark plug hole.

I diligently searched the bilges and area around the motor to no avail.

I'll be borrowing a 1/4" scope, and will see what I can see.

If no luck with the scope and trying some of the techniques suggested here; I'll be strongly tempted to fire it up and see what happens.

I really, really don't want to tear it down :(

Thanks again to all of you.

EricB
02-07-2012, 01:48 PM
Just think of it in these terms; In the battle between the heat of the combustion process and hot metal vs. plastic, who's gonna win that one...

aquaman
02-07-2012, 02:21 PM
It will only be a puff of smoke.....maybe. :)

No problem.

rjracin240
02-08-2012, 07:39 AM
Thanks to all of you for the replies and advice.

The reason I couldn't see it with borescope is that it was too big for the spark plug hole.

I diligently searched the bilges and area around the motor to no avail.

I'll be borrowing a 1/4" scope, and will see what I can see.

If no luck with the scope and trying some of the techniques suggested here; I'll be strongly tempted to fire it up and see what happens.

I really, really don't want to tear it down :(

Thanks again to all of you.

Now I understand why you did not see it with the scope, with a smaller diameter scope and being able to fish it through the sparkplug hole you should be able to see it. I know when I fished my plastic straw out it would disappear in that cylinder for a while before it would pop back into sight.
The sticky tape technique sounds good but unfortunately you still need to do some pretty good sweeps in there to find it and you need to be cautious you dont knock the tape off and then be left with more junk in there.
Coat hanger wire worked pretty good for me, you can always put some plug valve grease (which is pretty sticky) on the end of it and make some sweeps that way to hopefully fish the tube close to the sparkplug hole. Be patient once you get it to the hole, use either a small narrow pair of needle nose to grab it and pull it out or else some stiff wire bent with a hook in the end to hook it. Chance are when you do find the tube after fishing for it, it wont be the end of it but some place along the length of the tube. A second set of hands is usually pretty helpful at this point of recovering the tube, but be prepared you might be almost there only to have it pop back in....patience and dont take it out on your helper.

Good luck.........you got all winter to work on it