PDA

View Full Version : Looking at an X-45....help

JeffM
02-04-2012, 01:42 PM
New to this forum.....just sold our large bow rider and looking to get into a larger MC. We primarily boat in the midwest, with occasional trips to some bigger, rougher water. Need advice......we like to wakeboard, ski, tube, lots of hangin out, but we want the ride and comfort of a bigger boat. We had a 27' open bow that was awesome for everything, except watersports of course. The wake sucked, and was just a mess trying to teach my kids anything. So, is the X-45 a viable option for us? Looking for a used model, somewhere in the 07 to 10 range. What motor at minimum, what options are a must? Anyone have one I need to be looking at?

Alan-S
02-04-2012, 02:21 PM
The X-45 sounds like the right direction for you. It will most likely have more interior seating and storage than a comparable 27' open bow, however there is no head. For that you would need to look at an X-55. Provided that you will not miss it, the X-45 provides excellent wakes for wakeboarding and wakesurfing.

As far as engines go. Are you using mountain lakes or anywhere above 5,000'? If so, here in Denver, we recommend the 8.1 for used boats and 6.2 or 7.4 in the new boats. If you are looking now, I have a 2008 X-45 w/8.1 that I will be getting in on trade next week.

willyt
02-04-2012, 02:29 PM
45 or 55 sounds like a good option for you. depending on your location in the midwest i would look up your closest dealer and talk to them. I know cincymc has/had a 45 for sale. all options/motor is going to depend on what you like doing. skiing wont be great behind any of the larger boats, just the physics of having more weight in the water. if you really like to wakeboard and will be running alot of ballast, i would say the absolute minimum you could go was the LY6 - i know some people on here have reported pretty high GPH with the LY6 though. 8.1 might be the best option. I also notice you didnt mention surfing - whatever boat you get in this category it will be an AWESOME surfing boat.
you might even want to look at a 35 - super deep hull, steep deadrise (good rough water ride) and its pretty big. All depends on which model you like best.
as far as options for whatever you want to do - heater is essential.

JeffM
02-04-2012, 02:33 PM
The X-45 sounds like the right direction for you. It will most likely have more interior seating and storage than a comparable 27' open bow, however there is no head. For that you would need to look at an X-55. Provided that you will not miss it, the X-45 provides excellent wakes for wakeboarding and wakesurfing.

As far as engines go. Are you using mountain lakes or anywhere above 5,000'? If so, here in Denver, we recommend the 8.1 for used boats and 6.2 or 7.4 in the new boats. If you are looking now, I have a 2008 X-45 w/8.1 that I will be getting in on trade next week.

Won't be in the mountains......good old flat Midwest. We had a head in our last boat but never used, so won't miss it. I'm assuming you a dealer, I'd be interested in hearing about it.
Thanks

JeffM
02-04-2012, 02:38 PM
45 or 55 sounds like a good option for you. depending on your location in the midwest i would look up your closest dealer and talk to them. I know cincymc has/had a 45 for sale. all options/motor is going to depend on what you like doing. skiing wont be great behind any of the larger boats, just the physics of having more weight in the water. if you really like to wakeboard and will be running alot of ballast, i would say the absolute minimum you could go was the LY6 - i know some people on here have reported pretty high GPH with the LY6 though. 8.1 might be the best option. I also notice you didnt mention surfing - whatever boat you get in this category it will be an AWESOME surfing boat.
you might even want to look at a 35 - super deep hull, steep deadrise (good rough water ride) and its pretty big. All depends on which model you like best.
as far as options for whatever you want to do - heater is essential.

Thanks for the info......spoke to the dealer a couple times. They just don't sell many 45's. We are very average wake boarders, so lots of ballast, etc isn't a must. I haven't surfed before but want to. I like to ski but am used to skiing behind bowriders so will the 45 be comparable to that or better? If it's similar I'll be happy.

2RLAKE
02-04-2012, 03:43 PM
it should be better ... i have barefooted behind my neighbor's 45 once .. actually wasn't all that bad

call another dealer to see what they have in stock or ask here (specific location) to see if someone has one for you to see

JeffM
02-04-2012, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the info guys. We are located in Indianapolis but willing to travel. For our price range, prob want to stay in the 07-09 range.

Jerseydave
02-04-2012, 04:12 PM
FWIW I drove an X-45 in 2009 and it was nice! It handled rough water very well (Barnegat Bay NJ) and the wakeboard wake was excellent (pulled a former pro rider with 10 people in the boat and he could throw all of his tricks with no problem) I've heard the surf wake on the 45 is really nice too.

6.0 Liter or 8.1 would be the way to go. The MCX (350hp) would be a bit underpowered in my opinion. Make sure it has perfect pass and the correct prop.

MIskier
02-04-2012, 04:47 PM
Action Water Sports has a very nice white '08 for sale at their Fenton, MI location only has 65hrs. I would also check out the 35 if you're used to a 27ft. boat and being in big water. The 35 will handle ruff water more comfortably than a 45.

JeffM
02-04-2012, 04:57 PM
Action Water Sports has a very nice white '08 for sale at their Fenton, MI location only has 65hrs. I would also check out the 35 if you're used to a 27ft. boat and being in big water. The 35 will handle ruff water more comfortably than a 45.

Yeah, we've looked at it a couple times. Believe it has the mcx motor. I've had a couple people tell me to look at the 35 too. Will the hull on the 35 really overcome the weight and size of the 45 for a better ride?

MIskier
02-04-2012, 05:12 PM
Yeah, we've looked at it a couple times. Believe it has the mcx motor. I've had a couple people tell me to look at the 35 too. Will the hull on the 35 really overcome the weight and size of the 45 for a better ride?

It does have the MCX motor, but for what it sounds like you want to use the boat for it would be a fine motor.

The 35 is only about 50lbs lighter than an X-45, the X-35 is actually a bigger boat by volume. The X-45 has a decent ruff water ride due to having a stepped hull, but the X-35 will be able to provide a softer ride in ruff water at speed, as well as having a drier ride.

These two links are for product reviews of the 35 and 45. They are 2012 models, but the hulls have not changed from the years that you are looking at.

http://vimeo.com/32851179

http://vimeo.com/32851312

JeffM
02-04-2012, 05:19 PM
It does have the MCX motor, but for what it sounds like you want to use the boat for it would be a fine motor.

The 35 is only about 50lbs lighter than an X-45, the X-35 is actually a bigger boat by volume. The X-45 has a decent ruff water ride due to having a stepped hull, but the X-35 will be able to provide a softer ride in ruff water at speed, as well as having a drier ride.

These two links are for product reviews of the 35 and 45. They are 2012 models, but the hulls have not changed from the years that you are looking at.

http://vimeo.com/32851179

http://vimeo.com/32851312

Awesome. Thanks!

jvbaca
02-05-2012, 11:56 AM
Hi Jeff, I have an 05 X-45 in excellent condition with a 6.0L closed loop Cadillac northstar powerplant. Teak swim platform, high altitude and low altitude prop. Wet sounds audio system with wet sounds equalizer and a ton of other items that are standard on the 45. Always stored indoors and babied. We're looking at upgrading, if you're interested in taking a further look let me know and I can send some pics.

Jerseydave
02-05-2012, 01:13 PM
A 2009 in Long Island NY (saltwater series)

http://www.islandwatersportsny.com/Page.aspx/diid/6317594/list/InventoryList/pageId/114993/view/Details/2009-MasterCraft-X-Series-X-45.aspx

Note: this dealer is no longer a MC dealer (Malibu now) and these boats were mostly used in salt water I believe. Just an FYI :D

JeffM
02-05-2012, 03:46 PM
A 2009 in Long Island NY (saltwater series)

http://www.islandwatersportsny.com/Page.aspx/diid/6317594/list/InventoryList/pageId/114993/view/Details/2009-MasterCraft-X-Series-X-45.aspx

Note: this dealer is no longer a MC dealer (Malibu now) and these boats were mostly used in salt water I believe. Just an FYI :D

Really like the looks of this boat.....just not interested in a saltwater boat.

FourFourty
02-05-2012, 05:26 PM

I believe the 35 actually has more room inside than the 45, and they are very close in weight. The 35 is a deep v and has higher gunwales.... It has a softer/drier ride in rough water. I have not wakeboarded behind a 35, but have heard it has a great wake for wakeboarding and surfing. I would expect that the 45 (also good wakeboard and surf wake)has a better ski wake because of the hull shape.....

Either one you chose, it will have a much better watersports wake than your previous 27 footer.

JeffM
02-05-2012, 08:46 PM
I believe the 35 actually has more room inside than the 45, and they are very close in weight. The 35 is a deep v and has higher gunwales.... It has a softer/drier ride in rough water. I have not wakeboarded behind a 35, but have heard it has a great wake for wakeboarding and surfing. I would expect that the 45 (also good wakeboard and surf wake)has a better ski wake because of the hull shape.....

Either one you chose, it will have a much better watersports wake than your previous 27 footer.

I am leaning towards the 45 due to exactly what you said, a "better ski wake", if there is such a thing on this big of a boat. I want something thats decent to ski behind. So I'm assuming I won't be disappointed or wet in a 45 in some chop? When I say chop, I mean the overcrowded small Indiana lake with a two/three foot mess of boat wakes vs seawalls, etc. We get to Lake Cumberland a couple times a year, which isn't bad except during busier weekends. We aren't taking it out on Lake Michigan or anything.

Quite a few more 45's on the market right now too...

mpabreo
02-06-2012, 09:38 AM
Do NOT buy an X-45 with the MCX engine. You'll regret it if you do. Even if you aren't adding weight beyond the stock ballast, with a crew of people, and a full tank of gas that thing will struggle to plane.

blakehardesty
02-06-2012, 11:56 AM
Im almost positive Culver Marina in Culver IN has at least one. Might even be a 2011 holdover. Worth a phone call.

blakehardesty
02-06-2012, 12:03 PM
I found it. Culver is 2 hours north of you. Its actually a 2010 demo boat. Might be able to get new incentives being that it hasnt been titled and is still actually new. I have been in it and it is stuffed full of extras.

What is says on website

2010 Mastercraft X45 - Indmar LY6 - LOADED!!! 100hrs, stop by for special demo pricing!!!

GT500 MC
02-06-2012, 12:32 PM
I like that white/gray color combo. Very clean and classy.

scott023
02-06-2012, 03:15 PM
I found it. Culver is 2 hours north of you. Its actually a 2010 demo boat. Might be able to get new incentives being that it hasnt been titled and is still actually new. I have been in it and it is stuffed full of extras.

What is says on website

2010 Mastercraft X45 - Indmar LY6 - LOADED!!! 100hrs, stop by for special demo pricing!!!

That's a sharp boat.

JeffM
02-06-2012, 03:47 PM
Calling them today.....I like the looks too.....might be a little higher than what we want to spend, but if it's warranteed, might be worth a few extra bucks.......

blakehardesty
02-07-2012, 08:47 AM
Calling them today.....I like the looks too.....might be a little higher than what we want to spend, but if it's warranteed, might be worth a few extra bucks.......

Ask for Craig. He is the sales manager. Tell him I sent ya.

Vern Swieringa
02-07-2012, 05:15 PM
Do NOT buy an X-45 with the MCX engine. You'll regret it if you do. Even if you aren't adding weight beyond the stock ballast, with a crew of people, and a full tank of gas that thing will struggle to plane.

I have an '06 245 equipped with most the x45 gadgets and the MCX. We play a lot on Lake Michigan and have never had a problem being underpowered, even with 12 riders.

scott023
02-07-2012, 05:20 PM
I'd go bigger if you have the option. We use very little fuel with the 8.1L, and even with all of the extra ballast we put in, it seems the engine hardly has to work to get riders up.

Vern Swieringa
02-07-2012, 05:22 PM
Here is our 245vrs on the Kalamazoo River heading for Lake Michigan!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?p=594819#post594819

Forrest-X45
02-08-2012, 03:05 PM
As a 45 owner I would highly recommend looking for a LY6 6.0L or L18 8.1L boats only. Get the biggest engine you can!! I have never heard anyone say I have have too much horsepower. :)

The LY6 will work for most everyone out there in a 45 but if you plan on running tons of ballast or wanting top speed over 42 MPH for barefooting or other reasons you will want the L18 engine. That's from my personal experience.....

NatesGr8
02-08-2012, 04:28 PM
As a 45 owner I would highly recommend looking for a LY6 6.0L or L18 8.1L boats only. Get the biggest engine you can!! I have never heard anyone say I have have too much horsepower. :)

The LY6 will work for most everyone out there in a 45 but if you plan on running tons of ballast or wanting top speed over 42 MPH for barefooting or other reasons you will want the L18 engine. That's from my personal experience.....
I agree with what he said. I have the LY6 in mine and never had a problem with moderate to heavy loading, only once could i not get on plane. That being said i wouldn't be happy with a smaller motor. Wish i could have found one with the L18.

scott023
02-08-2012, 04:53 PM
There's no comparison between the LY6 and the L18, performance wise or fuel consumption wise. I couldn't imagine touring around with the MCX. I don't think it would do a boat of this size justice.

JeffM
02-14-2012, 08:38 PM
I'm sure this has been discussed before but how is the L18 for a motor? I have heard mixed reviews.

I thought I was sold on something bigger than the MCX, until the dealer i've been talking to who has a 45 we were interested in threw me some numbers on the boat....sounds like a great deal but I think I will always ask my self what if? I'm sure the low price reflects the MCX too but......

Still shopping as of today.....waiting for Culver Marine to make me a deal on their X-45.

WakePowell
02-14-2012, 09:46 PM
I've have a 2010 X45 with the 6.0. My previous X45 had the 8.1. I preferred the 8.1 motor for a couple of reasons. First, it got much better fuel economy. The 6.0 has to work harder and burns more fuel. Second, I never had one problem with the 8.1. My 6.0 is on its 3rd set of exhaust manifolds and second starter. The dealer has been nothing but great in making any repairs to the 6.0 but I would rather not have to bother with the issues. If you go with the 8.1 make sure you run the correct straight weight oil and not muti-viscosity.

blakehardesty
02-15-2012, 08:53 AM
I'm sure this has been discussed before but how is the L18 for a motor? I have heard mixed reviews.

I thought I was sold on something bigger than the MCX, until the dealer i've been talking to who has a 45 we were interested in threw me some numbers on the boat....sounds like a great deal but I think I will always ask my self what if? I'm sure the low price reflects the MCX too but......

Still shopping as of today.....waiting for Culver Marine to make me a deal on their X-45.

JD or Craig (dont remember which one said it) told me they just got in a 07 X-45 with the 8.1. If you go look you could see both.

erkoehler
02-15-2012, 10:32 AM
I have a 07 coming in with the 8.1. Owner is open to offers.

JeffM
02-15-2012, 02:27 PM
JD or Craig (dont remember which one said it) told me they just got in a 07 X-45 with the 8.1. If you go look you could see both.

I spoke with Craig yesterday about that as well.....not sure if the color combo will be something we are looking for, but waiting to see pics and condition.

JeffM
02-26-2012, 08:54 PM
Still looking here....anyone have any other leads on 07-09 X-45's?

PM me.

MIskier
02-26-2012, 09:13 PM
Action Water Sports has an '06 navy and red with the L18 for sale right now...

JeffM
02-26-2012, 09:24 PM
Action Water Sports has an '06 navy and red with the L18 for sale right now...

Saw that....just dropped the price too.....but really looking at the 07 and up models with the newer towers. Am I wrong to do this? It's really just a look thing for me. Guess I could learn to like something at the right price.

MIskier
02-26-2012, 09:29 PM
The '06 towers were actually some of the best MC ever produced. When they went to the new style tower in '07 they quickly learned that a flat plat has a lot less moment of inertia than a pipe which means easier deformation. That is why all the 07+ towers have to have the braces. Neither is really better than the other I too prefer the newer tower but the 06 tower is a fine tower just the same.

mccobmd
02-27-2012, 12:07 AM
06 had less electronics and ballast that comes out above the waterline. I looked at 06 and 07
X1's side by side and went with the 06. The tower sold me. Not as flashy but no paint to chip and no need for braces.